Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 03:20 PM

198 posts, read 388,046 times

Advertisements

Thought you might like to read this:

So you want to live in Hawaii? Part 1 | Kauai, Hi.

Part 1 Finding Your Flow

Of course you do! It’s paradise after all; Heaven on Earth; Huna Holy Land. There is even a popular book titled as such found in nearly every brokerage office across the island dedicated to helping you make a smooth move. Together with “Hawaii Real Estate Statutes” and “Hollywood goes Hawaii”, “So you Want to Live in Hawaii” comprises the trinity of educational texts required to keep Real Estate professionals sufficiently armed with advice to assist you. But books can only go so far in preparing you for this life altering change. So, to echo the words of radio personality Paul Harvey, now for the rest of the story…
As a Malihini (or newbie) to Hawaiian living, I’m constantly going through what I affectionately call my “Haole Initiation”. My days are often full of wild and wacky moments that act as a rite of passage of sorts. Just when I think I have seen and heard it all, Hawaiian Hijinks will strike again. While not a comprehensive list, I wish to share a few of the lessons I learned in hopes of illuminating a smoother path for you to follow during your Hawaiian relocation.
  1. No Hurries No Worries: Living in Hawaii requires a flexible balance between constantly shifting plans and unforeseeable delays. Don’t let it extinguish your aloha.
  2. Conservation Consciousness: With electricity rates nearly triple that of the mainland, long hot showers cost $20 each. Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get the picture.
  3. Poor in Paradise: We’ve all experienced some version of sticker shock at the checkout line. Even though we are capable of growing nearly anything, nearly everything is imported.
  4. Business Attire: Slippers (aka, flip-flops) are work appropriate in most offices and anyone wearing a full blown suit looks alarmingly out of place.
  5. Sun Guilt: Feel like you need to hibernate with a movie marathon? With Hawaii’s sun and endless outdoor activities, days of rest are often permeated with guilt.
  6. Not Everyone is on Vacation: However, you will work as an unpaid tour guide on a daily basis. Or worse, you may find yourself operating a free “friends and family” bed and breakfast.
  7. Ocean Obsession: “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” ~ Jacques Cousteau
  8. You Can Run but you Can’t Hide: With our size, remoteness, and the fact that everybody is somebody’s uncle, you must behave. Aloha is here to stay, and if you intend to be, adopt it quick.
  9. Everyone is a Minority: The convergence of cultures ensures a dynamic acceptance of various traditions. Aloha keeps it peaceful.
  10. Creepy Crawlies: Centipedes, mosquitoes, ants, spiders, fleas, ticks, termites, roaches – you name it. They are inevitable and require you spend a little extra TLC in your home to keep them at bay.
  11. Wheel of Fortune Hawaii Style: Pat, I’d, like a K please, and an L, M, N, and possibly P. I’ll also buy an A and U. Hmm, I still can’t quite pronounce it…
  12. Attitude of Apathy: Between the remote locale and active outdoor lifestyle, you’ll find it increasingly difficult to keep up with current events.
  13. Mystical Folklore: Talk story with any local and they’ll have an experience to share. Keep yourself open to the magic.
  14. No Complaining Allowed: No matter how legitimate the frustration, your friends on the mainland don’t want to hear it.
Stay tuned for more in this 6 part series, including tips for shipping and registering your vehicle, obtaining your Kama’aina card, adjusting to the high-cost of living, long-term rental woes, and what your four-legged family members can expect.
Aloha for now…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 03:22 PM

198 posts, read 388,046 times
Let me be clear on this: I am not the author of the blog above. I just pasted it.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:36 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,838,109 times
After the incessant bombardment of National News and all the Hate Speech within here on the East Coast (Mainland), #12 sounds like music to my ears.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:23 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiPono View Post
Let me be clear on this: I am not the author of the blog above. I just pasted it.
The pertinent question is, did you get permission to copy it?

Posting a taste of the material, with a link to the source is considered fair use. But copying an entire web page can be problematic, possibly even a copyright violation.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,419 times
I don't think it matters where it came from, it does have a link btw. Thank you so much for the good tips

Old 05-04-2014, 05:41 PM

569 posts, read 782,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The pertinent question is, did you get permission to copy it?

Posting a taste of the material, with a link to the source is considered fair use. But copying an entire web page can be problematic, possibly even a copyright violation.
I totally agree. Not a lawyer, but that sure seems lie it's propitiatory creative property.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
I totally agree. Not a lawyer, but that sure seems lie it's propitiatory creative property.
You don't have to be lawyer to understand the Terms of Service (TOS) posted at the top of each forum. Quoting a brief exerpt and linking it to the source is OK. Copying an entire webpage to post here is not.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:48 PM

749 posts, read 856,356 times
Great post and thanks for the link to the interesting - and huge blog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii