Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 AM

69 posts, read 314,078 times

Advertisements

I used to buy cannister of pepper spray from Amazon.com and/or other online vendors in the past.

I had no problems, no error messages, no "Sorry, we cannot deliver to that address" issues in the past when I purchased a canister of pepper spray from Amazon.com.

FYI, yes, Hawaii is safe "in general."

However, I have witnessed incidents where angry mokes get into road rage mode, and try to punch another driver, through the driver window.

I am also an avid hiker. So if I encounter a wild boar that is ready to charge at me, or some wild dog on the trail path that is going to attack me, I would like to pull out my pepper spray to deter these wild beast.

Not to mention there was that incident couple years ago where that crazy popolo guy stabbed and nearly killed the young local guy and his friend, at the Koko Head trail. In that situation, you and I need to be fully protected against these maniacs.

I know I may receive some criticism here. But this is pepper spray guys, not a Glock or a hand gun that I am purchasing. This is a deterrent that temporarily incapacitates an attacker.

Anyhow, I was thinking of checking out some of the local gun stores/dealers on Oahu.
I guess they may have legal pepper spray canisters that they sell at their locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
I believe that only small canisters and/or some low strength level is legal. Maybe Amazon simply figured out that they were illegally sending it?

How often have you used pepper spray if you have had to buy additional canisters?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:47 AM

98 posts, read 543,832 times
It takes a little searching on amazon, but I was able to purchase this product from one of the other sellers on Amazon:

Amazon.com : Bear Guard Alaska Bear Pepper Spray with Holster : Bear Protection : Sports & Outdoors

Had to pay shipping unfortunately. I always carried this with me when hiking in the PNW mountains never had to use it thankfully.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
If you are over 18, you can buy pepper spray in Hawai'i from a licensed dealer for self defense. Gun shops and some sporting goods stores carry it.

It can only contain pepper (OC, oleoresin capsicum) not tear gas, it must have a flip-top or other safety cap to prevent accidental spray, and the dealer is required to verify your age, give you a brief training on its safe use and proper disposal, then log the sale and training and have you sign it.

The inability of an online dealer to comply with the license and logging requirements is the reason it is illegal for them to ship into Hawai'i.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/con...ckground_check

Old 08-29-2014, 03:41 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
If you are over 18, you can buy pepper spray in Hawai'i from a licensed dealer for self defense. Gun shops and some sporting goods stores carry it.

It can only contain pepper (OC, oleoresin capsicum) not tear gas, it must have a flip-top or other safety cap to prevent accidental spray, and the dealer is required to verify your age, give you a brief training on its safe use and proper disposal, then log the sale and training and have you sign it.

The inability of an online dealer to comply with the license and logging requirements is the reason it is illegal for them to ship into Hawai'i.

Hawaii News Archive - Starbulletin.com
You have to be over 18 to buy a non lethal self defense weapon???

Old 08-29-2014, 12:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You have to be over 18 to buy a non lethal self defense weapon???
Sure. As a student of human nature it makes sense to me. Pepper spray has the potential to cause harm or a lot of mischief, so requiring a certain level of maturity from buyers is a logical action to take.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:00 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
As of 9/11 lots of things in liquid form are no longer allowed to ship overseas including Hawaii. My experience has been sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not... At least this is what I was told when liquid things I would order were refused to ship that had previously shipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii