Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 19,545 times

Advertisements

He, your son could be a copy of my son.

Beeing blond with blue eyes is not so special here on the Big Island, you will be surprised to see how many blond boys and girls are walking around.
My son goes to public school and has no problem what so ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 PM

66 posts, read 354,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheMystic View Post
Please check out the school. Where I taught we had so many kids from the mainland come in like lambs to the slaughter. Parents just could not have fathomed what it was like for them. There are some places I'm sure he would be fine, and others not so much.
Amen on this one. We've lived here on Oahu for 5 years and his school will make a huge difference. I would recommend *Noelani* or *Hokulani* if you can live in Manoa or around the UH area. My kids were homeschooled for the first few years here then I enrolled them in *Makalapa Elementary* which is a so-so school. My daughter was bullied by a big polynesian boy when she first arrived but he was disciplined by the school and it did not happen again.

Next they went to Jefferson (we moved to Waikiki) this was the WORST school we have ever attended. Alot of the teachers speak *Pidgin* which is fine for their personal lives but not in the classroom. "Put da period at the end of da kine," is just not educational if you ask me. My kids are very blonde and were treated with distain and dismal by some of the staff and teachers.

I was bullied by some of my son's special ed teachers. Basically they were blaming me for his educational weakness.

I would avoid Palolo, my children were bullied and cussed at on the playground for being *haole.*

Overall our experiences have been good but there have been a few speed bumps along the way.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 PM

850 posts, read 4,365,835 times
[quote=We're All Aliens;2842056]

Quote:
Next they went to Jefferson (we moved to Waikiki) this was the WORST school we have ever attended. Alot of the teachers speak *Pidgin* which is fine for their personal lives but not in the classroom. "Put da period at the end of da kine," is just not educational if you ask me. My kids are very blonde and were treated with distain and dismal by some of the staff and teachers.
i agree with you on this point! although, i was born and raised here, pidgin was ABSOLUTELY NOT ALLOWED in our home. there's a time and a place for it. might have been different had my mother not double majored in english and early education.

Quote:
I was bullied by some of my son's special ed teachers. Basically they were blaming me for his educational weakness.
that is appalling (spelling)!

Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 AM

67 posts, read 199,128 times
Default blond & blue-eyed

I took my 8-year-old blond & blue-eyed son to Hawaii for vacation and in Kona, at the Blockbuster, he was cornered by a couple of locals who told him to "go the **** home." Ever since, I haven't even been able to get my son to consider going there on vacation let alone living there, so nasty was his first impression of Hawaii. Unfortunately.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:25 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagyzebra View Post
I took my 8-year-old blond & blue-eyed son to Hawaii for vacation and in Kona, at the Blockbuster, he was cornered by a couple of locals who told him to "go the **** home." Ever since, I haven't even been able to get my son to consider going there on vacation let alone living there, so nasty was his first impression of Hawaii. Unfortunately.
being asian living in the mainland, I hear the same thing "go back to where you come from".

Old 02-17-2008, 07:28 AM

20 posts, read 40,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
being asian living in the mainland, I hear the same thing "go back to where you come from".

I'm an asian living on the mainland and I've never got told this or even hear people saying that once, and I live in NYC! It was mostly people calling everyone "Chino" or mocking us by saying chinese gibberish though. Annoying as hell.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM

39 posts, read 159,994 times
Well, this may not be an issue. It looks like I'll be going to law school, so any move to Hawaii is a long ways off. Thanks for all of your input!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 PM

226 posts, read 861,189 times
Like anywhere it totally depends on where you would be living. I lived in Honolulu for a year and it was fine. My hubby lived there for about 12 years (part of middle school, high school and uni) and he was fine although his high school did have kill a haole day once a year, needless to say he didn't go to school that day. We had intended to go back and he was offered a job there, but the salary was poor and by then we had children. After looking into the schools in the areas we could afford to live we decided not to go. Do your homework, just like anywhere, there are parts of Oahu where I'm sure you would not be as welcome as others.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:12 AM

649 posts, read 3,445,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtoscano View Post
Well, this may not be an issue. It looks like I'll be going to law school, so any move to Hawaii is a long ways off. Thanks for all of your input!
OMG, why would you want to do that?!?!

(if you haven't been reading here long, you should know that THIS lawyer
is getting ready to move to HI in the summer... so if you're looking for the down and dirty about law school, feel free to DM me)

BTW, we're in Kaua'i now and I have to say, THANKS for saving all the nice weather for us! We're loving it. Checked out Island School yesterday and it's wonderful, our son really likes it (he sat in on a couple of classes), and we like their attitude in general. Still working on the job thing... but I have a couple of possibilities. It was eye-opening to hear that a CPA (wife of someone we met) is being offered jobs at $8-10/hour!! I knew it was bad, but that's awful!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 AM

2 posts, read 38,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagyzebra View Post
Okay I am young and dont have kids but understands a kids Position. I am from Hawaii well born and raised never once have I ever judged or bullied a haole or let alone anyone. But yes I understand the cruelness of us Hawaiians now days. Polynesian kids period have a tendency to believe that they are all high maka-maka(think highly of themselves) not just Hawaiians but Samonas too.I do not hate any race but I am saying Poly's here have best need attitude adjustments...but best thng to do isto leave it be..the more you try to fight back the more you just light their fire.....well yeah what do I know..I'm a kid hehehe but this is hwat I just gotta say on this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii