Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What items should I stock up on?
Paper goods 2 18.18%
Liquor 4 36.36%
Canned Food 4 36.36%
Pasta 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Adams View Post
I've been to Honolulu numerous times and stayed for weeks. I subscribe to the online Advertiser as well as the ads from Times, Foodland, Don Quijote, and Safeway. I think I have a pretty good handle on prices, advertised specials and couponing.

Out of curiosity when was the last time you shopped in Boston?

The market here is competitive with coupons up to $.99 doubled, buy one get one free offers frequent and and volume discounts of 25% on P&G products offered weekly.
If you have such a good handle on "prices, advertised specials and couponing" - then why bother with a thread? Apparently, you know more than those of us who actually live here.

While I can't claim to have pushed a shopping cart on my last visit to Boston last year (I recommend the Back Bay for visitors) - I do frequent the mainland enough during the year where I do push a grocery cart - and it would never occur to me (nor anyone else on this thread), to pack extra toilet paper to bring back to Honolulu.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:38 PM

46 posts, read 80,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you have such a good handle on "prices, advertised specials and couponing" - then why bother with a thread? Apparently, you know more than those of us who actually live here.

While I can't claim to have pushed a shopping cart on my last visit to Boston last year (I recommend the Back Bay for visitors) - I do frequent the mainland enough during the year where I do push a grocery cart - and it would never occur to me (nor anyone else on this thread), to pack extra toilet paper to bring back to Honolulu.
I started the thread for purposes of edification. Obviously others see it only as a venue for pontification.

As for knowing "more than those of us who actually live here." I, unlike some people, am interested in verifying and updating my preconceptions. Always open to suggestions and valid input, with the emphasis on valid.

As for the Back Bay it's the Boston tourist trap. A tag line for people who claim to have experienced the Hub, vacuous and superficial.

I understand why you "...can't claim to have pushed a shopping cart..." I'm sure that you have people to do that for you.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,610,912 times
Please bring a few thousand pounds of Cookie Butter from Trader Joe's. Will trade it for TP, which apparently, is a hot commodity here.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 AM

Default Cookie Butter ? Tell me more, PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Please bring a few thousand pounds of Cookie Butter from Trader Joe's. Will trade it for TP, which apparently, is a hot commodity here.
I just found a local mover to pack my container. A company I used when I moved into my current residence. He did an inventory and told me that I needed a smaller container, that I'll have 5-7 feet of empty space. He will build a bulkhead to stabilize the load but I will have a lot of empty room.

I must live in a cave but I never heard of Trader Joe's cookie butter. Why is it a hot commodity and where could I sell it in bulk? Seriously I could bring a thousand pound if I had an outlet.

"Trade it for TP" makes me wonder is this is real or you're putting me on. Either way fun stuff.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,610,912 times
It's essentially a spread that tastes like Trader Joe's Speculoos ginger snap cookies. It's reeeeaaaaallly good. Some people have a heroin problem, I have a cookie butter problem.

Trader Joe's

Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
It's essentially a spread that tastes like Trader Joe's Speculoos ginger snap cookies. It's reeeeaaaaallly good. Some people have a heroin problem, I have a cookie butter problem.

Trader Joe's
OK let's get serious. I can throw cases of the stuff into my container. Do you want to do this?

Old 08-04-2014, 05:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
It's sort of like peanut butter, but using ground up gingersnap cookies instead of peanuts

Here is the ingredients list:

Quote:
Serving Size: 1 Tbsp (15g)

Nutrition facts: 90 calories, 50 calories from fat, 6g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 8g total carbs, 0g fiber, 5g sugar, <1g sugar

INGREDIENTS: 57% SPECULOOS (WHEAT FLOUR, CANDY SUGAR, MARGARINE [PALM OIL, CANOLA OIL, COCONUT OIL, RAPESEED OIL, WATER, SALT, EMULSIFIER {VEGETABLE MONO-AND DIGLYCERIDES FROM FATTY ACIDS}, CITRIC ACID, ALCTIC ACID, COLOR ADDED {BETA CAROTENE}, BUTTERFLAVOR (NON-DAIRY)], SUGAR, SOY FLOUR, SUGAR SYRUP, RAISING AGENT {SODIUM HYDROGEN CARBONATE}, CINNAMON, NUTMEG), PALM OIL, CANOLA OIL, SUGAR, EMULSIFIER: RAPESEED LECITHIN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Adams View Post
OK let's get serious. I can throw cases of the stuff into my container. Do you want to do this?
You probably can't buy cases at a time. Last fall they were rationing it out in the stores, one jar to a customer. But even if you could, stop and think... would you want to be complicit in possibly causing another bypass surgery?

Old 08-04-2014, 07:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,114,901 times
What exactly is "candy sugar" anyway? And is it high fructose sugar syrup? Most of them are these days.

Looks like sugar piled on top of fat and added sugar on top of salt. Should hit all the taste buds although it's not even close to healthy, no doubt.

It's probably much easier to just toss in stuff that you'll use yourself.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What exactly is "candy sugar" anyway? And is it high fructose sugar syrup? Most of them are these days.

Looks like sugar piled on top of fat and added sugar on top of salt. Should hit all the taste buds although it's not even close to healthy, no doubt.

It's probably much easier to just toss in stuff that you'll use yourself.
I'm rapidly coming to that conclusion. Starting loading up on necessities/essentials. Cleaning supplies, toiletries, paper goods, some canned goods, etc.

Kinda sad all that empty space will go to waste though.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 PM

127 posts, read 180,904 times
Aloha Bert
Congrats on your decision. When I moved here from TX this past spring, I asked the forum the same question, and received a lot of good advice. Based on the answers, I brought over Spa/Hair products in bulk (I'm a chick, we like this stuff), office supplies, and my spices. I also loaded up on some canned goods that I know were hard to get or expensive on Maui, such as Rotel and Enchilada Sauce...I know, typical Texan can't part with their spicy food. Interestingly, I bought a bunch of new towels and sheets, and I'm glad I did - Macy's is expensive or out of the things I want and shipping things takes a while. Stocked up on batteries (for my flashlights, remotes, etc.) and bought a lot of my emergency preparedness type stuff on the mainland as well. I also had some extra space in my packing, so that's how I filled it up. I didn't bring over water, because as pointed out we don't need anymore plastic here - Brita is the answer IMO.
Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii