Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:01 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,542,156 times

Advertisements

did I say.... water??

http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/wher...ianae/25652936
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:10 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,308,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
u left out the one from iraquois point to pearl harbor....
I lived on Maui close to 20 years, only a few months on Oahu. (moved off island '06) This is the one I remember because in the early 90's I was shown some of the plans at someones home that was involved as a partner. If I recall correctly, the plans I saw involved a ship with underwater hydrofoil wings. I thought that was the reason for it not working out, but I see there was an issue with no EIS.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:16 PM

48,626 posts, read 35,086,908 times
The odd thing was that companies like Matson, Horizon etc. do need an EIS, but all of a sudden a ferry does. I won't argue the the pros and cons of an EIS, but I will argue consistency.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-10-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I lived on Maui close to 20 years, only a few months on Oahu. (moved off island '06) This is the one I remember because in the early 90's I was shown some of the plans at someones home that was involved as a partner. If I recall correctly, the plans I saw involved a ship with underwater hydrofoil wings. I thought that was the reason for it not working out, but I see there was an issue with no EIS.
Interesting as there may have been another... the one I am talking about used to ferry DOD employees from Iraquois to PH. they had another. Koolina? to nanakuli?? I know a ferry went into Aloha tower... from where I cannot recall. all passenger fairies...

Old 04-11-2015, 12:26 AM

941 posts, read 1,973,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The odd thing was that companies like Matson, Horizon etc. do need an EIS, but all of a sudden a ferry does. I won't argue the the pros and cons of an EIS, but I will argue consistency.
Is this on topic? Do you really want to start another debate (aka litany of facts) about the past ferry venture? If yes, maybe you could start by telling us how you think the HI Supreme Court justices misinterpreted the law?

Old 04-11-2015, 12:43 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,268,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
u left out the one from iraquois point to pearl harbor....
The Navy shut that down the small boats a few years ago. Was good for the people living in the Iraquois point navy housing back than. Now the housing has gone private now. The Ship yard workers also used the small boats.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:45 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Is this on topic? Do you really want to start another debate (aka litany of facts) about the past ferry venture? If yes, maybe you could start by telling us how you think the HI Supreme Court justices misinterpreted the law?
I think it is on topic. Let's face it, radical extremists got the Superferry shut down. If the residents could vote Yes/No on Superferry we would have a ferry.

I suspect if the people could've voted on it, you'd have over 90% support

Last edited by whtviper1; 04-11-2015 at 12:58 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I think it is on topic. Let's face it, radical extremists got the Superferry shut down. If the residents could vote Yes/No on Superferry we would have a ferry.

what was the dollar figure.... that the tax payer footed?

Old 04-11-2015, 01:58 AM

941 posts, read 1,973,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Well duh, 90% of the population is crammed on Oahu, and of course they want to get to nicer, quieter places on the weekend.

But that would be a fun ballot question: do you want a private corporation to be exempt from certain Hawaii state laws, while also paying $40 million for harbor improvements that only benefit the same private corporation.

Since we're having a referendum, how about we put all the following to popular vote: marijuana, gambling, male jungle fowl fighting, gay marriage, speed limits, light rail, high speed rail, telescopes, monster trucks, and tooth fairies. Maybe you could ask for Hawaiian airlines to get exempt form some laws and get 40 M from taxpayers too, somehow.

Litany of facts it is: concerned citizen groups brought legitimate concerns to the courts (that whole redress of grievances), and the courts ruled in their favor--twice. The executive branch was obliged to follow the ruling of the highest state court. Next you'll tell me it was activist judges that sank the ferry.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:24 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Well duh, 90% of the population is crammed on Oahu, and of course they want to get to nicer, quieter places on the weekend.
No, less than 70%, 1.42 million in the state, 953,000 on Oahu.

Quote:
But that would be a fun ballot question: do you want a private corporation to be exempt from certain Hawaii state laws, while also paying $40 million for harbor improvements that only benefit the same private corporation.
The people of Hawaii overwhelmingly want an interisland ferry system. $40 million isn't exactly a big number.

Quote:
Since we're having a referendum, how about we put all the following to popular vote: marijuana
Not exactly stopping anyone.

Quote:
gambling
YES!!

Quote:
male jungle fowl fighting
I doubt the less than 1% have a chance on that

Quote:
gay marriage
The people wanted it - the people got it.

Quote:
speed limits
A moot point considering we have some of the worst traffic in the US

Quote:
light rail, high speed rail
Hawaii had its chance to vote in the last mayoral election - hint, rail won.

Quote:
telescopes
Hard to vote on that since it is private land

Quote:
monster trucks
Hmmmm, I've never seen one on Oahu - perhaps the safety checks get them - lots on Kauai??

Quote:
and tooth fairies. Maybe you could ask for Hawaiian airlines to get exempt form some laws and get 40 M from taxpayers too, somehow.
Good idea!

Bottom line, despite the silliness - the ferry was meant for people who live in Hawaii who needed a cheaper option than flying and an option to take cars so they can visit family/friends. Radical extremists killed it. If you don't want a Superferry so be it - but you are in an extreme minority.

"When Mufi Hannemann brought up reviving an inter island ferry service, it was widely supported throughout the state. The critics seemed to be focused on partisan politics rather than transportation alternatives for Hawaii’s people. A recent StarAdvertiser online poll underscored just how overwhelming the support for reestablishing a ferry service is, and the attached letter to the editor says it all pretty clearly."

http://votemufi.com/tag/hawaii-superferry/

Last edited by whtviper1; 04-11-2015 at 04:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii