Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I do laugh
YES 12 57.14%
NO 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 PM

83 posts, read 279,321 times

Advertisements

When you see news footage of people shoveling snow, and wearing layers clothing walking on the snow and falling, etc. Do you get horrible flashbacks and Thank the Hawaiian goddess, Queen Liliuokalani for this tropical paradise where you can still live in the USA, the greatest country in the world, yet still be able have tropical weather and not fake "warm winters" like in South Florida and Southern California. But true summer weather in the dead of winter!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Yes, I laugh at it quite a bit. Mom gets quite a lot of texts this time of year with current temp pics of Chicago versus Hawaii and a lot of "brrrrr" messages.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,984 times
We watch the news and hear from family that it's cold but try to not rub it in. When mainland vendors ask what the weather is like, I ask them if they really want to know.

We don't laugh, we just acknowledge that we don't miss the cold. Not one bit, ever, at all, no way, nu uh.

I enjoyed a nice bodysurfing session after work today in nothing but board shorts and my fins. Can't beat it.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Since when did Queen Lilioukalani become a goddess and become in charge of the weather?

But it does get cold here, those folks on the mainland have heaters in their houses. They also have long shorts, shoes and socks!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Since when did Queen Lilioukalani become a goddess and become in charge of the weather?

But it does get cold here, those folks on the mainland have heaters in their houses. They also have long shorts, shoes and socks!
everyone else is being jovial and having fun with this thread and you gotta be a Debbie Downer.

I'm not deifying Her Majesty Queen Lilioukalani I, I'm being silly

Calm down, fact checker

Old 01-10-2014, 05:21 PM

749 posts, read 852,959 times
It does get cold here, cold and Very windy, not funny esp when you want to go to the beach but it's all dark, dreary, windy and rainy. Feel horrible for the poor tourists who will be here such a short time when the weather's like that for days.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:27 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
It does get cold here, cold and Very windy, not funny esp when you want to go to the beach but it's all dark, dreary, windy and rainy. Feel horrible for the poor tourists who will be here such a short time when the weather's like that for days.
What year was it that it rained EVERYDAY from before Christmas until almost February? I think it was the late 90's.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
What year was it that it rained EVERYDAY from before Christmas until almost February? I think it was the late 90's.
Yeah I would laugh too about the weather intell I get my electric bill, or rent is due, or want a gallon of milk or a pack of smokes. Then I hear laughing from the mainland.

I miss Oahus one month of rain in winter or its winter period. The rain water is still warm. But I can understand how that could be cold if your used to 70s everyday.

Aloha sherwoody haven't seen you around in along time. Howzit?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Yeah I would laugh too about the weather intell I get my electric bill, or rent is due, or want a gallon of milk or a pack of smokes. Then I hear laughing from the mainland.

I miss Oahus one month of rain in winter or its winter period. The rain water is still warm. But I can understand how that could be cold if your used to 70s everyday.

Aloha sherwoody haven't seen you around in along time. Howzit?
Are you South African?

Old 01-11-2014, 06:15 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer778 View Post
everyone else is being jovial and having fun with this thread and you gotta be a Debbie Downer. I'm not deifying Her Majesty Queen Lilioukalani I, I'm being silly Calm down, fact checker
Calm yourself down. I see no reason for your rudeness.

Hotzcatz has been here on the forum more than 5 years and has lived in Hawai'i many decades. She has posted 4,880 comments to date (to your 73), and has a Rep point rating of 2225 (to your 38). And she's well known around these parts as an unusually helpful and generous contributor to others, with a dry sense of humor. To me she really personifies the Aloha spirit.

FWIW, I had the same reaction to your post as she did, thinking you must be a really fresh malahini to make that big and obvious a mistake. There are goddesses in Hawai'i, yes, but Queen L is not one of them, so you didn't seem to me to be silly as much as just misinformed or confused.

Hotzcatz, on the other hand, is as close to being a goddess around this place as anyone ever needs to be, so my best advice to you would be to apologize for your ill chosen words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii