Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:55 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times

Advertisements

Auwe, St. Germain, that doesn't sound like a fun experience.

Oahu, IMHO, is too overpopulated to be a good starting point when moving to Hawaii. There's too many people all trying to get the same things (housing, jobs, transportation, etc.) and the folks that have been here or are born here have a big advantage over the newcomers.

Not sure if or what the just-moved-here jobs are anymore. Used to be, way back when, you could rent a pedicab on a weekly rate and then drive around Waikiki taking folks places. That was back before it became illegal and got regulated, etc. Not sure what sorts of non-employed money making opportunities are out there now. But, if you can find a way to make money without being traditionally employed, then you can get the six months on island time which will then put you in the "possible hire" group. A year is better, but about six months is enough to get your foot in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:52 PM

457 posts, read 645,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzh797s View Post
I have not had any luck with my applications, however I suspect that is because I do not have an 808 #.
Oh is THAT it? - I applied with Lawyers Without Borders, directly to an agency that said they were recruiting, out in Continental Divide, and when they called me (within minutes) on my (203) number they hit me with "what do you want to come HERE for" which made me want to reach through the phone and hit them with my car.

And we're talking a bleak, desolate, middle of nowhere place that should be damn well GLAD someone with a law degree DOES want to go there and represent children who are being taken away from their parents - not grill them about why we even want to come there. They ought to be sued for taking that attitude. If it weren't over the phone, I'd know the reason was racism because everywhere in New Mexico EXCEPT Gallup that's the attitude I get hit with ("what'd YOU come HERE for") - from everyone EXCEPT my fellow Native Americans. The white people and the Hispanics, to be exact. But to do that to me OVER THE PHONE?!?!

I'm there, but I have yet to show up in the office, because with having THAT have been their initial response to me I think I'd rather stick with Teachers Without Borders which didn't DO THAT to me.

Point is. I can imagine Hawaii does that MORE because you'd have to go FARTHER and incur more expense (well, maybe not; the cost of driving across the continent into the wilderness factor with a whole lot of stuff in your car because you know you're going out to the boondocks....I mean, that adds up, too...)

Anyway....you can always have your cell phone company change the phone number to a Hawaii one by changing the address you use on it, especially if you have online paperless billing.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

4) Hawaii bank accounts don't require a Hawaii drivers license. You don't even have to get a Hawaii drivers license, Hawaii does not require you to get a new one when you move - the current one lasts until it expires.
5) You do need a Hawaii address to get a drivers license - but you don't have to get a Hawaii drivers license
6) A lot of people move to Hawaii without Hawaii references
So, by that token, to buy a car in Hawaii (because you had to leave your car back on the Mainland, obviously) can be done with some other state's drivers' license, too??

Old 05-18-2015, 03:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
So, by that token, to buy a car in Hawaii (because you had to leave your car back on the Mainland, obviously) can be done with some other state's drivers' license, too??
Yes. Hawaii does not require you to get a Hawaii Drivers License if your existing license from another state is still valid.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Plane tickets cannot be bought "open-ended". Either you buy a round trip ticket and pay change fees to change the return date, buy one-way tickets, or a very expensive refundable ticket that can be changed with no fees.

This isn't New York or Boston - realtors aren't going to bother taking the time finding you a rental apartment. They don't make any money doing that in Hawaii. Craigslist is pretty much the only game in town or going building to building and seeing what is posted on bulletin boards.

1) You don't need a Hawaii address to open a bank account
2) You don't need a Hawaii bank account to rent an apartment
3) We agree on this one, It WILL be very difficult/almost impossible to get an apartment or even a roommate share without a job
4) Hawaii bank accounts don't require a Hawaii drivers license. You don't even have to get a Hawaii drivers license, Hawaii does not require you to get a new one when you move - the current one lasts until it expires.
5) You do need a Hawaii address to get a drivers license - but you don't have to get a Hawaii drivers license
6) A lot of people move to Hawaii without Hawaii references
Thank you. Teachers Without Borders sends people to Hawaii and I was about to ask "how the hell does Hawaii get anyone to work there, then?" Because some of those things sound like you're talking about ENGLAND or New Zealand and not Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: