Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:37 PM

57 posts, read 120,801 times

Advertisements

H-E-L-P!!

I keep having trails of ants coming in the house. I keep my food sealed and kitchen very, very clean. Still, I have ants. I have gone around the perimeter of the house and sealed the cracks. Then they come in by the doors. I have sprayed Terro, put Terro baits outside, and used the white chalk, Dead Fast around the doors. They are small brown ants. I actually got a magnifying glass right now to check one out (right before it met its demise). Their heads and tails are darker than their middle. What kind are they and what else can I do?? Mahalo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,630 times
I have the same problem here in New Mexico. These little brown grease ants all over my house. The Orkin man told me I could 'control' them but not eliminate them.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:21 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
There are safe chemicals that can repel them. I think ants don't like the smell of orange oil or something like that. Or maybe it was mint oil?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:25 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,720 times
These sounds like (what we found out are called) ghost ants. We used to have them, too. TONS of them. Near the outside doors (or windows). In bathrooms, kitchen, etc. Once between the two panels of glass in a lined, stained-glass window. We used Raid when we would see them, but Terro didn't seem to help.

Terminix told us they're water-seeking ants, not sweet-seeking ants. (Whee! On an island!) We've had their pest control for a few years now, and haven't seen them for a long time. Don't love the chemicals, but we love the results. Probably available at retail. We dry out sinks, tubs, and showers now, too. Would love to know if there's a more "natural" way to keep them out.

Best of luck.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:32 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
BTW, after my last landlady had the outside of the house sprayed, I stopped seeing ants completely. It took a few days but they just vanished. I refused to let them spray the inside because I didn't want those toxic chemicals, and I'm glad I did.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:25 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
We use a product called Amdro. It's a granule that you spread around outside around the foundation. It came highly recommended by several people in our neighborhood. Almost immediately (to my surprise), the ants inside the house disappeared. Entirely! It's been a week and I haven't seen any ants reappearing inside the house. YAY!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:58 PM

406 posts, read 865,553 times
I've read that ants don't like cucumbers and that if you place slices of cucumber at their point of entry it will keep them from coming in. Google "ants and cucumbers" for more info.

Mickey

Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
I generally mix boric acid powder with whatever is attracting the ants and in a day or two they are all gone.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 PM

57 posts, read 120,801 times
Default Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks to all of you who replied with advice. I am wondering if what works on the mainland will work here since the ants may be of a different variety?

Why not, I do think they are ghost ants as I looked up their picture on the internet. And, they do seem to congregate around areas with water. Couldn't they just go to the beach? Not good for beach goers, however.

Dreaming of Hawaii, we used Amdro on the mainland and it did work great there. I will look for it here.

Have an ant free day!!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 PM

109 posts, read 410,031 times
We tried everything on the island when we arrived in July. I got tired of chasing them down and sweeping them up......called termix and got results within a week. No more ants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii