Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 PM

681 posts, read 1,212,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradMan View Post
Yes, most colleges and universities have such controls in place, although people are permitted to 'opt out' of them, as the Berkeley student did.

I have another question: how can you tell if you have immunity? I presume I was vaccinated as a child but have no idea if I had a booster (which in recent years has become required). How can you tell? I don't think I ever had measles but my parents are no longer living so I can't ask them.
Our schools here in Alaska require all of the usual childhood immunizations, so in my son's case it was just a matter of obtaining those records and getting them to UH. We also made an effort to keep the yellow shot record cards up to date when the kids received their shots. For myself, I have my shot card from my time in the military and keep it up to date.

There's a specific blood test that can be done to tell if you have immunity to measles. Also, people born before 1957 are generally considered immune since they lived through several measles epidemics and are are assumed to have been exposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,399,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
If immigrants come here legally there is a big list of vaccinations that they must have before they'll be allowed to come to the U.S., including measles and chickenpox.
And yeah....shingles is a b***h!!

CDC - Revised Vaccination Criteria, Immigration - FAQ - Immigrant and Refugee Health
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradMan View Post
What about the other ones? And what about "tourists"?

Yes - we have had numerous instances in Arizona where illegal immigrants that were apprehended were found to have various diseases we thought were eradicated in the US - whooping cough, measles, chicken pox, Hep A, B & C. There have been news reports of quarantines because of these. It's worrisome because people are required to have vaccines when they emigrate here or come as a tourist, but those sneaking across don't have those checks and balances. Hospitals here over the past several decades have seen an increase of many of these issues. Couple that with parents not wanting to give their kids vaccinations, and you have a recipe for disaster. Sooner or later it all catches up....

Old 02-20-2014, 03:18 PM

406 posts, read 868,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I had a secretary back in the 80's who had just moved from the Philippines. It wasn't measles, but she contracted Chicken Pox. It almost killed her. She was in her early 30's and had not had anything like it before. If you are new to the US and have never had the vaccination - measles and chickenpox need to be high on your list. If you HAVE had chickenpox and are nearing or past your 60's - get the Shingles vaccine. Trust me on this one. It's a nightmare!
My wife had the shingles vaccine last fall, this past Tuesday we went to the emergency room as she had a sever pain in the skin of her forehead. Yep, shingles!

Doc said the shot is 50/50 in working, but it should cause the shingles to clear up more quickly than if she had not had the shot. She had antiviral pills and has pain pills to help manage the pain. She also had to see the eye doctor because shingles in that area can get on the eyeball and can cause blindness. So far that is ok.

I had shingles back in the late 1990s at the junction of my leg and butt. At that time I was still working, sitting at a bench repairing computers. Very difficult sitting or standing! I still get a little "tingle" in that area now and then.

If you ever get shingles around your forehead are make sure you see the eye doctor!

Mickey

Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Default Second measles case confirmed

Star-Advertiser update... a second measles case has been confirmed. It's a two year old who probably caught it from the original patient.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 AM

431 posts, read 942,282 times
It's all over the country. My daughter in NY e-mailed me about outbreaks in her area. This is bad stuff, especially if pregnant women are exposed.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:38 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,827,262 times
Second measles case confirmed - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 02-26-2014, 02:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
One of the things that makes measles so dangerous is that infected people themselves become infectious about a week before symptoms present. IOW, before anybody even knows they've got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii