Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:50 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times

Advertisements

Actually, what I'd personally like them to know is that we are part of the United States and it is okay to mail us things. It isn't any more expensive for them to mail a package to California than it is to Hawaii, yet frequently they won't mail us things. Some of them have told me they only mail within the U.S., other folks have actually told me they don't mail things to foreign countries. Sigh! I'm sure Alaska has similar problems and it's even worse for the territories.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:15 AM

6,790 posts, read 5,534,548 times
Hotzcatz:
I'd like to know why I can order about anything of any size, shape, weight on the mainland, but I cannot order to Hawaii?
I Firmly understand "{on the}ground shipping" is impossible to Hawaii, but really, "ground shipping" here on the "continental USA" {at least half the stuff if not most} is ACTUALLY FLOWN ON AN JET PLANE from city/state to city/state ANYWAY!!!

I'd call it plain old discrimination...UNLESS the State of Hawaii itself {and Alaska and the teritories} has rules and regualtions about the stuff that arrives on its shores.
When we visit Hawaii, we ship home via UPS or USPS our "haul" and OFTEN order stuff from Hawaii while not there. There has never been a problem either way.
I just won't be able to order the same things online when we get around to setting up a home there...BUT: that will be helpfull to the Hawaii economy to order only those "local" things supporting "local businesses" in Hawaii.

Hotzcatz:so, tell me, is there a Site or Catalog that is "Hawaii specific" for ordering JUST the goods that WILL Ship to Hawaii from the mainland???

Old 01-17-2015, 06:31 AM

130 posts, read 235,516 times
A lot of sellers don't want to bother with international shipping...

Old 01-17-2015, 09:05 AM

284 posts, read 494,209 times
Perhaps the fact that a discussion of terminology occupied the first two pages of this thread tells us something about Hawaii- I hope not...

Old 01-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Due

245 posts, read 382,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Actually, what I'd personally like them to know is that we are part of the United States and it is okay to mail us things. It isn't any more expensive for them to mail a package to California than it is to Hawaii, yet frequently they won't mail us things. Some of them have told me they only mail within the U.S., other folks have actually told me they don't mail things to foreign countries. Sigh! I'm sure Alaska has similar problems and it's even worse for the territories.
+1
This is so true. USPS shipping to Hawaii is easy as are other forms of shipment: Fed-Ex, UPS, and others. Probably why Amazon Prime is popular here, but even AP is limited somewhat.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:38 PM

6,790 posts, read 5,534,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerluli View Post
A lot of sellers don't want to bother with international shipping...
It's the fear of the water....

Old 01-18-2015, 09:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,552,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerrunner View Post
Perhaps the fact that a discussion of terminology occupied the first two pages of this thread tells us something about Hawaii- I hope not...
Actually it does, and we didn't even get into the whole Hawai'i vs Hawaii thing yet.

The meta view is that there is no single unified Hawaiian perspective that everyone agrees on concerning almost anything. There are a wide variety of views, and a variety of opinions on nearly everything. Not the melting pot at all.

Some describe it as more like a salad bowl, with big pieces of various things tossed together with a common dressing that lightly ties everything together, but with the pieces remaining distinct and identifiable from one another.

Last edited by OpenD; 01-18-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 01:26 AM

941 posts, read 1,975,052 times
I am puzzled by OpenD's insistence in the face of common local knowledge. Anyone living in Hawaii for more than a year knows clearly that saying "Hawaiian person" is an ethnographic description, not a geographic one (as Jonah K so cleverly pointed out). Yes, most people on the mainland may not understand this, and yes, it's easy to understand why they make this mistake and why they may think they're correct, but someone who cares about Hawaii's culture and how everyday life is different in a 1000 different ways would explain this nicely, not go on arguing with the other regulars.

And then to go on explaining how there is no unified Hawaiian perspective... Indeed, in many things there aren't, EXCEPT in this case where there IS absolute unanimity, so much so it was written into law. For someone who is so attached to an Internet forum's Terms Of Service, you'd think local laws would be treated with more reverence.

Lest OpenD feel picked on, I also wondered about Hawaiian by heart translating a'ole pilikia as "no problem." I've only seen it used as "no dispute," in case where there is a heated difference of opinion, not just some rhetorical "no big deal."

Last edited by KauaiHiker; 01-19-2015 at 01:35 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 02:49 AM

133 posts, read 183,400 times
+1 to this and JonahK and others who explained this point.

Language is very powerful to claim and maintain identity. If we meet people who are unaware, we can choose to respectfully inform them of the distinction. To call yourself Hawaiian when you are not Kānaka Maoli is appropriative. There's already so much of Hawaiian culture that has been appropriated or co-opted. Let's not claim what is not ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
I am puzzled by OpenD's insistence in the face of common local knowledge. Anyone living in Hawaii for more than a year knows clearly that saying "Hawaiian person" is an ethnographic description, not a geographic one (as Jonah K so cleverly pointed out). Yes, most people on the mainland may not understand this, and yes, it's easy to understand why they make this mistake and why they may think they're correct, but someone who cares about Hawaii's culture and how everyday life is different in a 1000 different ways would explain this nicely, not go on arguing with the other regulars.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:15 AM

130 posts, read 235,516 times
I guess this discussion is why many haoles feel unwelcome in Hawaii...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: