Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 11:54 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times

Advertisements

It's also way you see a lot of families, 1st and second generation living at the same house. They cannot afford to move out on there own. Too expensive at the present time. All you can do is to split the rent and Utilities and have roommates to help out.
Course you have to find good roommates who are responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 05:12 PM

198 posts, read 386,948 times
Many factors drive the rental price:

Real Estate Prices
Insurance
HOAs
Supply vs. Demand
Lack of available land development
Zoning
GET Taxes
Property Taxes
Costs of Home improvement goods
etc.

This is true everywhere not Hawaii.

Hawaii's problem is: the lack of developmental areas
The cost to build and transport
Everyone dreams of living here.

Rents would go down in a heart beat if the county council started approving housing developments across the islands but no one would want to do that. (many renters complain about the rents but refuse any development; you cannot complain about both IMO). So Island rents will continue to increase and people will continue to pay them.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:28 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Actually, for Oahu, I think they just have too many people on the island. Not sure if there's any way they can fix that, though. Guess they will just keep cramming more folks onto the island. I'm not sure how that is going to work, though. Most other extreme density locations are much closer to their sources of supply.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:01 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Actually, for Oahu, I think they just have too many people on the island. Not sure if there's any way they can fix that, though. Guess they will just keep cramming more folks onto the island. I'm not sure how that is going to work, though. Most other extreme density locations are much closer to their sources of supply.
I agree. I think for all practical purposes, Oahu has enough residents. More housing sprawl is not the solution and the only real viable solution long term is going to be increased density through more high-rises and creation of walkable neighborhoods around those developments. Sort of Like Kaakako. Sprawl won't help.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Actually, for Oahu, I think they just have too many people on the island. Not sure if there's any way they can fix that, though. Guess they will just keep cramming more folks onto the island. I'm not sure how that is going to work, though.
More people move away from Hawaii than move to Hawaii for the past 25 years.

People are living longer and breed like rabbits on the islands. The birth rate is way to high - not only does it make it more crowded it causes more complaints about high prices.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:16 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
I believe we are overlooking something or choosing to ignore it? Thou it would be great that the high cost of housing could be blamed just on the birthrate and longer life. I tend to believe that the high cost was carefully planned along time ago. First stats show that more people are leaving hawaii ok great, the problem is it doesn't show who is leaving. I suspect the rich are staying and the poor or middle class is going. Further i suspect that gentrafication of oahu has more effect on housing cost then supply and demand. Oahu has always had a demand for housing since the late 60s. We laughed and joked that the new state bird in the 70s was the construction crane to build more housing to keep up with demand. But the fact remained never in history has rents been more expensive in Oahu then today and that not because we have more babys and elderly.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
But the fact remained never in history has rents been more expensive in Oahu then today and that not because we have more babys and elderly.
And, where in the US is rent less today than 40 years ago?

Old 03-11-2015, 01:44 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There's reasonable rises in cost to anything. Then there's greed that causes unbalance in society. And we are seeing the results of that in our current society today.

But the biggest gross increase in rents are areas recently gentrafied. Its monkey see monkey do.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-11-2015 at 01:52 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 02:17 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Quote:
Picher, Oklahoma.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Quote:
One would suppose Detroit, don'tcha think? They're auctioning off houses for $500 apiece. Folks could BUY four to six houses EACH month for what they pay for rent in many places on Oahu. However, the houses in Detroit would need a bit of work, and, well, then you'd also be in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: