Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:26 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

7,412 posts, read 6,937,898 times

Advertisements

Please tell me about your favorite place in Hawaii to eat Malassadas. It is one of the things I would like to try when I visit Hawaii. They are hard to find on the west coast as they are traditional of the Portuguese from the Madeiran Islands and we have mostly Azorean Portuguese in California.

Please tell me what island, which restaurant and why they are your favorites.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 09:59 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,175,660 times
Wellll, you did say favorite place to eat them. For me, that would be anywhere overlooking the ocean.

But if you mean favorite malasada bakery, for me that would be the Punalu'u Bakery in Na'alehu on the Big Island. Punalu'u Bakery is a great place to stop for breakfast or lunch when traveling around the island and has a nice patio/garden area to explore as well.
I am sure there are other bakeries that have better malasadas and others will chime in.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Wellll, you did say favorite place to eat them. For me, that would be anywhere overlooking the ocean.

But if you mean favorite malasada bakery, for me that would be the Punalu'u Bakery in Na'alehu on the Big Island. Punalu'u Bakery is a great place to stop for breakfast or lunch when traveling around the island and has a nice patio/garden area to explore as well.
I am sure there are other bakeries that have better malasadas and others will chime in.
Yes, Grassyknoll I meant bakery but eating them while overlooking the ocean sounds better than in the

bakery.

Thank you.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,704,810 times
We always get them at Leonard's in Honolulu, but around here we make our own, they are just not available. Being Portuguese, we need our linguica, and find the best selection at a local Asian market where they have 6-8 brands from Hawaii. Bacalhau we have to order online, usually from Toronto Canada which still has a lot of Portuguese residents.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:44 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
Ok i remember the best was Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu st in Oahu. The quality was the best, i also loved li hing mai coated on the outside of the malasadas. Today i hear they have malasada puffs that are filled with different flavored cream like chocolate, coconut, pineapple.

Leonard's Bakery - Malasadas, Pao Doce, Malasada Puffs, Pao Doce Pups, and more...

Further i would suggest trying a coco puff from Liliha Bakery: the second best pastery on Oahu. .

Liliha Bakery: Home

Old 01-17-2015, 12:08 PM

56 posts, read 69,206 times
Leonards. hands down #1. they give them out to everyone who finishes the marathon, so you know it must be good. If you're on Hawaii, Tex's is the only other place i've had malasadas, but tastes completely different. I miss malasadas badly. When i visit i will crush a dozen a minute! haha

Old 01-17-2015, 01:01 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,795,926 times
Another vote for Leonard's.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:20 PM

You know OP i heard Leonard's now ships there malasadas to the mainland thru many shipping means. Now of course i can't say an day old malasadas is ono?

Old 01-17-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
You know OP i heard Leonard's now ships there malasadas to the mainland thru many shipping means. Now of course i can't say an day old malasadas is ono?
Does ono translate to delicious?

Old 01-17-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Does ono translate to delicious?
delicious or good yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii