Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,953 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving to Hawaii. I am 21 (female) and want to get away from the mainland to explore a new culture and ways of thinking! I thought Hawaii would be a great place to start.
I want to be able to enjoy nature as far a nice beach to swim and soak up the sun, possible small surf and scuba. Also, a place where I can go on a nice ole' hike.
However, I am 21 so I would like to have a bar, show, or festival/ party to go to every now and then. Just somewhere that it is easy to meet people and, maybe, a younger crowd too? I am not much of a partier...I barely drink or go out as it. I just like to be social!
What island do you think would be a good one to move to? Or a good city/area of town? Preferably, not Honolulu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 11:44 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
If not Honolulu, then perhaps Hilo. It's a college town these days with younger folks and the cost of living isn't as high on the Big Island as it is on the others. It rains a bit now and then in Hilo, but there's loads of sunshine between the rain showers. The big sandy beaches are on the other side of the island, although rent is higher over there, too.

Can you visit a few of the islands before deciding?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,953 times
I was thinking of going a trip to visit a couple islands. Hilo looks and sounds great from the research I have done! It seems like a beautiful place. Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

Old 11-02-2015, 12:03 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,268,352 times
Kona is on the dry side of the Big Island. Rent is higher over on the Kona side.
Two Jr. colleges, if you are interested.

www.kona123.com/communitycollege.html
Hawai'i Community College - PALAMANUI

Old 11-02-2015, 12:45 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
Kona is also full of folks "Living In Paradise" (insert rum drinks with little paper umbrellas and folks who believe in fluffy pink unicorns dancing on rainbows in paradise here ). But there's other more reasonable folks over there, too. Kinda hot and dry, though, with fields of black lava everywhere. But, it's also got some nice beaches and the coffee is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: