Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 8,943 times

Advertisements

^Thank you all for responding to my message! Your feedback helped... Anyway, thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 04:12 PM

430 posts, read 639,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
People can just move closer to their place of employment, activities of interest, school or wherever they frequent most. Traffic is worse for those that make bad decisions.
You've never been to Oahu have you?

Old 07-27-2015, 04:44 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
You've never been to Oahu have you?
I've been living here my entire life. Traffic is a lot worse for people that don't know how to plan their lives appropriately. They choose to live in locations that require (generally for work) long drives on congested roadways at peak rush hour. If you're OK making that sacrifice - lots of time sitting in traffic to get that bigger house, privacy, yard, lower density living, cheaper rent/mortgage etc - don't complain about it. Nobody is forcing anyone to live anywhere.

It's hilarious how people incessantly complain about traffic yet do nothing themselves to address their own personal situation. They expect the government and everyone else to accommodate them so they can whisk around from place to place unencumbered by other vehicles.

The real pain is going to come once rail is built. Because not only is traffic going to get a lot worse with all the new TOD housing that's coming with rail, it's going to get a heck lot more expensive to drive a car in general.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:30 PM

430 posts, read 639,814 times
Quote:
I've been living here my entire life. Traffic is a lot worse for people that don't know how to plan their lives appropriately. They choose to live in locations that require (generally for work) long drives on congested roadways at peak rush hour. If you're OK making that sacrifice - lots of time sitting in traffic to get that bigger house, privacy, yard, lower density living, cheaper rent/mortgage etc - don't complain about it. Nobody is forcing anyone to live anywhere.

It's hilarious how people incessantly complain about traffic yet do nothing themselves to address their own personal situation. They expect the government and everyone else to accommodate them so they can whisk around from place to place unencumbered by other vehicles.

The real pain is going to come once rail is built. Because not only is traffic going to get a lot worse with all the new TOD housing that's coming with rail, it's going to get a heck lot more expensive to drive a car in general.
Look at what rent costs close to downtown, where most jobs are. Normal working people cannot afford those rents.

I work in Pearl City and I currently live here too. But I rent a tiny room that reaches 100F some days, and typically hits 95F. I don't consider that liveable for a human being. Living close to work is not possible when there are no decent rentals available.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Look at what rent costs close to downtown, where most jobs are. Normal working people cannot afford those rents.

I work in Pearl City and I currently live here too. But I rent a tiny room that reaches 100F some days, and typically hits 95F. I don't consider that liveable for a human being. Living close to work is not possible when there are no decent rentals available.
You didn't happen to live in Maui before, did you?

I have to disagree that "normal working people cannot afford those rents" - it isn't like the rental units near downtown are sitting empty because people can't afford them - on the contrary, rent keeps increasing which reflects high demand in the market. If people couldn't afford them - the rent would go down. Now, I could agree "no decent rentals are available", mainly because they are already rented.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adch5792 View Post
Hello,

This is my first time posting on this site so it would be great if someone who is willing to do so could help me out. I recently graduated from college, and I have been looking to move out of state. I currently live in Colorado, but I would like to move to Hawaii or Oregon. At the same time, I have done research on both places and it seems like everywhere whether it is Hawaii or Oregon is becoming more expensive. I am currently unemployed and looking for a job which I have been looking for this summer. I have looked a lot in Hawaii and a little bit in Oregon. I also have some money saved, but I need more money so I can get by on my own. Anyway, my question is what is the best place in Hawaii or Oregon for a young, recently graduated person could afford to live? Also, if someone is from either Hawaii or Oregon what is a good place I could apply to so I can get on my feet before I jump into a career?

Thank you.

-Young Individual Needing a Change of Scenery

P.S.

I have applied/emailed many places in Hawaii since Hawaii is my first choice, and Oregon is my second choice. The places I have applied to are hotels/resorts, water sport companies, and other places that I cannot think of at the moment. Okay. Thank you.
Having spent a lot of time in both Oregon and Hawaii, I'd recommend Portland, Oregon for your situation. While Hawaii is beautiful and the weather and beaches are beyond compare, it will cost you a lot to live there. you will likely find basic living expenses take all your paycheck or more.

Portland has a much more vibrant restaurant scene, music scene and varied entertainment scene. Your living costs can be much lower in Portland and you will be more able to live near a hip neighborhood and have some disposable cash to spend on things you enjoy. However, it's also more likely to feel like Colorado.

I love Portland and I love Honolulu. But on a budget, Portland wins easily in my mind.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:10 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:

There are tens of thousands of normal working people living close to downtown. Yes rent is more but they save on commuting costs. The savings can be substantial. Sometimes even more than the diffence in rent.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:10 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Quote:
The best way to see Oahu is in the military! You'll get a very generous BAH to cover your rent. In fact that seems to be the main factor in 1 bedroom and studio apartment high prices. Landlords count on servicemen with a lot of money to spend on rent.
Yes! This was how i was able to come to Oahu.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:45 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Note to the OP - It all depends on what sort of football team you want to root for- Univ Hawaii is a good second tier team, The Ducks are first tier. But if you really want to root for the best team in the land, Columbus OHIO (Go Bucks!) is the best place to be.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 AM

287 posts, read 1,372,112 times
Quote:

You have hit this thing right on the head! People choose to go to Hawaii then complain! Regarding moving to Hawaii or Oregon....Hawaii is a lot riskier move...further away, more expensive, less opportunity unless you have a very specific skill / education. And why Hawaii anyway...is it lifestyle, is it to get away and start a new, is it just nice to do? If you want to start your life after graduation...start it on a solid foundation...don't lose focus or waste your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: