Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 04:53 PM

114 posts, read 148,566 times

Advertisements

Hmm.. maybe you just get used to the mosquitos? I'm the type of person who gets eaten alive even when I'm around other people who only get a bite or two. I'm lucky in that sense...lol. As far as being offered multiple positions, I'm under the impression that I get put in a pool & then principles call me from there. If I had multiple offers, that'd be great but I'm unsure that it would actually happen. After the intake interview, I'm planning on emailing schools in the Waimea/Honoka'a area just to introduce myself, but I can't fill a job that there isn't an opening for, so we'll see.

Thank you for the inishgt on Pahoa & Keaau. The more I read about it, the more I feel like we'd be sacrificing more than we'd be saving money-wise. That & from the properties I've seen on CraigsList, the cheaper properties in Puna are like shacks... and the good looking ones are in the 800-1200 range like other properties we've seen in Waimea. Of course we're going to physically visit them before we commit to anything, but I've just been browsing.

Honokaa seems beautiful & the best of both worlds, but I'm really hesitant about Hilo. I don't know why I'm so apprehensive...part of it is the coquis/mosquitos/rain, but I just don't feel drawn to it the way I do to Waimea & the Hamakua coast.

Pauuilo & Laupahoehoe seem nice... although Laupahoehoe is a charter & I'm not super familiar with charters. They are looking for subs, so that's always a back-up plan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 AM

473 posts, read 797,502 times
My wife works for a charter school in another school and loves it. Easiest way to describe it is a hybrid between private and public. Enrollment is open like a public school, but leadership is concentrated at the school level instead of the board/superintendent level.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:58 PM

35 posts, read 48,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
Hmm.. maybe you just get used to the mosquitos? I'm the type of person who gets eaten alive even when I'm around other people who only get a bite or two. I'm lucky in that sense...lol. As far as being offered multiple positions, I'm under the impression that I get put in a pool & then principles call me from there. If I had multiple offers, that'd be great but I'm unsure that it would actually happen. After the intake interview, I'm planning on emailing schools in the Waimea/Honoka'a area just to introduce myself, but I can't fill a job that there isn't an opening for, so we'll see.

Thank you for the inishgt on Pahoa & Keaau. The more I read about it, the more I feel like we'd be sacrificing more than we'd be saving money-wise. That & from the properties I've seen on CraigsList, the cheaper properties in Puna are like shacks... and the good looking ones are in the 800-1200 range like other properties we've seen in Waimea. Of course we're going to physically visit them before we commit to anything, but I've just been browsing.

Honokaa seems beautiful & the best of both worlds, but I'm really hesitant about Hilo. I don't know why I'm so apprehensive...part of it is the coquis/mosquitos/rain, but I just don't feel drawn to it the way I do to Waimea & the Hamakua coast.

Pauuilo & Laupahoehoe seem nice... although Laupahoehoe is a charter & I'm not super familiar with charters. They are looking for subs, so that's always a back-up plan!

Honokaa high school had a huge (for the Island at least) issue last year around this time with the principal basically getting run out of town for absurd negligence (both parents and the teachers union went after her), there might be some opportunities there as it caused chaos - one article:

Honokaa High principal placed on temporary leave - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

And since I noticed you mentioned Elementary schools also there is a national blue ribbon school in the town of Kaumana (uphill from Hilo) 'E.B DeSilva', its essentially the crown jewel of B.I public schools and far enough up the mountain to be mosquito free (cool/moist due to elevation), worth looking into maybe.

There is also a relatively large charter school in Downtown Hilo called 'Connections charter academy', probably easier to get in there than into a traditional public school and a much smaller student body.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:00 PM

35 posts, read 48,314 times
^note I did not read the whole thread so my info may be redundant

Old 03-14-2016, 10:58 AM

Woah! That's quite a conflict. Hopefully that has somewhat resolved? I can't find any updates on it.

"Approximately one third of the school's core academic classes are being taught by unlicensed teachers or those not certified to teach in their disciplines said Miles Okumura, a Honoka'a teacher who has filed a grievance." This makes me vaguely optimistic but also concerned since we are both licensed and qualified in our disciplines...maybe that will be an asset?

We will keep E.B. Desilva in mind...we haven't really looked around the Hilo schools because of what we've read about Hilo (muggy, humid, damp, moldy, rocky beaches) but may need to reconsider & read up about some of the positives.

I looked around the Connections Charter Academy page but was unable to see if there are any openings. I'll have to give them a call closer to summer & ask if they have any vacancies. Thanks for all the info!

Old 03-14-2016, 03:41 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Yup, the principal was relocated and there's new management at the top, although I don't know if they're officially there or just temporary until a new permanent principal is found. The teachers are back to teaching where they should and the unlicensed cronies the old principal wanted to bring in aren't there. Apparently, that principal had been a problem at her previous school and they'd moved her to Honokaa because of community disgruntlement at her previous location.

Honokaa is one of the bigger schools so a lot of times they get someone at their last three years before retirement. Since it's one of the biggest schools, it pays the principals the most and a teacher's retirement amount is based on the highest three years of salary. So, a principal almost ready to retire gets moved to Honokaa so they get a larger retirement. It shouldn't be a problem, you'd think the school would end up with a good principal that way, but apparently the good principals don't want to leave the school they've been with for years or something. It also means that the school goes through a lot of principals so the new principal just gets things organized and the school running smoothly, then they leave and the whole new-principal-getting-settled-in thing starts all over again.

What was your teaching specialty? I don't remember if it was mentioned.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What was your teaching specialty? I don't remember if it was mentioned.
I'm English 6-12 & will be Reading & Literacy Birth-12 as well in August. He's Elementary & Special Ed. 1-6.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Honokaa is both a high school and elementary with a library located just off the school grounds. There's a Friends of the Library meeting today to see what they can do to improve the library to meet today's needs. They have a few computers, not sure if there's a wi-fi hot spot there or not.

Laupahoehoe also has elementary through high school and their library is part of the school grounds. If they need an English teacher, that might be the nicest spot since you'd be able to easily migrate the kids to the library. Very small class sizes at Laupahoehoe. Honokaa is a much bigger school and a much larger town. Although Laupahoehoe's restaurant is back in business.

Laupahoehoe has the school/library, a pretty nice swimming pool, a small store, post office with fire station nearby, there used to be a bakery but it's gone, a gas station with a convenience mart as part of it, a train museum, a nice ocean side park, Papaaloa store (it's technically a different village, but it's directly adjacent to Laupahoehoe) has been redone and they sell food now, too. Have I forgotten anything? Papaaloa has a gym and a Hongwanji (Buddhist temple) and Laupahoehoe has a small church and a small meeting hall, I think.

Honokaa is much bigger with multiple eating places, multiple shops, a whole main street of them, banks, hospital (there used to be a hospital in Laupahoehoe, but I think it's in use as some sort of offices now), dentists, hair dressers (oh, I think there's one in Laupahoehoe, over by the transfer station). Laupahoehoe has a nicer swimming pool and better ocean access (notice I'm not using the word 'beach'?) However, Honokaa has a much bigger population so there's more things in Honokaa. They're both good little towns, although Laupahoehoe is more along the line of a village than a town.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:17 AM

Thanks for all the info! We'll have to apply around & see who wants us. I'd rather be in a bit of a bigger town, at least to start, because I'm concerned about making friends & I figure if there are more people, we have better chances. I really want to be in the Waimea area; however, there are a ton of schools in Hilo so I better research up. I also haven't visited so it's hard to gauge what I do & don't like without the in-person aspect of it. From what I know, Hilo itself has an "Old Hawaii" feel, very rainy (but mostly at night), predisposed to mold because of the humidity, awesome farmer's market, and pretty walkable. Oh, & no sandy beaches, but still places to swim. Am I missing anything? I'd love to hear any more pros/cons of Hilo.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:48 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
Yes, we are hoping for two incomes but are also trying to be flexible with one of us being hired & the other one of us subbing until we find a full-time position. However, there's only so much that we can plan before we just have to wing it.
I'm on Maui and I know a young couple from Oregon, both professionals working at a major resort, that are 'Winging it'.

They are currently spending nights in a tent parked close to their SUV and Mini Cooper because they don't have enough money for both rent and their car payments, auto-insurance, gas, and food, health costs, and outrageous storage costs of almost $400 a month for all the stuff they sent on a POD from Oregon.

They choose to maintain payments on their new vehicles over a place to sleep with solid roof over their head.

Note also, they also brought their dog from the mainland, and found it extremely hard to find a room for rent that will accept a dog on the property, with room to park for 2 vehicles. Now, the dog sleeps in their tent with them. And also note, where they are camping is not free, it's $20 a night EACH, just to camp, with cold water community shower.. they also have to keep moving campsites after 2 weeks.

"Winging it" gets old real quick.

Last edited by trinity1111; 03-18-2016 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: add expensive storage costs for stuff brought from mainland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii