Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What items should I stock up on?
Paper goods 2 18.18%
Liquor 4 36.36%
Canned Food 4 36.36%
Pasta 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:53 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,586,740 times

Advertisements

Make sure to keep us mainland folks updated as to how you're doing on Oahu. Can't wait to see how you're getting along six months down the road.

Best of luck

Old 08-13-2014, 06:33 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,609,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Adams View Post

Six months after my arrival I'll be comfortably ensconced in a condo in Waikiki or Kakaaco.

Aloha
It's spelled Kaka'ako.

Kakaako - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI, It's 2:33 HI time.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:57 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,093,487 times
It seems really strange to see Kakaako listed as a desirable neighborhood! Times do change, don't they? Anyone ever hang out at the parties behind the old iron works building? Guess it's all gone to high end high rises, these days.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:39 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,237,304 times
Aloha Bert,

I can understand your feeling of being attacked, because you are being attacked by any number of posters, whether local, mainland or even just tongue in cheek.

But truly, you'll have to learn how to chill or just let go of things to be able to live or enjoy Hawaii. Ka'kaako is an example. Many people feel its being developed for a highend, international customer, who do not intend to live in Hawaii full time, yet by purchasing their condo, takes it out of the pool of housing options for people who work and live here.
And there is a serious housing shortage.So when you taunt people with Ka'kaako, you're touching off some serious anger with locals.

you'll also find things dont work quite like they do on the mainland. I'd say much more disorganized and somewhat corrupt, especially the local goverment. Yet for all that, most people are friendly, honest and willing to help out stangers.

So to paraphrase, walk softly and carry a big smile. The Islands can be an awesome place to live or a neverending sore spot if you dont adjust to island ways.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:18 AM

46 posts, read 79,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Aloha Bert,

I can understand your feeling of being attacked, because you are being attacked by any number of posters, whether local, mainland or even just tongue in cheek.

But truly, you'll have to learn how to chill or just let go of things to be able to live or enjoy Hawaii. Ka'kaako is an example. Many people feel its being developed for a highend, international customer, who do not intend to live in Hawaii full time, yet by purchasing their condo, takes it out of the pool of housing options for people who work and live here.
And there is a serious housing shortage.So when you taunt people with Ka'kaako, you're touching off some serious anger with locals.

you'll also find things dont work quite like they do on the mainland. I'd say much more disorganized and somewhat corrupt, especially the local goverment. Yet for all that, most people are friendly, honest and willing to help out stangers.

So to paraphrase, walk softly and carry a big smile. The Islands can be an awesome place to live or a neverending sore spot if you dont adjust to island ways.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you. That being said the vitriol displayed on my humble little thread would put a Yahoo Finance message board to shame.

As said previously when I arrive I will go with the flow but I don't plan to bend over. The passive aggressives on this thread use the aloha spirit as tool to assert dominance. It you don't conform to their norms you're a "mainlander" or you've got "an attitude". While I understand a resident's pride of place it has crossed over into xenophobia and ethnocentrism.

Your comment about "...some serious anger with locals." is quite accurate. Hawaii is changing. The condos being built by Alexander and Baldwin and The Howard Hughes Corporation are simply not intended for those who have taken issue with the my comments on this thread. This fact quite probably fuels the anger of these "locals" who feel that they are being excluded But who would want them for a neighbor?

Their response to being marginalized is to create a fantasy world where they are in control. Utilizing dialog, myth, syntax and sarcasm they attempt to assert dominance. Obviously they confuse the World of Warcraft with reality.

In closing I have come to the conclusion that Hawaii is not really that different from Boston. As said previously I will just be trading Mass Holes for Aloha Anuses.

I would disagree that you local government is more corrupt. In the Commonwealth the last three Speakers of the House of Representatives have been sent to Federal prison for corruption. The head of the State Probation Department is currently on trial for accepting bribes and the former President of the State Senate is James "Whitey" Bulger's brother.

Hawaii has Boston beat on climate but Massachusetts take a back seat to no one on political corruption.

Oh and I do plan to walk softly and carry a big smile, but carrying a fat wallet to ease the transition...

Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 AM

18,418 posts, read 19,075,680 times
Quote:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you. That being said the vitriol displayed on my humble little thread would put a Yahoo Finance message board to shame.

As said previously when I arrive I will go with the flow but I don't plan to bend over. The passive aggressives on this thread use the aloha spirit as tool to assert dominance. It you don't conform to their norms you're a "mainlander" or you've got "an attitude". While I understand a resident's pride of place it has crossed over into xenophobia and ethnocentrism.

Your comment about "...some serious anger with locals." is quite accurate. Hawaii is changing. The condos being built by Alexander and Baldwin and The Howard Hughes Corporation are simply not intended for those who have taken issue with the my comments on this thread. This fact quite probably fuels the anger of these "locals" who feel that they are being excluded But who would want them for a neighbor?

Their response to being marginalized is to create a fantasy world where they are in control. Utilizing dialog, myth, syntax and sarcasm they attempt to assert dominance. Obviously they confuse the World of Warcraft with reality.

In closing I have come to the conclusion that Hawaii is not really that different from Boston. As said previously I will just be trading Mass Holes for Aloha Anuses.

I would disagree that you local government is more corrupt. In the Commonwealth the last three Speakers of the House of Representatives have been sent to Federal prison for corruption. The head of the State Probation Department is currently on trial for accepting bribes and the former President of the State Senate is James "Whitey" Bulger's brother.

Hawaii has Boston beat on climate but Massachusetts take a back seat to no one on political corruption.

Oh and I do plan to walk softly and carry a big smile, but carrying a fat wallet to ease the transition...
how fat can the wallet be if you want to ship pasta and toothpaste?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:28 AM

198 posts, read 387,747 times
Depending on the size of home you are moving to, I would stock up on Furniture. Furniture on Kauai is tough to come by. Plus the few furniture sellers sell the same stuff, so you are likely to go to a friends home and see the same furniture. I do not know why that is important to me, but I don't want to go to someone else's home and see the exact same furniture. Must be my ego.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
how fat can the wallet be if you want to ship pasta and toothpaste?
They warned might that things are slower in Hawaii, but I didn't expect the residents to be slow as the be candidates for handicapped stickers.

To net it out for you hothulamaui the wallet is a whale exactly because I spend wisely. As the man said, it's not so much what you buy as it is how much you pay.

You savvy ?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiPono View Post
Depending on the size of home you are moving to, I would stock up on Furniture. Furniture on Kauai is tough to come by. Plus the few furniture sellers sell the same stuff, so you are likely to go to a friends home and see the same furniture. I do not know why that is important to me, but I don't want to go to someone else's home and see the exact same furniture. Must be my ego.

Not ego at all, I share your opinion. I will be bring enough furniture to equip a two bedroom condo, even bringing teak steamer chairs for the lanai.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:06 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,104,207 times
Quote:
Nice selfie, is that Poi that you're munching ?
Not a fan of Poi. I could see it being an acquired taste though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii