Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I do laugh
YES 12 57.14%
NO 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:28 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer778 View Post
When you see news footage of people shoveling snow, and wearing layers clothing walking on the snow and falling, etc. Do you get horrible flashbacks and Thank the Hawaiian goddess, Queen Liliuokalani for this tropical paradise where you can still live in the USA, the greatest country in the world, yet still be able have tropical weather and not fake "warm winters" like in South Florida and Southern California. But true summer weather in the dead of winter!!
Hawaii weather ? Boring

...I'll take the seasons ANY DAY.. A wonderful place to visit though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 01:00 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
We have seasons. There's rainy season, dry season, tourist season and probably a few I've forgotten about.

Seasons in Hawaii exist, they are just a lot more subtle than mainland seasons.

Right now it's planting season, especially for "cool weather" crops like Manoa lettuce and snow peas. So, while you are out shoveling snow, you can pity us poor folks out digging in the dirt planting lettuce. After which, we will all probably then go to the beach and drink mai tai's, of course. With little paper umbrellas in them.

Why do tourist drinks have paper umbrellas in them? So they will think that's the only umbrella they need? Shouldn't tourist drinks be served with tiny snow shovels in them?

Old 01-27-2014, 01:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
I just want to let you know that I will NEVER read this. Ain't nobody got time for that...
It's really only about a minute and a half read. Perhaps this will be helpful...

How to Learn Speed Reading: 13 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

It was COLD on Oahu! COLD! COLD! COLD! I had to put on socks, it was that cold. And a sweater, Of course, we were staying up near the top of Tantalus with some friends who didn't have their wood stove going so probably most folks were warmer. It was possibly down to around the mid to lower 50s or so. Might even have been colder in the dark of the night, sure seemed that way.
I've got a friend who lives near the top of Tantalus - and I agree, it can get shockingly cold, especially this time of the year. My friend did have a heater though up there and I couldn't imagine not having one.

They like it for the low rent and the commute isn't terrible - but that windy road up and down in the dark is no picnic.

It was still comfortable for shorts/t-shirt at the Pro Bowl, and was in covered seats so that helped. The rain ranged from mist to coming down quite a bit, with a little sun finally in the 4th quarter......

Old 01-27-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hawaii weather ? Boring

...I'll take the seasons ANY DAY.. A wonderful place to visit though.
At first glance your sentiment might seems a bit silly today, considering the freezing temperatures most of the mainland has been going through recently it really is one of the reasons people give for moving back to the mainland after living in Hawai'i for a while... they miss the seasons. Particularly in Northern states, I think, many people do develop strong emotional attachments to the distinctly different seasons there, and to the cultural rituals which accompany them. And some even try to emulate them, hence the Pumpkin Fest with hayrides and cider put on by a farm up in the northwest corner of the Big Island which drew people from all over the county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
We have seasons. There's rainy season, dry season, tourist season and probably a few I've forgotten about.
Well, yeah, there's High Season, although some people deny there is such a thing.

Quote:
Seasons in Hawaii exist, they are just a lot more subtle than mainland seasons.
Exactly. I love the way Mauna Kea looks when it snows up there, but I don't actually ever need to get close enough to snow to touch it again.

Quote:
Why do tourist drinks have paper umbrellas in them? So they will think that's the only umbrella they need? Shouldn't tourist drinks be served with tiny snow shovels in them?
Well that is just pure genius, Hotzcatz. I think you could make a fortune with that idea... remind people of what they're missing!

Digging around, I found that the paper cocktail umbrella was introduced to the drinking world in the 1930s at Don the Beachcomber's restaurant in Hollywood, as a way of decorating fancy and expensive "Polynesian" drinks, such as the "maitai" cocktail he had invented.

So how did it get from Hollywood to Hawai'i? After Don had built a small chain of his Polynesian themed restaurants, he went through a California divorce in which he lost control of the restaurants to his ex, and was forbidden to open any Don the Beachcomber restaurants in the United States. But Hawai'i wasn't a state yet, and there was a loophole in the agreement, so he moved to Waikiki and in 1955 opened a Polynesian themed village there, introducing mai tais and paper umbrellas, and that development was called... The International Market Place! As we all know it is soon to be replaced by a Saks Fifth Avenue and other upscale shops. But the paper umbrellas made famous by Don the Beachcomber endure, and now they can be found in bars all over the state.

One last piece of bar trivia... Don the Beachcomber was originally from Livingston, Texas.

Okole maluna, y'all!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 AM

83 posts, read 279,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's really only about a minute and a half read. Perhaps this will be helpful...

How to Learn Speed Reading: 13 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
smh...

Misses the point once again.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Misses the point once again.
Not at all. Now that it's become so clear that you're just messing with people, per the following, I don't take you seriously at all...
Quote:
But surely you must understand this philosophy, having described yourself in previous CD posts as a gay Puerto Rican Mormon, with a Belgian mother, from Manhattan... or is it Montpelier, VT?... who lives in Denver, or is it Wyoming?, or wait... nope, now it's back to NY again... who has a winter home in a gated community in Puerto Rico, but you really want to be in a gated community in Ft. Lauderdale, but now you're looking for a gated community in the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas, but maybe not after all because you're trying to open a bank account in Oregon, but still you're interested in Maine... etc.
As I've said before, I'm here to assist real people with real questions about relocating to Hawai'i, living in Hawai'i, understanding the culture, etc. per the stated Forum intentions. Pranking or game playing or engaging in rude and insulting behavior just miss the point.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 AM

83 posts, read 279,183 times
Quote:
Not at all. Now that it's become so clear that you're just messing with people, per the following, I don't take you seriously at all...

As I've said before, I'm here to assist real people with real questions about relocating to Hawai'i, living in Hawai'i, understanding the culture, etc. per the stated Forum intentions. Pranking or game playing or engaging in rude and insulting behavior just miss the point.
This website really means a lot to you, doesn't it? smh

Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
This website really means a lot to you, doesn't it? smh
Being of service to others really means a lot to me. This website is just one way to provide that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii