Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:58 PM

7 posts, read 13,314 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Hawaii, any island really, without a job. I have not had any luck with my applications, however I suspect that is because I do not have an 808 #. I am 30, Male, Singe, and currently employed as a Quality Manager (7 years) for a manufacturing company specializing in Aerospace. My degree is in Technical Writing.

My question is, how is the current job market for this sector and does anyone think that these skills would be useful for getting a job in Hawaii? I am not married to sticking in the Quality field, however I would like gainful employment in a professional environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 02:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,970,754 times
Based on your limited information, you don't sound like you have any unique skills required in Hawaii. Quality Managers (especially in Aerospace) and Technical Writing are easy to already source locally (lots of military).

Although unemployment is near record low territory - if you have nothing tying you to Hawaii and don't have skills to set you apart from people already here, you'll have a challenge. The 808 phone number has nothing to do it.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Based on your limited information, you don't sound like you have any unique skills required in Hawaii. Quality Managers (especially in Aerospace) and Technical Writing are easy to already source locally (lots of military).

Although unemployment is near record low territory - if you have nothing tying you to Hawaii and don't have skills to set you apart from people already here, you'll have a challenge. The 808 phone number has nothing to do it.
I appreciate your candor.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzh797s View Post
I appreciate your candor.
Go over your Linkedin contacts - in Hawaii, a lot about getting hired is who you know. See if your contacts know anyone in Hawaii and can set up an introduction. Look at Indeed.com everyday.

Or, try to work somewhere on the mainland that will let you work remotely in Hawaii.

Having Secret Clearance also helps a lot.

Lastly, employers sometime take a very long time to get back to you in Hawaii - often several weeks.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:42 PM

113 posts, read 163,919 times
Just make sure you have a cash for a return ticket just in case......

Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,242,724 times
It's not that bad. I see lots of folks living in beachfront homes for $9.99 (blue tarps), and there always seems to be work in recycling engineering (collecting bottles and cans), so just come on over! (OK sarcasim off).

I am going to deal with the considering moving part of your post, rather than the job prospects part of your post - you can always find work here, just maybe not in your feild or at the pay level you would prefer, but there's work here.

There is a lot that is great about living in Hawaii. The weather, the beaches, the mountains are all incredible, but living here is a lot like living any where else for us working stiffs - you still have to work at least 8 hours 5 days a week, usually a lot more to afford living here. However, when you are off work, you ARE in Hawaii!

You need to know this upfront:

Housing is crappy, small, and expensive, but 30 and single, you are in a much better place to deal with that than if you had a wife or a wife and kids. Food is expensive. Taxes are high, and surprisingly painful financially, even at a relatively low income threshold.

Coming here expecting to live well on say, $50,000 as a single guy, is very tight (median household income is $72,000). Chicago metro, New York, Boston, DC, San Fran all have simular problems where a salary level looks great, but then the housing costs etc, actually result in a lower standard of living than a lower salary someplace else. And in those places you have mass transit options that are fairly efficient, so moving out another 20 minutes further can really change your housing costs. Here, it doesn't matter how far out you move, because housing costs are very high on the entire island.

Traffic SUCKS! The roads are fairly limited in number, and don't always go where you think they go. Our morning rush hours are comparable to LA, and last year we (Honolulu) were rated as worst traffic in the nation (we are always in the hunt with LA and DC rounding out the perenial top three). The bus sytems is actually pretty good on Oahu, but what takes and hour in the car, takes two by bus, so if you were thinking about city living with no car, just be prepared for a lot of bus time.

You can't drive to anywhere but here. Planes and rental cars at the other end of your trip become part of your travel planning, and tickets are far more expensive during some times of the year than other times of the year, and you really need to do the purchases about a month out for reasonable fares, so ANY travel requires advanced planning.

If the above does not disuade you, you'll do fine here. If I had to be broke in a major city, Honolulu would beat the pants off NY, Chicago, DC, and Boston. (San Fran, like Honolulu, may be a decent gig)

Even with all the issues, I still love living here. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post

You need to know this upfront:

Housing is crappy, small, and expensive, but 30 and single, you are in a much better place to deal with that than if you had a wife or a wife and kids.
The other thing one must understand upfront.

Nobody may rent to you without a job on Oahu. It's a competitive and tight housing market.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:11 AM

Thank you everyone for your input.

A little bit more about me: I currently reside in Kansas City Missouri. While cost of living is cheap, there are some things that are incredibly expensive, sushi for example (forget Poke, you wont find it unless you make it). My main hobbies are anything outdoors, hiking, biking, fishing and photography which are severely stymied by cold weather (13F here today). I have an extreme passion for cooking (at home). Kansas City has a wonderful culinary scene, however it's nothing like Hawaii. I am a complete food dork and could eat Japanese food every day all day.

I have been to Hawaii 4 times. 2x to Oahu, once to the Big Island, and once to Kauai where I spent a few days hiking the Kalalau and hanging in the valley there which was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I feel like I have somewhat of a grasp on things like culture, traffic, and cost.

The above are the factors that are steering me to Hawaii other than the weather and surf of course.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:13 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,090,289 times
Hawaii has very little Aerospace and very little manufacturing. Possibly even to the level of zero of both. You could try looking into the observatories on the Big Island. They are very high tech and may need technical writers and the cost of living would be lower.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:53 AM

6,785 posts, read 5,514,176 times
Hi and ALoha,
Man does not live by sushi alone, though one can try.

I have visited Hawaii, and have researched a move there mostly for retirement winter living, but will not go blindly into that dark night. VISITING is far different than LIVING there.We visit as often as possible.

You don't say you are broke, so if you can, take a visit again, this time with the eye for settling there, but leave your ticket "home' open-ended.

Find yourself a good realestate agent in HI who WILL HELP you either rent or buy, but expect 300-400 sq ft with a bath to your name if lucky for mega bucks for a condo to start you off with. If you find a good REA who WILL actually HELP you, they will help you "fit in", but unless you have a good income or a job THERE {and/or proof of steady income}, good luck unless you can "buy" your way in. We have been working with one for a year now, and she has been very helpful in knowing the order in which to do things. I have RESEARCHED {both there and from NY} about properties, etc. We will be selling off 3 larger properties mainland to get ONE small HI property. We expect to have something our next trip there, but:
1} transferring money/opening account will be a problem without HI address
2}renting will be problem without HI bank account
3} renting will be problem without proof of income
4}getting HI account without HI D/L and said address can be a problem.
5} getting a HI D/L without acceptable HI address can be a problem {don't expect a Waikiki hotel address to carry you}
6} getting anywhere without a HI reference/referral can be a problem
7}etc.

In short, they don't make it easy! They don't have the doors wide open for anybody and everybody to come in.It IS "paradise" after all, who woudln't want to live there? ALso, study/learn the culture and language, it helps. It may be hard, but it can help.

Having not worked in your sector, I can't say "there maybe ain't much there for that" but probably not. Maybe you can get some degree in the Hospitality sector? That may be your key in, but again, Hawaiian Hospitality is different than Kansas City Hospitality.

Don't go with just $5k to your name and hope to "wing it". Start with $100k,a job look-see "vacation", and the idea you may not find anything. Just my suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: