Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times

Advertisements

Having read the Supreme Court Appeal - I think the Superferry could've survived if they wrote the legislation correctly that allowed it to operate - it came down to less of an issue of the Environmental report than the legislation was considered "special" law rather than "general" law - also interesting, the appeal was by Sierra Club, a California organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 PM

48,626 posts, read 35,086,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Having read the Supreme Court Appeal - I think the Superferry could've survived if they wrote the legislation correctly that allowed it to operate - it came down to less of an issue of the Environmental report than the legislation was considered "special" law rather than "general" law - also interesting, the appeal was by Sierra Club, a California organization.
A lot of people and organizations will go where the publicity is.

How did the difference of "special" versus "general" law impact things? I've never read the Appeal.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It's been tried before. Despite the best-laid plans of government and various business entities over the years, ferries have never been successful in Hawaiʻi.
Can a ferry float? A private firm and the state both work on an idea that has yet to hold water -- Honolulu Star-Bulletin Business
I guess thats kinda the curse of hawaii government politics, they just can't manage the big projects. Remember Aloha stadium? Now 30+ years old. Theres a design flaw in the materal used and foundations, now the government may have to demolish it or come up with almost $99 million to be completely restore the stadium and an additional $115 million for ongoing maintenance and refurbishment over the next 20 years to extend its useful life plus anyone remember how many delays in building happened? There are other current and past projects that just says it all. Anyway another topic.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:55 PM

Hawaii is not famous for well run projects.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Hawaii is not famous for well run projects.
Im pretty sure with you living on oahu for a few decades you could talkstory about a few examples huh?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:01 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,387,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Again, asking as an outsider with limited exposure and familiarity, how does freight, as opposed to passengers, get from one island to another -- -especially the smaller, outlying islands?
Quote:
By barge.
Thanks! Can you provide any detailed info on this? -- possibly a link to the carriers engaged in the trade? Just to satisfy an old Logistics major's curiosity.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 PM

Young Bros. is one.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

How did the difference of "special" versus "general" law impact things? I've never read the Appeal.
I'll let you do the reading....

Cliff note - since the Superferry legislation was deemed "Special" law by the Supreme Court - it was declared unconstitutional.

http://download.gannett.edgesuite.ne...superferry.pdf

Old 04-14-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I'll let you do the reading....

Cliff note - since the Superferry legislation was deemed "Special" law by the Supreme Court - it was declared unconstitutional.

http://download.gannett.edgesuite.ne...superferry.pdf
So another words that the Department of Transporation erred in not requiring the Superferry to first conduct an environmental impact statement before starting service. Heeding the high court’s instruction, a lower court ordered the Superferry to suspend service until it finished the environmental review. Gov Lingle responded by calling a special session of the Legislature in October 2007 in which state lawmakers passed a law to circumvent the court’s ruling and let the Superferry run while completing the study. Environmental groups appealed to the Supreme Court, which agreed in March 2009 that the law passed by the state legislation and the Gov was unconstitutional.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:27 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Thanks! Can you provide any detailed info on this? -- possibly a link to the carriers engaged in the trade? Just to satisfy an old Logistics major's curiosity.
As Mikala mentioned, Young Brothers is the inter-island barge service. I think they are the only one, although for awhile there was another option. However, the other folks didn't want to service the non-profitable islands so they are gone now, I think.

It's pretty reasonable to ship inter-island via barge, I don't see why it wouldn't be economical to ship folks as well as boxes and crates. Not sure about how or if you'd crew the barges. Guess if you're putting passengers on them, you'd need some sort of crew. They occasionally either lose the whole barge or lose containers off the barge, so they may not be passenger friendly, but I don't know enough to know.

There used to be a big sailboat that sailed as a cargo ship between a lot of the smaller islands, there doesn't seem to even be the option of inter-island sailboats. Although that would take awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii