Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 PM

960 posts, read 1,223,379 times

Advertisements

In the end, even without the red tape, law suits, etc. the service was doomed if it was just going to be a general public transportation service. The ridership just wasn't there. They averaged less than 50% capacity. And even down as low as roughly 25% capacity during long periods of time. This low capacity was even with low fares. If the other problems didn't kill the ferry, then eventually the low ridership would have. It was just a matter of time.

Possibly a smaller fleet of boats that cost less to operate and have a smaller carrying capacity to maximize occpancy on each run, might work.

But bottom line for me is that I don't see any real need for the ferry personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,781,405 times
@Green_Mountain

Whats missing? Is why did the department of transportion ignore the initial requirement for an environmental studies or permits before operating? Then what put the nail in the coffin was court rulings that faulted the environmental exemptions Gov. Linda Lingle’s administration approved so the company could cut costs and begin operating sooner.*Another words the government was so eager to get big money profits here they cut corners. It wasn't the protesters, or the requirement for environmental studies that killed the project. It was political manevering and cuting corners. Sorry.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:15 PM

18,437 posts, read 19,088,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The demise of the Superferry has nothing to do with profitability - rather, radical extremists on Kauai.
gee, who knew radical extremists on kauai had so much power. people against the ferry protested, that doesn't make them "radical extremist".

Old 04-14-2015, 04:20 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,244,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There was a ferry Ewa Beach to Honolulu in existence from 2007-2009, cancelled due to low ridership and costs. Called The Boat.
The Navy ran one for military comuters from Ewa area to Pearl a couple days a week. I had a LTC buddy that used to ride his bike to the pick up point, then ride to his office at the drop point. The service may have been shut down in the last year or two, but may still be operational - I don't use it, and don't know.

Any ferry that connects the islands that carries cars (making day trips possible) will need to contend with the political power of the Hotel, Rental Car, and Airline special interest alignment having a vested interest in NOT allowing a viable ferry option to succeed.

If you can't bring cars on the next generation ferry, well, then airlines are a better option, and I don't see the ridership/use rising to a level to cover the costs of operation - so you won't have significant opposition, but you also won't have a service that is of much use to most Hawaiians.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:52 PM

48,590 posts, read 35,062,280 times
/standing ovation for Green_Mountain

Although I'm sure your stance is not controversial enough to get many here backing that up. IIRC a lot of people were not riding because you had no idea if "protestors" on surf boards were going to block the arrival harbor (which was happening). As people were not riding for "fun" but for vacation (reservations) and for business, that was a VERY big problem.

We will not get other private companies coming back, and the thought of the government being able to manage (anything) is a little too much to ask for. They can keep their hands off my tax dollars, I'm already paying for a rail that I am not convinced will do much. The only reason I do not complain more is it was voted on.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-14-2015, 06:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,990,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
In the end, even without the red tape, law suits, etc. the service was doomed if it was just going to be a general public transportation service. The ridership just wasn't there. They averaged less than 50% capacity. And even down as low as roughly 25% capacity during long periods of time. This low capacity was even with low fares. If the other problems didn't kill the ferry, then eventually the low ridership would have. It was just a matter of time.
The Superferry business model probably assumed heavy losses for at least the first 3 years of operation. It takes time to build a customer base and I can't imagine a scenario where they thought they could be profitable for at least years. The timing also sucked since Hawaii was also in the recession - visitor numbers just plain sucked when they launched - it would've been a different story today now that we are in the 4th year of record tourism.

For instance, lets say you are an airline based in Honolulu - and you want to start flying to a new market like Shanghai. You know that for at least 2 years that route won't make any money - but eventually due to market awareness, advertising, promotions, you eventually turn that into a profitable business.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:06 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,382,592 times
Again, asking as an outsider with limited exposure and familiarity, how does freight, as opposed to passengers, get from one island to another -- -especially the smaller, outlying islands. Obviously, not everything used and consumed in Hawaii can be manufactured locally, and my guess is that major mainland industries would maintain a warehouse or "distribution center" on Oahu, and possibly, the big island. I do know, for example, that Hawaii was home to only two small-scale oil refineries last time I researched.

But how would a smaller island, particularly one with more sophisticated demands (Maui, for example) be supplied with the necessities of day-to-day living?

Old 04-14-2015, 07:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,990,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Again, asking as an outsider with limited exposure and familiarity, how does freight, as opposed to passengers, get from one island to another -- -especially the smaller, outlying islands.
By barge.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:23 PM

48,590 posts, read 35,062,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Again, asking as an outsider with limited exposure and familiarity, how does freight, as opposed to passengers, get from one island to another -- -especially the smaller, outlying islands. Obviously, not everything used and consumed in Hawaii can be manufactured locally, and my guess is that major mainland industries would maintain a warehouse or "distribution center" on Oahu, and possibly, the big island. I do know, for example, that Hawaii was home to only two small-scale oil refineries last time I researched.

But how would a smaller island, particularly one with more sophisticated demands (Maui, for example) be supplied with the necessities of day-to-day living?

By ships that did not an Environmental Impact Statement.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,275,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Possibly a smaller fleet of boats that cost less to operate and have a smaller carrying capacity to maximize occpancy on each run, might work.

But bottom line for me is that I don't see any real need for the ferry personally.
It's been tried before. Despite the best-laid plans of government and various business entities over the years, ferries have never been successful in Hawaiʻi.
Can a ferry float? A private firm and the state both work on an idea that has yet to hold water -- Honolulu Star-Bulletin Business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii