U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 07:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,367,031 times

Advertisements

Some say that Hawai'i is in good shape economicly, some say that Hawai'i is becoming a state where only the rich will be able to enjoy soon. It has come to my attention that a new report came out claiming that In terms of percentage of population in poverty, Hawaii is doing very well compared to the bulk of the US. Oahu's 10% is among the best in the nation (BI jumps to 20% though) - the state overall comes in at 12%, which compares favorably the top tier of least impoverished states.

USDA ERS - County-level Data Sets: Poverty

And another interesting statistic, climbing the ladder. They keep statistics on if you are in the bottom fifth of income, what are the chances of you rising to the top fifth. Oahu comes in ok again, at 10%, Honolulu ranks #9 in absolute upward mobility in the top 100 metro areas.

Equality of Opportunity

Is this the truth or what some say a dream of unicorns and rainbows?

Continued next post.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-08-2014, 07:59 PM

Please let me finish typing before we respond Mahalo.
Continued from above.

Lets break things down and take a different look and after everything is done maybe we will have a different perception.

1. Housing

A) Buying a Home.

According to a study forecast by the University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization (UHERO)—its prediction was that the median home price in Honolulu would climb* to $650,100 through 2013, then to $724,000 in 2014, hitting $815,000 by 2015.

Economist Paul Brewbaker tells us, “People are going to have to wrap their heads around the idea of a median single-family home price on Oahu of $1 million before the 20-teens are over. It’s conceivable home prices could double … within the 20-teens.”

Also by 2015 one median value honolulu home will equal 5.3 in vegas.

[url=http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/July-2013/Honolulu-Real-Estate-Trends-Whats-Next/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc]Honolulu Real Estate Trends: What's Next? - Honolulu Magazine - July 2013 -

Old 03-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Continued from above

B) Renting An Apartment.

According to the following source that As of February, 2014, average apartment rent within 10 miles of Honolulu, HI is $1800.

One bedroom apartments in Honolulu rent for $1520 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $2045, and climbing.

Average Rent In Honolulu, Honolulu Rent Trends and Rental Comps

2) Wages

A) In two articles the following is said in Hawaii, the most expensive state, a person needs to make $31.68 an hour to afford a two-bedroom apartment. (An apartment is considered affordable if rent and utilities cost under 30 percent of a person’s income.)

Making the Rent on Minimum Wage | Blog, Smart Charts, The Poverty Line | BillMoyers.com

As for the states, Hawaii is again tops at $32.14,

Minimum Wage Worker in D.C. Has to Toil for 132 Hours Per Week to Afford Two-Bedroom Apartment: DCist

Remember the above

Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,029,323 times
These kinds of studies always leave out some important details.

Why would "a person" who works the mythical minimum wage be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in an expensive city in the first place?

Minimum wage is for new and/or unskilled workers.
If an employee is still working minimum wage after a couple of years, it says a lot about that employee and their lack of ambition as well as the inability to do something to better themselves.

Besides, minimum wage on Oahu, is more like $9 - $10 per hour because that is what the market demands.
Even Wal-Mart on the Big Island starts people around $9hr and I routinely see the local fast food places advertising $9hr on up, to start, plus free and/or reduced price meals.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 PM

Continued from above

B) Real Wages

According to the UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF LABOR OCCUPATIONAL EMPLOYMENT AND WAGES IN HONOLULU
May 2012 stats that not more then 50% of the wages meet the Mean hourly wages of above.

OCCUPATIONAL EMPLOYMENT AND WAGES IN HONOLULU- MAY 2012

3) Cost of Living

Hawai'i ranks highest for Cost of Living
Hawai'i ranks highest for cost of goods and services.
Hawai'i ranks highest for electrical costs
Hawai'i ranks highest for gas
Hawai'i ranks highest for food cost

Living Hawaii: Why Is the Price of Paradise So High? - Honolulu Civil Beat

4) Poverty

According to the snap program of Hawai'i you can earn between

1 person 100% Net Monthly Income $1072
1 person 200% Monthly Gross Income $2144

To be eligible.

In 2012, SNAP helped put food on the table for an estimated*90,534 Hawaii families each month.

SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (SNAP) | Benefit, Employment & Support Services

The federal goverment knows how expensive Hawai'i is so to them your need affordable housing if you make less then

Old 03-08-2014, 09:17 PM

11,973 posts, read 16,404,597 times
You may want to change the thread title - Economicly is not a word. Perhaps you meant, "Economically"?

Thank you for post #1, Mahalo for sharing! When I read the stories, it indicated that poverty in Hawaii is not nearly as bad as much of the rest of the United States. It also seemed to indicate upward mobility is better than average in Hawaii. Wow, that's good for Hawaii, isn't it?

I read some of the other stories also. Interesting. I was kind of curious, why would a single worker need to "Toil" (article wording) for a 2 bedroom apartment? That seemed kind of odd to me. Aren't Studio and 1-bedroom apartments available, why does a single person need a 2-bedroom?

Anyway.

I just saw some interesting census - facts.

In the entire state of Hawaii - median household income is $67,492 compared to $53,046 for the rest of the US. Whew, I guess some people can afford more rent or a higher house payment.

Poverty. According to the Census, 10.8% in Hawaii versus 14.9% in the rest of the US! Wow, isn't everyone poor in Hawaii?

Hawaii QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Let's take Oahu - where, most of the people live - 70% give or take.

Median Household income - $72,292 (that's nearly $20,000 more than the average in the US, or $1,650/month - seems like that would cover housing - yay Hawaii!!

Persons below poverty level - 9.6% (US average 14.6%)

Honolulu County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Is the US Government in on the conspiracy?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 PM

Continued from above

$54,850 a year gross for one person. Simple math 54,850 divided by 12 = 4570.83 a month to be accepted into affordable housing(hud)

Hawaii Public Housing Authority - State of Hawaii

So how many % wise does this cover for residents in hawaii?
Unfortantly the lines for this help is years long.

In conclusion, it appears not everything is ok. Further its a 1 and every ten people who work just as hard, who make the same good choices will have a chance to make it from the bottom fifth to the upper fifth? Not good odds. So it would be safe to say 1 in every five would make it to middle income.

Point is it appears hawaii is turning into a playground where only the rich will enjoy in the future.

What do you think?

Ok done mahalo for your patience.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
These kinds of studies always leave out some important details.

Why would "a person" who works the mythical minimum wage be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in an expensive city in the first place?

Minimum wage is for new and/or unskilled workers.
If an employee is still working minimum wage after a couple of years, it says a lot about that employee and their lack of ambition as well as the inability to do something to better themselves.

Besides, minimum wage on Oahu, is more like $9 - $10 per hour because that is what the market demands.
Even Wal-Mart on the Big Island starts people around $9hr and I routinely see the local fast food places advertising $9hr on up, to start, plus free and/or reduced price meals.
You would think wages would keep up with market demands but it hasn't min wage in hawaii is $7.25 Minimum Wage Rates for 2014

Further its whats inportant about that article was the 32hr.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:43 PM

720 posts, read 751,984 times
Default Income is tied to cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Median Household income - $72,292 (that's nearly $20,000 more than the average in the US, or $1,650/month - seems like that would cover housing - yay Hawaii!!
Incomes are higher but it isn't comparable to everywhere else. The cost of living in Hawaii is very high. In particular, housing is very expensive, food is much more expensive, and Hawaiians pay really high taxes because they are dinged by their state and local governments for all sorts of things the rest of the country isn't. So that $72,292 a year doesn't go nearly as far in Hawaii as it does in other states (excepting Alaska, and Hawaii is even more expensive than Alaska) and in most other U.S. communities.

Last edited by pgrdr; 03-08-2014 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 PM

11,973 posts, read 16,404,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post

So that $72,292 a year doesn't go nearly as far in Hawaii as it does in other states (except Alaska, and Hawaii is even more expensive than Alaska) and in most other U.S. communities.
I agree that $72,292 doesn't go as far in Hawaii as in other states, but the point is, most households in the other states don't make $72,292 - the median is so much higher in Hawaii than most places in the US to cover the higher cost of living - and the poverty rate is very low in Hawaii compared to much of the US.

If you are uneducated in Hawaii or fresh off the boat with little skills from the mainland making $7.25/hr., yep, that will be a tough go of it.

Last edited by whtviper1; 03-08-2014 at 10:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: