Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 04:12 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
Where was this train wreck headed when it left the station?
That only exacerbated the situation, there are no train stations in Hawaii....

IT'S PUPULE FRIDAY

Old 10-10-2014, 06:44 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
I remember awhile back reading in the paper while we were in Hawaii that the Republican Governor at the time Linda Lingle, said that yes President Obama was born in Hawaii and asked that people stop requesting a copy of his birth certificate because it was costing the tax payers a lot of money to send them out.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:50 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I remember awhile back reading in the paper while we were in Hawaii that the Republican Governor at the time Linda Lingle, said that yes President Obama was born in Hawaii and asked that people stop requesting a copy of his birth certificate because it was costing the tax payers a lot of money to send them out.
Many people buy into conspiracy theories. And some of those very persons can be hateful people. I don't remember any President being asked for his birth certificate nearly as much as President Obama. This is what leads me to believe that race plays a big factor in why.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
I do wonder why Obama identifies much more with Chicago than with Hawaii. I identify with all the places I've lived in, while I live in West Virginia now and love it here, I was born in Louisiana in lived in Maryland for many years and identify with those too. Obama places most of the emphasis of his past in Chicago and is most associated with Chicago in addition to Kenya.

I think its pointless to debate where he was really born because the truth is we will never know. We don't know if his birth certificate is real or faked so going after him on these grounds will not go anywhere. Like many of my friends say, the problem isn't where he was born, but where he lives now.

I WILL say that most people I know here in West Virginia and when I lived in Maryland don't associate him with Hawaii. When Bush went on vacation to his ranch in Texas nobody thought much of it since he is a Texan so of course he goes there when he has a vacation.

Whenever Obama goes to Hawaii it's seen in these parts as him going on a luxurious vacation using American taxpayers money. It wouldn't be seen this way if he went to Chicago on vacation all the time. And yes Hawaii is seen as an especially elite and opulent vacation destination, much more than Cancun or the Bahamas so for the President to travel there regularly is seen as very wasteful and elitist especially when here in WV we have people who are out of work because of his war on coal. I'm only going in December because of free plane tickets and special deals on hotels and car rentals. There are always comments about Obama using Air Force One to jet set to Hawaii. As much as I hate this President I can't blame him for visiting Hawaii as he probably still has family and friends there (just a guess). It's just that mainly due to himself, Chicago is seen as his hometown and every trip he takes to Hawaii is seen as an all-expenses paid trip courtesy of we the people.

There is a very small minority of people who honestly don't know that Hawaii is part of the US but these are the same people who don't know that New Mexico is part of the U.S. or that West Virginia is a state.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I do wonder why Obama identifies much more with Chicago than with Hawaii.
I would say he identifies differently with Chicago, and the reasons are obvious. He was born in Hawai'i, mostly went to school in Hawai'i, but then moved to the mainland for college and found his first job in Chicago, met Michelle, had kids, became a community leader and a university Professor and bought a house and built his early political career in Chicago.

George W Bush was born and raised in New Haven, Connecticut, but he's most identified with Texas. Same kinda deal.

Quote:
I think its pointless to debate where he was really born because the truth is we will never know.
It's also completely pointless because under the law of the day, since his mother was a US citizen, he is also a US Citizen, no matter where he was born. Same rule made George Romney eligible to be President, even though he was born in Mexico City. Same with Ted Cruz, born in Canada.

Quote:
Whenever Obama goes to Hawaii it's seen in these parts as him going on a luxurious vacation using American taxpayers money.
That's just mindless. He pays for his family's vacations from his own funds, as every President does. The 747 for the staff and press is a necessity that every President has to comply with, since it's a mobile command center for the Commander in Chief in case of emergency.

In any case, he has one of the toughest jobs in the world, and is under plenty of stress with an enormous 24/7 responsibility. He's taken less than half the number of vacation days at this point in his term of office as his predecessor had at the same point, and I seriously wonder why anyone would begrudge him a day of it. Especially since he's still working the whole time, not like he's getting the kind of vacation most people take.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,017 times
you need to ask the GOV.... well you need to ask Mike himself... he said that he said....

well, watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0U_jo2jQE

Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
you need to ask the GOV.... well you need to ask Mike himself... he said that he said....
Oh puhleeeeze, now the hearsay starts up again? It's time to give this a rest.

President Obama is a citizen of the US by virtue of the fact that his mother was a US citizen, no matter where he was born.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:59 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I do wonder why Obama identifies much more with Chicago than with Hawaii. I identify with all the places I've lived in, while I live in West Virginia now and love it here, I was born in Louisiana in lived in Maryland for many years and identify with those too. Obama places most of the emphasis of his past in Chicago and is most associated with Chicago in addition to Kenya.
C'mon, he met his wife, gave birth to his kids, launched a political career, and went to college in Chicago. Why wouldn't he identify with that?

I also find he does identity with Hawaii as well. He visits there regularly, etc. Do you have any evidence that he DOESN'T identify with Hawaii?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I doubt the people who came up with the idea that Obama is not American even believe it.

It was always meant as a political distraction for the mentally impaired.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
At this point in time, folks are probably better off concerning themselves with where Obama's presidential library is going to be built, instead of where he was born or what place he considers "home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii