Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 01:27 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times

Advertisements

First, this is NOT intended as a debate. This IS an honest question on my part.

I saw protesters (a pretty sizeable group) on the side of the road in Nanakuli on my comute home last night, and I am honestly confused by the protests about the Moana Kea telescope project.

I understand that the protesters are saying it is sacred land, but I am unaware of a specific archeologic site, grave site, temple or worship site, or any other specific sacred site that would be disturbed by the proposed location. Are there any? And if there are what are they? Where specifically are they located? And finally, can the issue be addressed by siting the telescope in a slightly different location?

If the conept being protested is the entire moutain is a sacred site, then I am genuinely confused as to why there are already several telescopes on the site (top of the mountain), a gift shop and education center at about the 7,000-8,000 ft level, a road system, and some amount of agriculture activity on the sides of the mountain.

So, why this particular telescope, and why now for the protests?

PM responses are fine, I expect this to be a 2-3 post thread with some one that can actually give me an answer to my question, because it simply doesn't make sense to me, and it appears to be a manufactured issue, not a true issue of desecration of sacred land based on the statements of the protesters (although I don't know that they speak for the protest organizers, and may not really know what the issues are).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 01:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post

If the conept being protested is the entire moutain is a sacred site, then I am genuinely confused as to why there are already several telescopes on the site (top of the mountain), a gift shop and education center at about the 7,000-8,000 ft level, a road system, and some amount of agriculture activity on the sides of the mountain.
Back when all the other stuff happened on Mauna Kea, you didn't have things like the internet to notice all the noise in Hawaii. The protesters are just better at marketing in 2015 than they were back when the original telescopes were built. Quite frankly, when things were happening in Hawaii pre-internet, hardly anyone would take notice.

Last edited by whtviper1; 04-10-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Back when all the other stuff happened on Moana Kea, you didn't have things like the internet to notice all the noise in Hawaii. The protesters are just better at marketing in 2015 than they were back when the original telescopes were built. Quite frankly, when things were happening in Hawaii pre-internet, hardly anyone would take notice.
Fair enough, and that may actually be the answer - nobody noticed before.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:33 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Tuck, I understand your questions and personally don't have any answers. I thought that there were plenty of hearings held before the County gave approval. The local people I talk with here say that they are still angry about the first 12 telescopes built there, and instead of building more some of the old ones should be torn down.

MAJOR COMMENT: Sorry to be rude, but you live in Hawaii and you really should know how to spell Mauna Kea. The people in my community would consider that a direct insult to their culture.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Even the Office of Hawaiian Affairs approved the project:

The Hawaii Independent: OHA backs down from contesting the TMT sublease

Old 04-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Tuck, I understand your questions and personally don't have any answers. I thought that there were plenty of hearings held before the County gave approval. The local people I talk with here say that they are still angry about the first 12 telescopes built there, and instead of building more some of the old ones should be torn down.

MAJOR COMMENT: Sorry to be rude, but you live in Hawaii and you really should know how to spell Mauna Kea. The people in my community would consider that a direct insult to their culture.
Spelling is a personal weakness, and add in Hawaiian language spelling and I'm a disaster waiting to happen - no insult or offense was intended, and yes, I have lived in Hawaii for 10 of the last 13 years.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:16 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:

But as of yesterday the OHA said that they are going to re-think this decision. One of the Trustees said that they propose going back over all of the decisions made since 2009. There was an article in yesterday's Honolulu Civil Beat.

Sounds like the County government may be facing lawsuits if they let the TMT go ahead and lawsuits if they don't

Old 04-10-2015, 06:48 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
OHA has been having problems getting themselves all on the same page on multiple issues.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-10-2015, 07:11 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
The money for OHA is just too sweet. They will not block the deal but bid on time that the protests fizzle.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:20 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,316 times
Quote:

did they even ask the people that they are suppose to represent? If they wanted it or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: