Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:32 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,335,411 times

Advertisements

Interesting. Is it just pure speculation though?

Like another poster mentioned, it certainly temporary alleviates some of the housing issues. But would certainly add to traffic issues, if people starting commuting from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 AM

32,764 posts, read 48,482,087 times
So, if the military closes Hawaii, what are they going to use for mid-Pacific bases? Or do we now have planes that can fly to China or North Korea, fly a mission, and get back to the mainland without refueling?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,866,469 times
Where is that 'ol Punahou graduate when you need him? Oh i forgot..he is busy throwing peeps under the bus.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:36 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,335,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, if the military closes Hawaii, what are they going to use for mid-Pacific bases?
I was thinking the same thing..

Old 11-16-2014, 01:41 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,791,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I was thinking the same thing..
I doubt they are closing all the bases in Hawaii. Just kinda my point all along. Its time to start thinking about achieveing a substainable lifestyle on the islands and the just keep raising prices will not cut it anymore.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,550,771 times
Quote:
So, if the military closes Hawaii, what are they going to use for mid-Pacific bases? Or do we now have planes that can fly to China or North Korea, fly a mission, and get back to the mainland without refueling?
They're not talking about closing Hawai'i, more like cutting down the troop deployment. Naval support will likely stay strong, but with the land war in Afghanistan winding down and other troop reductions in cinflict zones, Army staffing can and will be reduced, whether or not base closures hit.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:38 PM

575 posts, read 1,203,281 times
Quote:
The discussion of possible closures deals with Ft. Shafter and Scofield Barracks. Doesn't sound like AF and Navy are involved. Army is downsizing to around 435K.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:46 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,247,340 times
Guam is getting a lot of AF and some Navy functions stationed there, but overall I would not see significant cuts for the Navy and AF in HI. The Army is a different story. The Big Island is the major training site, but Oahu is the stationing for most Army assets (there are some ranges on Schofield, but the activities and use times are pretty restrictive). Transportation costs for training are astronomical, and there are a lot of environmental and endangered species limitations in the training areas the Army does have.

HI is EXPENSIVE, and the Army response time for deploying from the West coast could be as little as an additional 5-8 hours for a small contingent via airlift, to an additional week or slightly less for a large scale deployment with medium and heavy units by ship. Advantage for the Army is West Coast Army bases have a significantly lower operational cost, larger training areas, easier access to training, and in most cases a local population less hostile to the Army and its training requirements. Given the Army is reducing to 435K, they may opt to just eliminate some amount of force structure from HI, and assign the mission sets to other units in the inventory - probably at Ft Lewis.

South Korea is on track to take over full responsibility for military (read that as ground forces) defense of the penn over the next couple of years, so we will have some forces there, but most of our role (US) will transition to support, intel, and comms in support of South Korea. The US AF will still have a significant role in Korea, so again I wouldn't look for cuts to AF units stationed in Korea.

I was in Germany just after 1AD left, and it almost destroyed the economy of the state they were garrisoned in. The Germans were in favor of US Army units leaving at the time, but they did not anticipate the significant effects of soldiers spending money in stores, theaters, brothels, car purchases, rents, etc. etc., not to mention the funds transfered to the state for base leases, shool support, etc. Also, the civilian support jobs went away with the Army, and those jobs generally paid significantly more than the local prevailing wages. I would expect simular, but not quite as devastating, impacts to Oahu if they lost the Division, but a more likely scenario is the Division HQ stays along with 1-2 brigades. It will slow things down economically, but I don't see a 10 year economic slump like what happened in Germany.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 PM

38 posts, read 77,129 times
I am glad that I had the opportunity to live and be stationed here. I will miss it and hopefully the military tradition will continue to carry on, so others who could not normally afford to visit or live in Hawaii will have that chance.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:38 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,543,072 times
Water.... as much as there are too many people here there is not enough water. I was watching some... show on olelo where some OLDER LADY said how she helped close a base in CA. and everything went fine... lol Was soo funny listening to her. she said how easy of a transition it would be.

Man power... has it going on right now. RIF...

what of other bases in other countries? hmm.... budgets too tight? as much as they say its going to ruin the economy... what about ruining the country? there is no sign of deficit reduction. Yes you shut down Hawaii but how is that going to help as far as reducing the federal deficit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: