Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,259 times

Advertisements

I am abroad now, but I'm from Fort Wayne Indiana originally. I have a chance to move to Hawaii with the TSA. But I don't know anything about it? It looks so pretty. What does it cost to live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna Jones View Post
What does it cost to live there?
A lot.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:35 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Well, a lot of that depends on which island, but most of them are going to be about twice what it costs in Fort Wayne, I'd expect. As a single person, you'd probably be able to make a go of it with a full time TSA job, but you'd probably be living in a much smaller space than in Indiana and may have to share housing with room mates to keep it affordable. Still, you'd not be freezing your okole off in the winters, either.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:55 AM

198 posts, read 386,948 times
Search You Tube for videos discussing the costs of groceries, etc.

This is not a move you want to make without research. You should have a very good salary to make the move.

You can starve in paradise.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Once you find out which island, there are several grocery store advertisements you can pull up online. The major grocery stores would be Safeway, Costco, Sam's Club and Foodland. I think Safeway, Costco and Foodland are on Oahu, Maui & Hawaii. If you're on Lanai, Molokai or Kauai, I don't know if you'd still have those choices. On Hawaii Island we have KTA grocery stores, which are good grocery stores.

For rentals, Craig's List is about the only online place.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Aloha,

We have discussed these questions often here, and in depth. The archives are a goldmine of information. You can access a lot of valuable information quickly by using the Search function.

The Cost of Living varies a lot, depending on which part of the state you're talking about - Oahu and Maui are the most expensive, then Kauai, then Hawai'i Island - but in general I think you will find the costs in Hawai'i are about double what they are in Ft. Wayne, which is below the American average. So you need more than double the salary to maintain the same relative lifestyle level, which I doubt TSA will give you.

Think of it like moving to New York City, or San Francisco, and you'll get a sense of the difference. This forum can help flesh out the details for you.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna Jones View Post
I am abroad now, but I'm from Fort Wayne Indiana originally. I have a chance to move to Hawaii with the TSA. But I don't know anything about it? It looks so pretty. What does it cost to live there?
Aloha,

Just in case your not tech savey here is a few youtube videos of prices plus im posting them because they are new and other can tell you if its accurate for the island they live on.

Hawaii Grocery Prices 2014 - YouTube

Shopping At Kailua, Safeway (comparing food prices between Hawaii and Seattle) - YouTube

Food Prices Soaring in Hawaii - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: