Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Cheaper? How?

Please explain and cite your sources (like you always ask of me )
Airfare to Maui: $80+

Superferry: $39

Superferry car cost: $57

Young Brothers: $300
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:58 PM

961 posts, read 1,224,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Based on this it would appear to me the true cost a company would need to charge to transport a car from Oahu to Maui at a rate that would be sustainable for the company to provide the service and stay in business is $300.

The $57 superferry price is not a sustainable rate.

I suppose this is evidenced by one rate being charged by a company that has managed to stay in business for decades vs one that simple bled money and could never even reach their break-even thresholds.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:37 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,122,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Based on this it would appear to me the true cost a company would need to charge to transport a car from Oahu to Maui at a rate that would be sustainable for the company to provide the service and stay in business is $300.

I suppose this is evidenced by one rate being charged by a company that has managed to stay in business for decades vs one that simple bled money and could never even reach their break-even thresholds.
You can't argue logic with viper. It's pointless.

He believes YB is making 500% margin on shipping cars.

And that 7,000 gallons of diesel to power the SF is free. They're just giving the stuff away.

Makes you wonder......

Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Is it fair that you state sustainable pricing rates for YB and airlines and promotional lose-money rates for the SF?

No it isn't.

And that's where you fail.

Just curious... but do you know how much a gallon of diesel costs? It's not 10 cents/gallon. Maybe that's why your math is so off?

Old 04-20-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Is it fair that you state sustainable pricing rates for YB and airlines and promotional lose-money rates for the SF?

No it isn't.

And that's where you fail.
You seem to have made a leap I support a private sector venture to build a ferry system.

I do not. A ferry shouldn't be a money making enterprise it should be treated as public transportation. Today there is no mechanism to travel between the islands except via the private sector.

I would support a public sector ferry system subsidized by taxpayers such as the bus system or other nationwide ferry systems.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:54 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,277,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post

Actually, the $57 car transport rate was sustainable as long as they charged $50,000 to the U.S. Army to transport a Stryker vehicle.

First and foremost, the Superferry was designed as a military transport vehicle -- transporting passengers and non-military vehicles was secondary to its mission. After all the dust settled, the former Superferries ended up in the hands of the U.S. Navy as the USNS Puerto Rico and the USNS Guam. "The Superferry Chronicles" by Koohan Paik and Jerry Mander provides more information on the military mission of the Superferry.
Koa Books -- The SuperFerry Chronicles

Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
But who knows maybe the 100th time of doing the same thing over and over again it may work.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
You seem to have made a leap I support a private sector venture to build a ferry system.

I do not. A ferry shouldn't be a money making enterprise it should be treated as public transportation. Today there is no mechanism to travel between the islands except via the private sector.

I would support a public sector ferry system subsidized by taxpayers such as the bus system or other nationwide ferry systems.
Of course you would. You were the one that said you'd gladly pay double the property taxes you're paying now. Good luck getting the public behind you with the pitch for higher taxes.

Once you present the SF (or similar) concept as public transportation/taxpayer funded and revealed TRUE operating costs, public support will plummet.

You can't have it both ways. The public supported the SF because it was always someone else's money - not their money.

Most people prefer a leaner, more efficient, smaller government with higher quality ESSENTIAL services.

You want a fatter, less efficient, larger government providing UNESSENTIAL services.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,308,702 times
Does the Molokai Princess still operate?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Most people prefer a leaner, more efficient, smaller government with higher quality ESSENTIAL services.
I see - that must be why Hawaii is such a left leaning democrat state - Hmmmm, last I checked, the democrats aren't exactly known for lean and small government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii