Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What items should I stock up on?
Paper goods 2 18.18%
Liquor 4 36.36%
Canned Food 4 36.36%
Pasta 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM

46 posts, read 79,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Of Bert wants to drive fast - I suggest H3, where 80 mph is pretty common. And has no rush hour.
I don't plan to drive period. 12 years of dodging Boston drivers in their land galleons (known locally as Mass Holes) is enough. It's DaBus and Uber for this haole.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Here's a few translations for you, although you may have already figured it out. The "blue tarp" and "Spam" were in reference to the upcoming hurricane which is supposed to blow through here in several days. Probably also infers advice to bring whatever you need during emergencies since they do happen around here. As an island state, what you have is what you have during emergencies and it will be awhile before anything new arrives. However, folks do usually help each other out during catastrophic events.

And the "pupule" and "future short term residence" is in response to the attitude, although for East Coast folks, that's not seen as abrasive, is it? Isn't Boston famous for sort of a "tough guy" attitude? Somewhat snarky responses and such are generally considered normal? Generally, that type of response isn't well received in Hawaii, it's just a different collective cultural outlook here which hasn't learned to appreciate the hard nosed attitude as an acceptable social response. Not that "don't need no stinkin' tarp" or "care to expand on that" are particularly abrasive but we don't have a tone of voice to go with it.

If you've watched some of the new Hawaii 5-0 episodes, they brought the new Danny over from the East Coast and his "tough guy" attitude and the friction it causes was an underlying theme for quite a few of the episodes. A lot of times folks won't tell you what is wrong, they just let you flounder around making social faux pas all over the place.

Have you considered advertising your container space on Craig's List in Massachusetts? Maybe there's other folks from there who are moving or sending things to Hawaii? I just went through a huge hassle getting a fairly large item sent over from the MidWest, had there been a container from that area available, I'd have tried working out a deal to have it sent via the container. Maybe figure out a price per square cube or something and advertise the space on Craig's List? Probably the one in Honolulu as well as the one in Massachusetts?
Thanks for the advice, 12 years in Boston does cause one to become a bit jaded. You're right about the tough guy attitude, it's one of the reasons why I'm leaving. Don't want to turn into a Mass Hole.

Frankly did not get the tarp and Spam reference, the Hawaiian hurricane didn't make the news on the East Coast. Nothing on the news here but the demise of the Red Sox and Tom Brady in training camp.

As for advertising the container on Craig's List, I've sold a ton of stuff that way preparing for the move and meet some real interesting folks...not the kind of crowd I'd like to share a container with.

Finally, what is a "pupule" ?

Old 08-06-2014, 05:14 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,589,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Adams View Post
Finally, what is a "pupule" ?
someone who doesn't know what an imu is.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,781,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
or a ipu?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 PM

127 posts, read 180,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Adams View Post
Ah yes, I noticed that. I ordered mine in the bags, since I have some bottles here already. I think I should have my stuff by the end of the week, weather pending. I'm thinking about entering the Chili Cookoff here next year, so this is a great resource to get me practicing. The rib stuff looks awesome...I'll probably include that in my next order. One of my neighbors as an imu, so I'll tell him about this site too...I'm hoping he'll let me use it one day, it always smells good at his part of the street.
"imu" ? Sorry I'm a bit dim. What's an imu?

If you're entering the chili cook off the Spice House has a great selection:

Ancho Chile Peppers, Whole or Ground

New Mexican "Anaheim" Chile Peppers, Whole Or Ground

Chipotle Peppers

Indian Cumin Seed, Whole Or Ground

Vietnamese "Saigon" Cassia Cinnamon, Whole, Cracked or Ground

Garlic Powders, Granulated, Roasted or Very Fine Powder

Mexican Oregano, Broken Leaf or Powdered

Make all our own sauces, rubs, marinades and chili.

Try to stay dry, the weather looks a bit nasty over the next couple of days.[/quote]

Imu is the Hawaiian underground oven - many see it in the Luau's when they prepare the pig. It's like an awesome slow cooker/roaster, makes the meat very tender. I'm going to try your concoction that you mentioned for the chili. I brought quite a few spices with me, but could always use more to "heat" it up.

We are prepping the house now, bringing in all the outdoor furniture, securing the plants. If and when it hits Maui, it will probably be late Thursday or Friday, but you never know about mother nature. Fun part has been the grocery stores....most are wiped out, only Smart Water for sale, and not a lot of TP on the shelves. I heard there was a fist fight at the Costco yesterday over cases of water...egads.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Hula View Post
"imu" ? Sorry I'm a bit dim. What's an imu?

If you're entering the chili cook off the Spice House has a great selection:

Ancho Chile Peppers, Whole or Ground

New Mexican "Anaheim" Chile Peppers, Whole Or Ground

Chipotle Peppers

Indian Cumin Seed, Whole Or Ground

Vietnamese "Saigon" Cassia Cinnamon, Whole, Cracked or Ground

Garlic Powders, Granulated, Roasted or Very Fine Powder

Mexican Oregano, Broken Leaf or Powdered

Make all our own sauces, rubs, marinades and chili.

Try to stay dry, the weather looks a bit nasty over the next couple of days.
Imu is the Hawaiian underground oven - many see it in the Luau's when they prepare the pig. It's like an awesome slow cooker/roaster, makes the meat very tender. I'm going to try your concoction that you mentioned for the chili. I brought quite a few spices with me, but could always use more to "heat" it up.

We are prepping the house now, bringing in all the outdoor furniture, securing the plants. If and when it hits Maui, it will probably be late Thursday or Friday, but you never know about mother nature. Fun part has been the grocery stores....most are wiped out, only Smart Water for sale, and not a lot of TP on the shelves. I heard there was a fist fight at the Costco yesterday over cases of water...egads.[/quote]

Wait ! Wait ! Wait !

That concoction is just that, a concoction. It's not a recipe.

I was just listing the spices that you COULD use in a chili not all that should be used. Sorry about that.

The run on grocery stores and the fistfights sounds exactly like what happens in Boston when a heavy snow is predicted. Everybody buys multiple loaves of wonder bread, packages of cold cuts, gallons of milk, jars of Fluff and cases of beer.

I guess Hawaii and Boston are a lot alike after all. Ironic isn't it.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:00 AM

Default ipu...pupu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
or a ipu?
ipu...?

pupu ...?

woo woo !!!

https://www.alohaoutlet.com/Shops/10...d=4657&sid=108

Last edited by Bert Adams; 08-07-2014 at 02:29 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
No thanks, you can do the math yourself. You are paying for a shipping container, and trying to purchase items that are less expensive there than they are here. Will the gap in prices and the shipping charges save you money in the end? Honestly, I don't know, or really care. Best of luck.
The container is a fixed cost, whether I ship it empty or full. Given there is available space I am filling it with necessities. Pretty simple equation actually. You don't care about maximizing the return on an investment or budgeting wisely? Your choice, your loss.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,105,803 times
If the container is a set price regardless of weight, the only issue I foresee would be where to store the stuff once you get here. You mentioned renting a 1-2 bedroom with the second bedroom to store the stuff and visiting relatives. So no issue, load ‘em up!

My only advice on that end would be to not get rid of your basic essentials like a good tool set, a broom, nice knives if you have a good set you like, any firearms you wish to keep, etc. I’m told it’s far easier to ship over a firearm you already own, than to go through the permitting process and buy one here.
We shipped all our stuff in USPS Flat Rate Boxes and a few plastic bins we brought on the plane. Going to Target to buy all the basics reminded me of doing that for the first time as a young adult. It was not fun. I easily forgot how one builds up good “stuff” over time. Needing to get all that stuff from scratch makes a picky bloke like myself a little less than satisfied.

The real estate market doesn’t exactly seem to “become sane” here. The projections are saying that the market will mellow out in 2016. Until then it’s up up up for anything near town. It took a LONG while for me to accept that you can spend $600 per sq ft for a run-down 70’s cinder block building where you share a washer and dryer with everyone else.

I was very disappointed with Kona Brewery’s beer. There is Gordon Beirsh at the Aloha tower, and they are a brewery, but meh, not impressed. It’s a good place for a sunset dinner though. +1 on the Maui Brewery’s beer selection. One of the few beers I can drink from a can. The Coconut Porter and Bikini Blonde are both really good beers. If you want to find good beer I recommend Whole Foods at Kahala Mall and The Liquor Store at Ward center (can’t remember the name). Both of them list “Rate Beer” ratings on their selections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii