Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,345,540 times

Advertisements

I saw this today in the Big Island newspaper. Very sad, and I would LOVE to see the dummies that dreamed this up live in these things. These containers will stay damp and wet in there all the time (made of steel), be about 8' by 10' apparently, and you will hear every little noise from your co tenants. But what the heck, it's just for people w/ mental health problems and "other" problems. The crazy thing (or crazier thing) is that there is plenty of land on the BI, so why cram people into a shipping container? Just plain nuts. I'm left wondering just exactly what are the qualifications to become a Hawaii housing administrator? Oh, wait, never mind. You just need to be related to someone. I forgot, it's Hawaii.

"On the Big Island, housing officials are considering building micro-units made from shipping containers. They’re planning to get seven shipping containers that are each 40 feet long and divide each into four units", said housing administrator Stephen Arnett. "Those units would be set aside for people with mental health or other problems", he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:49 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,711 times
Shipping containers can make amazing, even luxurious house structures. They are one thing we have here in abundance as we import pretty much everything in them and export barely anything.

As addressing the homeless problem I would give the idea the benefit of the doubt as any housing of them should not turn into free or ultra cheap, plus comfortable permanent housing: The more of those you build, the longer they stay and the more will come.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
How does one keep an all metal container cool? They get 120+ degrees when crossing the ocean to Hawaii. I have a hard time thinking they get AC.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 PM

941 posts, read 1,968,187 times
On the plus side, steel containers are immune to termites and albezia trees, at least until they rust.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,001 times
And splitting one container in fourths seems ridiculous. What would be more like 7X9 at best inside is smaller than most guest bedrooms in a small home. I say split the container in half or find another solution.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 PM

140 posts, read 189,090 times
Shipping containers can provide an excellent means of construction both for full sized homes as well as small temporary homes. The OP is making some incorrect assumptions.

22 Most Beautiful Houses Made From Shipping Containers

Of course containers for the displaced are not going to be luxurious, but the idea is to get someone a shelter over their head.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Mountain View Post
Shipping containers can provide an excellent means of construction both for full sized homes as well as small temporary homes. The OP is making all sorts of incorrect assumptions.

As I glanced at the homes - I suspect none are for the homeless as proposed in Hawaii.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 PM

140 posts, read 189,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
As I glanced at the homes - I suspect none are for the homeless as proposed in Hawaii.
Sometimes one just wants to assume the readership is intelligent enough to conclude some things on their own . Nonetheless I had added the obligatory disclaimer for the challenged just a moment after I posted.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:10 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Mountain View Post
Shipping containers can provide an excellent means of construction both for full sized homes as well as small temporary homes. The OP is making some incorrect assumptions.

Of course containers for the displaced are not going to be luxurious, but the idea is to get someone a shelter over their head.
Saw the same type news, (TV) on Oahu a few months ago. Showed similar pictures you posted. News report talked about using the containers for business work buildings and for the homeless.
Will have to wait and see if anything comes of this idea??

Old 01-30-2015, 12:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
The high cube (taller than 8' outside so there's enough legal headroom inside to be "habitable space") insulated containers could be made into reasonable spaces. The insulation keeps them amazingly cool inside. We had one as a farm shed and it was nice inside even in the middle of a sunny day.

Although four units per container is a bit tiny, one per container or at most two per container would be better. Perhaps these are just sleeping spaces? Not much room for bathing or cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii