Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:08 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,822,056 times

Advertisements

I have used the airports on Kauai, Oahu, Molokai, Lanai, Maui and both airports on The Big Island and have never had a problem with any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 12:12 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
Fly into Kamuela, no worries about almost all of that stuff. Although, there's no rentacars there, so that might make things interesting.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:21 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,414,490 times
1. We in Kona happen to love our airport just the way it is.
2. If you lived here you would realize that a lot of things are "convoluted" in Hawaii. the little Kona airport is the least of our concerns.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:25 PM

681 posts, read 1,210,077 times
I find Hilo to be nice and very efficient.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:17 PM

16,586 posts, read 10,692,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Take a bus, man
I'm waiting for them to extend the H-1 a bit eastward.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Why generalize all Hawaiian airports because Kona's is not adequate? The others are all fine. Have you been to any others?
I've been to Honolulu airport on all five of my trips to Hawaii. I've been to Hilo airport on four of the trips, Kona, Kahului, and Lihue airports on two of the trips each, and Molokai airport on one of them.

By no means does this make me an expert, but it's enough for me to conclude that Hawaii's airports are not "all fine" -- in my opinion, of course.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Perhaps the problem isn't the layout of the airports, and more of a problem with comprehension on your part.
I will certainly concede that this is a possible explanation. But I think it's also possible that this might have something to do with it:

Quote:
Having spent a significant amount of time at all of Hawaii's airports over the years
Hawaii's airports are very familiar to you, so their layout and function and signage is probably something that you really don't give any thought to. It just IS, just like the drive from home to work "just is." You're so used to that trip, they could probably tear out every single road sign between your home and your workplace and you wouldn't even notice the difference. But it's a very different experience for a tourist.

Have you visited very many Mainland airports? Yes, some of them are the pits. (I'm looking at YOU, LAX.) But in the large majority of the ones that I've visited, the traveler experience is simply easier and more efficient than it is in Hawaii's airports (Hilo excepted).

If you ever have occasion to visit the East Coast, try flying into Baltimore's BWI Airport. Make sure you're flying Southwest Airlines. Concourses A and B (the ones that Southwest use) are far and away easier and more pleasant to use than ANY airport in Hawaii. Just the mere fact of having to wait in only ONE line to check your bags and obtain your boarding passes, in an air-conditioned building -- which, as I said, is the norm in Mainland airports -- is so much easier.

I notice that no one has explained to me why one has to wait in FOUR different lines to check in. I would really love to know. Is there a good, solid reason for this, or is it simply because "we've always done it this way" and thus no one has taken the time to think that maybe, just maybe, there's a more customer-friendly way to do it?

I realize that complaining about airport check-ins and lack of air conditioning is a First World Problem, and I draw no sympathy from the large majority of my fellow East Coasters who have never had the privilege of being able to visit Hawaii at all, much less go there five times. And yes, I've loved my Hawaii experiences enough to make me return all these times, and I wouldn't be surprised if I came back again for a sixth time one of these days. But just because I love your state, doesn't mean it's perfect in my eyes, and doesn't have some room for what I feel could be some improvement.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:50 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,583,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
But just because I love your state, doesn't mean it's perfect in my eyes, and doesn't have some room for what I feel could be some improvement.
And that's where anyone from the Mainland is inevitably going to **** off long time Hawaii residents and locals. It's ALRIGHT for US to ***** about it, but when an outsider does so, it's just friggin rude. I know it makes little sense to mainlanders, but the logic from this side is indisputable.

Hope this,,, uuuurrrrppp, scuze me, helps

Old 07-18-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
And that's where anyone from the Mainland is inevitably going to **** off long time Hawaii residents and locals. It's ALRIGHT for US to ***** about it, but when an outsider does so, it's just friggin rude. I know it makes little sense to mainlanders, but the logic from this side is indisputable.

Hope this,,, uuuurrrrppp, scuze me, helps
If it'll make you feel any better, feel free to come to Maryland and complain about all the stupid things we do here. Odds are, I'll agree with you -- and that's even though, on the whole, I LIKE living here.

But if you complain about our airport, I'll know you're full of it!

Old 07-18-2015, 08:00 PM

82 posts, read 98,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Have you visited very many Mainland airports? Yes, some of them are the pits. (I'm looking at YOU, LAX.) But in the large majority of the ones that I've visited, the traveler experience is simply easier and more efficient than it is in Hawaii's airports (Hilo excepted).
Guess we have had very different experiences at places like EWR, PHL, IAD, ORD, SFO...

HNL is great - did you visit the gardens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii