Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 06:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
but there are easily several thousand Sierra Club members on every island (except Kauai which probably has under a thousand).
That seems extraordinarily high to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 PM

140 posts, read 189,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
And for moving just people around, airplanes are very efficient, and so very competitively priced. In the end it is just so much more convenient to get on a 30 minute flight and take another 30 minutes to rent a car, and not that much more expensive.
I am not discounting your statement/opinion, which others here have also expressed, but some people keep expressing it as an either/or option when it doesn't have to be that way. The dominance of air travel hasn't stopped Grayhound from being a viable business. Similarly, though there is no doubt that the vast majority of travel between the islands will take place over air, that doesn't mean a ferry could not serve a very real demand.

BTW, I think it's funny how everyone keeps mentioning the 30-minute flight while ignoring the fact that you should show up at the airport 60 minutes early. Now add in your 30 minute car rental and you're at 2 hours.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:31 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,126,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The highest consecutive 3 month period of highest visitor arrivals is June-July-August and July specifically historically being the highest month. Hawaii is a family destination, arrivals always spike when the kids are out of school, summer and holidays. Furthermore, when the Superferry was in action - visitor arrivals are not anywhere near where they are at today when we were in a deep recession.

29% occupancy from reading the story doesn't sound like they were surprised - unless you are privy to the business plan - that might've been the target. Quite frankly, if they were selling less than cost - it probably was good for them to have a ship go out less full - less full means less fuel.

I took 1 round trip on the ferry (did you) - I thought it was fun and didn't see anyone get sick on my trip.
Can you ever admit you're wrong about anything?

Dec-Feb have similar arrival numbers and this is when the ocean is at its ugliest.

The SuperFerry has stated that it needs to operate at 50-70% capacity with only 2 weeks/annual downtime. They were operating at HALF their minimum capacity to stay alive and were experiencing downtimes that were 3-4X greater than anticipated. This means they would have to operate at 60-80% capacity once you factor in their unexpected/erroneously projected downtimes resulting from typical run of the mill Hawaii weather. AND this was for the calmer part of the Pacific Ocean. The Kauai channel is some of the roughest, gnarliest sea in the world. Downtimes experienced between Kauai and Oahu would be much, much greater.

Yet to get to a pathetic 29% capacity, they had to offer fares ($29-$39) that were 1/4-1/5 their actual operating cost. They could offer the tickets FOR FREE, and they probably still wouldn't meet their 60-80% capacity requirements to stay solvent. There simply were not enough people that wanted to ride it. If the SF charged fares that actually make them profitable (i.e. >$100), their ridership figures would be at about 5%-10%. And that's being generous.

No I did not ride the SF. And my reason for that is simple - the sea is very unpredictable. I can get on a plane and the flight will vary from a little bumpy to very smooth. Regardless of weather conditions, however, it doesn't turn the plane into one big vomit bag; if it's a rough flight, I know it will be very short (minutes vs hours). When visiting outer islands by plane, I also know I can make it back home if the weather conditions change (which is, well, what weather does). When you take the SF, you have NO idea what the weather will be like on sailing day. You just cross your fingers the weather will allow you to get back home. These two very important considerations - not knowing if you will be sitting on a barf barge and not knowing whether you will actually make it back home on your scheduled return date is what deters most people from wanting to ride it. I know this because this is exactly how I felt (and others I know) and that's why I didn't ride it.

You may not agree, but to most people, these two factors are HUGE deterrents to the successful marketability of the SF. There are many other reasons why the SF failed, but reliability and comfort (or lack thereof) are ultimately what created an environment of very low ridership figures.

And for the record, I do have irrational fears of flying. So while an inter-island PASSENGER ferry system would be a great alternative for me personally, I don't want to have to pay more taxes to subsidize yet another unnecessary government-operated form of transportation (e.g. rail). It's not necessary to our society and therefore the government should stay far, far away.

Last edited by pj737; 04-16-2015 at 08:48 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Mountain View Post

BTW, I think it's funny how everyone keeps mentioning the 30-minute flight while ignoring the fact that you should show up at the airport 60 minutes early. Now add in your 30 minute car rental and you're at 2 hours.
The waits for the SF were worse. You don't just drive on and the boat sets sail. Sometimes it can take an hour or more after you drive on before the ship sails. And the same can occur at the destination. 5 hours from arrival of vehicle to release of vehicle was not uncommon.

5 hours.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

Dec-Feb have similar arrival numbers and this is when the ocean is at its ugliest.
Really? math says otherwise:

December 2014 - Feb 2015 = 2,071,000 visitors
Jun 2014 - Aug 2014 = $2,224,000 visitors 7.3% more visitors

December 2013 - Feb 2014 = 1,997,000 visitors
Jun 2013 - Aug 2013 = 2,201,000 visitors 10% more visitors

Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Really? math says otherwise:

December 2014 - Feb 2015 = 2,071,000 visitors
Jun 2014 - Aug 2014 = $2,224,000 visitors 7.3% more visitors

December 2013 - Feb 2014 = 1,997,000 visitors
Jun 2013 - Aug 2013 = 2,201,000 visitors 10% more visitors
I said "similar". Seasonal difference between those periods is generally about 5%.

But that's besides the point. The people most likely to ride the SF are locals that own their vehicles and have a ton of crap piled in them that they want to shuttle between islands.

But who knows... you might think visitors would actually pay to ship a rental car from one island to another.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

But who knows... you might think visitors would actually pay to ship a rental car from one island to another.
Of course some would - unless you think nobody has figured out weekly rentals are cheaper than daily rentals and rentals at an airport/harbors are going to have much higher fees/taxes associated with them.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Of course some would - unless you think nobody has figured out weekly rentals are cheaper than daily rentals and rentals at an airport/harbors are going to have much higher fees/taxes associated with them.
Only 7 car rental companies allow their cars to board the SF. 7. And how many vacationers would actually elect to do this? 5 hours lost bouncing from one island to another by boat vs 2 hours lost by flying? These people have saved thousands to stay here for a week or less. Their time is precious. Furthermore, if operating sustainably (i.e. not at a massive loss), the cost to travel via SF vs air would actually be more.

So more $$$ and more time wasted.

That's some smart vacationers you got on your ridership list there.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,272,677 times
Enough people is interested and want a interisland ferry. Otherwise why would the Hawaii Senators want state to explore interisland ferry system?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:55 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,792,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Enough people is interested and want a interisland ferry. Otherwise why would the Hawaii Senators want state to explore interisland ferry system?
Its because it brings in state money and federal money like the lightrail. It doesn't matter if it truely benefits residents of hawaii or not. Thats the bottomline motivation. Often people who have lived on the islands for decades can usually know the truth by witnessing past big money projects that flopped, been mismanaged or only benefitted foreign big money investors.

Scott who is really spearheading the return of superferry is the independent party governor canadidate for Hawaii Mufi Hannemann, but Hannemann’s*most recent financial disclosure report shows he owns stock in two companies that are working on the design and development of advanced ship hull forms and researching lifting hull technologies. Special interests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii