Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Our system is run by democrats (except for federal quals), so I don't know why you keep bringing political parties into. We are the MOST democratic state. You can say they're not, but they are. Period, no debate.
How do i say this with kindness? I don't know why you keep saying that when its obvious im debating people who have a conservative outlook on our debates.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Legalize pakalolo and gambling in Hawaii, tax the hell out of it. Put the revenue into education and infrastructure, things would turn around over here in a hurry.

Of course, that will never happen. I don't think the Missionaries ever really left.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 PM

47 posts, read 52,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
How do i say this with kindness? I don't know why you keep saying that when its obvious im debating people who have a conservative outlook on our debates.
You say that as if it is a black-mark to be conservative. To embrace freedom, true Freedom, including economic Freedom. Conservative principles built this country, and Liberalism is eating its guts out - in few places more so that Hawaii.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM

@Mikala43*

And theres the problem right there, instead of whats best for everyone and do what is right for everyone, its the opposite. Im sure the people who lived on this island before you were worried about population growth, and prices rising thru the roof when you guys wantted to move over? Didnt stop you did it? In 40 years we saw the population grow from 769,913 to over 1,400,000. We watched houses go from $94,028 forty years ago to almost 800k today, rents also tripled, but wages pretty much stayed behind the times. watched lifestyles change and investors in Hawai'i get richer while native hawaiians, long term residents had to flee the islands or move to the BI because they can't afford to live on alot of hawaii anymore. But now your concerned about the population growth.

What special economics? Supply and demand? U make it sound like its some complex ideal when it really isn't. Its "i will charge you as much as possible intel you say noway". The average home doesnt have to go for 800k.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 AM

As for me if i bought a house for 600K i wouldn't probably sell it for 1mill+. I would probably give it to my familly or someone who is like familly. Because thats who i am. Like ive said earlier none of this is idealism. Ohana and community and lifestyles were most important even 40years ago. Now its been replaced with hawaii is now a status symbol.

This has nothing to do with me, i benifit nothing if people change or don't, truth is i may never get back home. I just want to see the people love Hawai'i again. Not can you afford it? I will take 100 guys who love the aina and culture and people for that motive only over 1000 who are rich who see her as an investment with good weather etc.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-11-2014 at 12:14 AM..

Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
As for me if i bought a house for 600K i wouldn't probably sell it for 1mill+. I would probably give it to my familly or someone who is like familly.
That's nice, if you can afford to do so. I wish we could afford to give our house to a family member. Unfortunately, we need the money from the sale of our house to buy the next house.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:15 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
The average home doesnt have to go for 800k.
The "average" home in Hawaii isn't $800K, it is less. And if people aren't willing and able to pay $800K then the house won't sell for that much. Housing is so in demand that many pay over asking price on Oahu. You may not be able to afford that but many people can in Hawaii.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 AM

47 posts, read 52,865 times
Quote:
@Mikala43*

And theres the problem right there, instead of whats best for everyone and do what is right for everyone, its the opposite. Im sure the people who lived on this island before you were worried about population growth, and prices rising thru the roof when you guys wantted to move over? Didnt stop you did it? In 40 years we saw the population grow from 769,913 to over 1,400,000. We watched houses go from $94,028 forty years ago to almost 800k today, rents also tripled, but wages pretty much stayed behind the times. watched lifestyles change and investors in Hawai'i get richer while native hawaiians, long term residents had to flee the islands or move to the BI because they can't afford to live on alot of hawaii anymore. But now your concerned about the population growth.

What special economics? Supply and demand? U make it sound like its some complex ideal when it really isn't. Its "i will charge you as much as possible intel you say noway". The average home doesnt have to go for 800k.
So your true colors come out. You assert that people should live their lives in accordance to what is "best for everyone" and "do what is right for everyone". Lenin couldn't have said it better.

It is fundamental to market economics that prices are charged what the market will bear. People wouldn't any more charge less than that, than you would work for $10.00 per hour if the employers were willing to pay $15.00.

Take one massive dose of reality, repeat 4 times a day in perpetuity.

Intel, by the way, makes computer chips and other computer-related equipment.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
That's nice, if you can afford to do so. I wish we could afford to give our house to a family member. Unfortunately, we need the money from the sale of our house to buy the next house.
Im not saying im better then anyone for wanting to do that. The best way i can explain it is im kama'aina when i remember hawaii and what i love about Hawai'i it had nothing to do with shopping or condos. For me Hawai'i its culture, spirituality and lifestyle and how my experiences felt when i lived there.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Following Seas View Post
So your true colors come out. You assert that people should live their lives in accordance to what is "best for everyone" and "do what is right for everyone". Lenin couldn't have said it better.

It is fundamental to market economics that prices are charged what the market will bear. People wouldn't any more charge less than that, than you would work for $10.00 per hour if the employers were willing to pay $15.00.

Take one massive dose of reality, repeat 4 times a day in perpetuity.

Intel, by the way, makes computer chips and other computer-related equipment.
So says the person profiting the most from the way things are. Do you know that in Hawai'i 40 to 50 years ago people would of given you stink eye and probably told you go home haole because of your attitude. People in Hawai'i in the past expected people to be involved with there communities and neighborhoods. Thats why if you were kolohe on the other side of the island your ohana found out or you could leave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: