Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:28 PM

114 posts, read 148,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Waimea on the Big Island may work for you. Cooler temperatures yet an easy drive to the nice sandy beaches. DOE schools, charter schools as well as Hawaii Prep. Lots of other upper level educated folks what with the observatory and medical personnel in the area. Housing is a bit more expensive than Puna, but should be quite manageable on a two teacher household income. With the right house and lifestyle, it's even manageable on a one teacher salary. It's cheaper than Maui. Lots of farmer's markets for fresh veggies as well as KTA & Foodland (the local grocery store chains) for fresh veggies, too.

We're in the next town over, Honokaa, which may also work for you, too. Similar to Waimea although a bit less expensive, smaller and a bit more rural.
Waimea sounds wonderful & from what I know, it seems that it generally isn't in any intense lava zones. I will definitely have to look more into Waimea. So far, northeastern Big Island seems to be fitting the best. Of course, a lot is out of my hands in terms of hiring, but it's nice to know where to prioritize/where to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 01:46 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,789,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
Would you say the Big Island (particularly Hilo/Puna) is more inexpensive/easier to find reasonable housing on than Maui? I know nothing in Hawaii is truly inexpensive, but in comparison?
For sure. WAY cheaper!

Waimea is a good consideration.
I would prefer nearby Honokaa because it's warmer and not so windy, as I recall.
Less rain than Hilo/Puna too.
This area may be a bit too sleepy for you though.

I actually know a grade school teacher in Honokaa who lives on the "wet" side of Waimea.
Not sure why she chose to live in Waimea. Maybe it was a good deal on a studio apartment, or maybe she prefers the cool temps.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
For sure. WAY cheaper!

Waimea is a good consideration.
I would prefer nearby Honokaa because it's warmer and not so windy, as I recall.
Less rain than Hilo/Puna too.
This area may be a bit too sleepy for you though.

I actually know a grade school teacher in Honokaa who lives on the "wet" side of Waimea.
Not sure why she chose to live in Waimea. Maybe it was a good deal on a studio apartment, or maybe she prefers the cool temps.
Does it make sense to teach in a more expensive neighborhood & commute from a cheaper one? Or is it better to live in close proximity? I assume that we will have to rent a car (shipping a car from NY to Hawaii wouldn't be worth it) & I'm just brainstorming. I hate commuting & would prefer it to be 30 minutes or less. Also, when looking for housing, I know Craigslist is good (but to be aware of deals that are too good to be true) & to always tour before putting money down, but are there any websites specifically for renters in Hawaii? I know a lot of it is word of mouth, but that won't really be an option for a while.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:44 AM

430 posts, read 640,385 times
I would move only if you can afford to buy a house, because otherwise you'll spend a huge amount of money on rent, and that will only increase year after year. Hawaii is on an unsustainable trajectory due to outside money. Are you OK with moving to Hawaii and then leaving in 3 years due to being priced out of housing?

Also, buy a hybrid. You may be looking at cars and think "Oh it gets 30mpg highway, should be very cost effective". You won't get the highway mpg anywhere in Hawaii, you'll get the city mpg because of how roads are set up and the elevation changes.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:45 AM

10,578 posts, read 7,789,955 times
That could be a tough call, cost and desirability of housing vs. long drive, one that I thankfully have never had to make.

I'm with you regarding the concept of commuting: Hate it.

Traffic on the Big Island isn't bad, though not surprisingly it's become progressively worse over the years.

Sorry, I'm no help with the housing question. Perhaps your prospective employer could be of assistance.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,342,113 times
What are teaching salaries there? Are you getting good vibes about teaching jobs and getting your certification?

Old 12-09-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
What are teaching salaries there? Are you getting good vibes about teaching jobs and getting your certification?
I've read that they're in the 45-50k range for teachers with their masters, which is low considering Hawaii's cost of living, but I think I could make do. Any vibes I'm getting are soley because of my positive attitude lol. I'm fully certified in NY so getting my provisional Hawaii cert is just a matter of paperwork. I am well-qualified but only have one years teaching experience, so there are a lot of factors like whether the hiring committee will think I'm a good fit, whether they prioritize young teachers, nepotism, etc. etc. I was hired with no job experience for my current position and I have an excellent relationship with my administration (so I'll be receiving letters of rec, positive references & such). There are just so many factors it's hard to make any kind of prediction. There is going to be Hawaii recruitment in NY in April so I am hoping that process will give me more concrete info on the teaching front.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
I would move only if you can afford to buy a house, because otherwise you'll spend a huge amount of money on rent, and that will only increase year after year. Hawaii is on an unsustainable trajectory due to outside money. Are you OK with moving to Hawaii and then leaving in 3 years due to being priced out of housing?

Also, buy a hybrid. You may be looking at cars and think "Oh it gets 30mpg highway, should be very cost effective". You won't get the highway mpg anywhere in Hawaii, you'll get the city mpg because of how roads are set up and the elevation changes.
Thanks for the heads up about a hybrid! I've always wanted one & hopefully that's something I can seriously pursue. In terms of housing, I think we want to rent temporarily until we find a place that feels "right" & want to do something more long term. We're also open to alternative housing like yurts but I like my amenities so there's still a lot to consider there.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
That could be a tough call, cost and desirability of housing vs. long drive, one that I thankfully have never had to make.

I'm with you regarding the concept of commuting: Hate it.

Traffic on the Big Island isn't bad, though not surprisingly it's become progressively worse over the years.

Sorry, I'm no help with the housing question. Perhaps your prospective employer could be of assistance.
You've been a lot of help! Thank you for all the insight. I'm glad to hear that traffic on the Big Island isn't bad-- I despise traffic/commuting & the bustle involved, which thoroughly explains us pursuing the kind of lifestyle I think Hawaii has to offer.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:01 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,174,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
Does it make sense to teach in a more expensive neighborhood & commute from a cheaper one? Or is it better to live in close proximity? I assume that we will have to rent a car (shipping a car from NY to Hawaii wouldn't be worth it) & I'm just brainstorming. I hate commuting & would prefer it to be 30 minutes or less. Also, when looking for housing, I know Craigslist is good (but to be aware of deals that are too good to be true) & to always tour before putting money down, but are there any websites specifically for renters in Hawaii? I know a lot of it is word of mouth, but that won't really be an option for a while.
How long have you been teaching? Hawaii schools are like mainland schools. Good schools are hard to get a job in. Not impossible but the better the school the less openings.

Commutes in Hawaii can be short or long depending on accidents. One accident and the commute tripled in time. I lived on Maui for three years. Lived in Kula, Makawao, and Wailuku. My drive to the heliport could take anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 from Wailuku to Kahului. The drive from Kula could take an hour. It could also take 30 minutes depending on how fast I went down Haleakala.

I'm a Maui fan but the Maui I loved isn't the same as it was when I lived there. I have occasionally looked into teaching in Hawaii again but I'm not ready to leave Alaska yet.

My advise in the rental or shipping a car is buying an island beater. Seriously. Find something local that runs. Who cares what it looks like.

Beaches with little traffic? Lol. They are there but not where you'd want to live cost wise. Don't neglect Ricky beaches. Some of the best free diving I did was from rocky beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii