Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:22 PM

834 posts, read 1,222,960 times

Advertisements

If you believe that your forbearers were created from the kalo plant, you are Hawaiian. Speaking pidgin helps greatly to convince any doubters.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It's kind of pointless to throw out decades of work by the folks that put out the "University of Hawaiʻi Style Guide," which reserves the term "Hawaiian" to refer to people of "Hawaiian descent" and "Hawaiʻi resident" for folks that live in Hawaiʻi.
University of Hawaii Style Guide
I'm sure that is really meaningful to the few dozen people who are even aware that such a linguistic issue exists. To me that's akin to L'Académie Française proclaiming that Le Hamburger is corrupted language, while millions of French people just go ahead and use the phrase daily.

For the other 99.999% of English speaking hordes, "Hawaiian" means someone who lives in Hawai'i, while "Native Hawaiian" is the generally accepted term for people who are descended from the early inhabitants of Hawai'i, more accurately identified as Kanaka Maoli. Even the State of Hawai'i refers to the indigenous people as Native Hawaiians, while people who were born, live, and die as residents of the island, outside the gravity well of Hawaiian academia and sovereignty advocacy, are simply referred to as Hawaiians.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:22 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,524,706 times
Quote:
It's just as accurate as referring to persons of "Chinese descent" as "Asian" or persons of "English descent" as "European."
Yes, I am European-Scandanvian-Scots-Irish-English-German-Norwegian-AMERICAN.Try fitting that into a "what is your nationality" line! European-American would cover it. OR just "American".

I will soon know via DNA detailing sampling if there are any others lurking in there. I wouldn't be surprised!

Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,277,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'm sure that is really meaningful to the few dozen people who are even aware that such a linguistic issue exists. To me that's akin to L'Académie Française proclaiming that Le Hamburger is corrupted language, while millions of French people just go ahead and use the phrase daily.

For the other 99.999% of English speaking hordes, "Hawaiian" means someone who lives in Hawai'i, while "Native Hawaiian" is the generally accepted term for people who are descended from the early inhabitants of Hawai'i, more accurately identified as Kanaka Maoli. Even the State of Hawai'i refers to the indigenous people as Native Hawaiians, while people who were born, live, and die as residents of the island, outside the gravity well of Hawaiian academia and sovereignty advocacy, are simply referred to as Hawaiians.
Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes §10-2 reads as follows:
"Hawaiian" means any descendant of the aboriginal peoples inhabiting the Hawaiian Islands which exercised sovereignty and subsisted in the Hawaiian Islands in 1778, and which peoples thereafter have continued to reside in Hawaii.

"Native Hawaiian" means any descendant of not less than one-half part of the races inhabiting the Hawaiian Islands previous to 1778, as defined by the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act, 1920, as amended; provided that the term identically refers to the descendants of such blood quantum of such aboriginal peoples which exercised sovereignty and subsisted in the Hawaiian Islands in 1778 and which peoples thereafter continued to reside in Hawaii.
The "Hawaiian/Native Hawaiian/Hawaiʻi resident" issue was settled decades ago by the Hawaiʻi State Legislature, which was surprisingly cognizant enough to realize that all folks that live in Hawaiʻi aren't necessarily "Hawaiian."

Old 01-15-2015, 08:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
I know I'd get very odd looks if someone asked me where I'm from in Hawaii and I stated "Hawaiian" - in some places it might even come to blows.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-21-2015 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 09:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Quote:
Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes §10-2 reads as follows:
[indent]The "Hawaiian/Native Hawaiian/Hawaiʻi resident" issue was settled decades ago by the Hawaiʻi State Legislature, which was surprisingly cognizant enough to realize that all folks that live in Hawaiʻi aren't necessarily "Hawaiian."
This may be academically correct, however it misses the far more salient point that legislatures don't determine linguistic relevance. I say "potato," while my Swedish friend says "potatis." Language occurs in a fluid process, most particularly in English, arguably the most malleable, most adaptable, and thus the most powerful language in the world. It is full of loan words and adaptations.

The contemporary pattern in American English is to refer to indigenous people of the mainland as "Native Americans." So it's entirely natural that people would consider "Native Hawaiians" to be an acceptable way to refer to the indigenous people of Hawai'i. As it is, according to the legislature you cited and the University opinion you previously mentioned. So what's the problem? "Native Hawaiian," that's the acceptable term, as used by the State agency tasked with dealing with Native Hawaiian issue.

So what does one call a resident of America? An American. And what does one call a resident of California? A California? A Californian. And what does one call a resident of Hawai'i? A Hawaiian, obviously.

And that is, quite literally, how 99.99% of the English speaking world parses the word. Therefore, by resounding vote of majority usage, it has become the correct usage, which is why global versions of English language dictionaries define the word in the way they do.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:18 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
@Jonah K

Lets make this conversation evern more interesting. Jonah what makes you native hawaiian? Is it the Ali`i blood that runs thru your vains? Or is it your knowledge of your peoples language, culture, history, spirit etc?

Old 01-16-2015, 12:34 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Just 'cuz the cat had her kittens in the oven, you can't call 'em biscuits.

I would NEVER call myself Hawaiian and yet I've lived here for decades. Even if I was born here, (and I almost was, although if I had been, I would have been a Territorian) anyway, even if I was born here, I'd still not be a Hawaiian.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:59 AM

Ok, OK, besides the fact that I already stated it was my error, THERE IS STILL TRUTH TO WHAT I ASKED in the mannor in which I asked it!

DID it ever occur that I MIGHT have actually meant "Hawaiians" on purpose?

Perhaps It should have read more accurately:

WHat is the most important thing Hawaiians want everyone to know about Hawaii?
What is the most important thing Hawaii residents want every one to know about Hawaii?
WHat is the most import thing islanders want every one to know aobut Hawaii?

NOW, THAT is NOT going to fit in the one-liner Question title allowance they give us here....YOU HAVE to admit! PERHAPS I could have picked a one of those other lines, but I did not, so sorry, and have apologized for it and admitted I was wrong in my choice of words!

And I am sorry, As OpenD points out, but most mainlanders think of anyone who calls Hawaii "home' as being a "Hawaiian", and that the natives original to the island as "native Hawaiians"

NOt EVERYONE is aware, as Jonah K points out, that it is thusly listed. Not Everyone is reading the U of H Style guide as not everyone is going to attend U of H, anymore than EVERYONE reads the Cognressional REcord, WHICH affects/covers US all In the USA, including All residents native to, born in/on, moved to Hawaii!

NOt everyone is aware, as whtviper1 points out that that particular site he quotes states so plainly the difference. NOT ALL Hawaii Sites mention it, for example the HAWAII GOv't site here MAY have it buried somewhere, but I do not readily find a definition of Hawaiians of any kind:
Government - City and County of Honolulu

Now, going to the "official" Hawaii State Government site" at https://portal.ehawaii.gov/
Does not offer much in the way of explaination of the term "Hawaiian" readily accessible either. The use Of "becoming a resident of Hawaii" Is no differnt than :"becoming a resident of NY"
Even when I typed in the search question of "what is a Hawaiian"? it came up as "Your search did not match any document". Now when I typed in just "Hawaiian" I did get a link to a page that mentions this "...which includes provisions for the Native Hawaiian Housing Block Grant,..." Under the Department of Hawaiian Homelands. Interesting usage, that.

Finally, to further complicate IMPRESSIONS, I am currently a resident of NY. I was not born here, nor am I a "native American" iroquoi "indian" for example, but was raised here since I was 4. I have lived in a few other states but have always returned to my NY "home town". I am considered just as much a "native NYer" as the guy who was actually born at the local hospital as I have lived 90% of my life here.
Complications, complications...

Old 01-16-2015, 07:01 AM

SO, Now:

BACk to the ORIGINAL Question:

What would Hawaii RESIDENTS most want people to know about Hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: