Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:22 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times

Advertisements

Check Craig's List for the availability of items. Pack casual clothing of natural fibers, if it's any island other than Oahu, figure you won't need to dress up any better than what you wear when having lunch with friends. No opera, no really high end restaurants, no fancy dance clubs on islands other than Oahu. Also, you won't need winter wear heavier than early fall clothes. A light jacket and maybe a raincoat if it's not lined, but most folks don't bother with raincoats since the rain doesn't usually last that long. Find out how much you can bring as luggage, a couple of $50 checked boxes would get your immediate necessities here right away. Carry-on medical records, your computer (if it's a laptop) and medicines along with any prescriptions. Find out what weight and volume of stuff you can bring with you on the plane and fill up that amount of space.

Stash family heirlooms in your mom's attic or somewhere like that. If you put them in labelled boxes and decide later that you must have something, someone can go get the box and mail it to you.

Bring small things that have good memories attached to them. If something has bad memories, ditch it.

Forget UPS and FedEx, they are significantly more expensive than the post office. Once you find out which island you're gonna be on, you can ship everything via General Delivery to a nearby post office and then pick it up once you get here. The Post Office has a 'media rate' which is good for printed matter and books. Their flat rate boxes are good for small heavy items.

Sell everything there and bring cash to buy more things here. If you sell it used there and buy it used here, generally it's pretty much the same price, if you calculate not having to pay shipping, that will make up for any differences in cost between one and the other.

The Island of Hawaii has many of the big chain stores such as Costco, Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears, Ross', Target, etc. Even Walmart and Kmart, too, but I don't approve of their business practices. There's also a lot of island stores such as HPM (hardware) and KTA (groceries) so if you shop there, your money stays on the island and enriches the island instead of flying off to the mainland headquarters of a big box store. Which is also why it's good to buy stuff from other people instead of a chain store. Stuff is pretty easy to get anymore.

If it were me, I'd guess lack of respect isn't part of why there's a high teacher turnover. At least, it might be lack of respect but not because they're a teacher but because they're malahini and clueless. A teacher is held in high regard because they're a teacher, but when folks move over here from the mainland there is so much stuff that they just don't know. So it's an odd dichotomy (don't use that word in your classroom, they won't know it) between being a knowledgeable teacher and a clueless mainlander. It's kinda tough for someone to try to teach without holding out the example of "this is the way we do it where I come from". Folks here are real sensitive to that attitude. If there's some way you can celebrate or empower the local ways while teaching them how it's done elsewhere?

Not sure if in general families value education. They do value the family a lot around here, though. Education not as much, I'd guess. It's more of who you know (or who you're related to) than what you know that gets folks by around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 06:49 PM

114 posts, read 148,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If it were me, I'd guess lack of respect isn't part of why there's a high teacher turnover. At least, it might be lack of respect but not because they're a teacher but because they're malahini and clueless. A teacher is held in high regard because they're a teacher, but when folks move over here from the mainland there is so much stuff that they just don't know. So it's an odd dichotomy (don't use that word in your classroom, they won't know it) between being a knowledgeable teacher and a clueless mainlander. It's kinda tough for someone to try to teach without holding out the example of "this is the way we do it where I come from". Folks here are real sensitive to that attitude. If there's some way you can celebrate or empower the local ways while teaching them how it's done elsewhere?

Not sure if in general families value education. They do value the family a lot around here, though. Education not as much, I'd guess. It's more of who you know (or who you're related to) than what you know that gets folks by around here.
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I'm a minimalist & have been going through my belongings so I have less to take & store by Summer 2016 (when I hope to move). I have read a lot about being culturally responsive when teaching in Hawaii-- I just hope to find a community that gives me the chance to learn. I am doing my best from online forums & readings, but there's nothing like real-life experiences to really acclimate. Would you say that most areas are full of friendly people? Like holding the door, smiling when passing someone kind of deal. That is a huge priority for me & I know I should stay in different places for a month or two to get a feel myself but I don't have the opportunity to travel with my current work & grad school situation.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:45 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,174,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I'm a minimalist & have been going through my belongings so I have less to take & store by Summer 2016 (when I hope to move). I have read a lot about being culturally responsive when teaching in Hawaii-- I just hope to find a community that gives me the chance to learn. I am doing my best from online forums & readings, but there's nothing like real-life experiences to really acclimate. Would you say that most areas are full of friendly people? Like holding the door, smiling when passing someone kind of deal. That is a huge priority for me & I know I should stay in different places for a month or two to get a feel myself but I don't have the opportunity to travel with my current work & grad school situation.
Hawaii has its share of friendly locals and its share of unfriendly locals. As a haole, I found the best way to encounter friendly locals was to respect the culture and not act like I was better than them.

Hawaii is magical if you are ok with being a minority.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,112,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I found the best way to encounter friendly locals was to respect the culture and not act like I was better than them.
It's unfortunate that many people that come here don't share that same sentiment.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:36 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,414,228 times
Default well...

First, best of luck. I would highly suggest you emerse yourselves in the 'local' culture. Not the 'hawaiian' culture, believe me they are totally different. I ran into a woman on Maui who was distraught because she was going to have to leave her teaching position. The reason, she tried to make a 'cultural' change her students removing their shoes before entering the classroom. She should have known better...so, please, do yourselves a huge favor and research all the little nuances that are present in the Islands. The people are rough, to say the least and the kids take after their families. The apples do not fall far from the trees.
That's all the warning I can give you.
Koale

Old 12-30-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Hawaii has its share of friendly locals and its share of unfriendly locals. As a haole, I found the best way to encounter friendly locals was to respect the culture and not act like I was better than them.

Hawaii is magical if you are ok with being a minority.
I think I'm all set in terms of respecting different cultures & not acting in a superior way. It seems like that goes without saying, but there are all kinds of people... I don't mind being a minority. I assume a lot of the "white hate" people talk about on these forums is from people who don't respect ways of life other than their own & then are surprised by any backlash. Since I consider myself a respectful person, I am not worried about that aspect of Hawaii.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
First, best of luck. I would highly suggest you emerse yourselves in the 'local' culture. Not the 'hawaiian' culture, believe me they are totally different. I ran into a woman on Maui who was distraught because she was going to have to leave her teaching position. The reason, she tried to make a 'cultural' change her students removing their shoes before entering the classroom. She should have known better...so, please, do yourselves a huge favor and research all the little nuances that are present in the Islands. The people are rough, to say the least and the kids take after their families. The apples do not fall far from the trees.
That's all the warning I can give you.
Koale
I aim to be as culturally responsive as possible-- I'm very open-minded & I work with my students to figure out what works best for everyone. I'm not a "my way or the highway" person, so I think that I'd probably adapt well to a classroom in Hawaii considering I'm open to learning myself. Is there anywhere else to research these nuances other than city-data? I've been reading about Hawaiian culture but there is so much variation it's hard to make blanket statements (& I try not to, as every town can vary significantly). I'm hoping that being open-minded & willing to learn will be useful when acclimating.

Why do you say you are "warning" me? If I am culturally responsive & learn from my students & value their perspectives, I am optimistic about what teaching will be like. I'm sure that families & students will be wary of someone who is new to the area, but hopefully everyone will warm up once they get to know us. If there is anything I truly need to be "warned" about, please let me know!

Old 12-30-2015, 03:53 PM

33 posts, read 157,063 times
You are obviously intelligent people and have pitched your expectations realistically. I would focus your research on work opportunities and speak with people in education here. I am not an expert in the field, but have heard education may suffer under-funding. Read that how you like. I would let that research lead my choices, the rest will fall into place as—from what you say—anywhere in Hawaii will offer most of what you seek.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty007 View Post
You are obviously intelligent people and have pitched your expectations realistically. I would focus your research on work opportunities and speak with people in education here. I am not an expert in the field, but have heard education may suffer under-funding. Read that how you like. I would let that research lead my choices, the rest will fall into place as—from what you say—anywhere in Hawaii will offer most of what you seek.

Thank you! I would love to speak to those currently teaching in Hawaii but I've been struggling to find websites (or threads here) that address that. It seems like most of the threads are questions about teaching rather than answers from teachers themselves. I've spoken to a friend of a friend currently teaching in Hawaii, but she's in Oahu & that lifestyle seems pretty significantly different than the one we're pursuing. That & we think the Big Island & Maui make the most sense. Narrowing it down to one island would be helpful but I'm not sure we're ready to make that decision quite yet.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:08 PM

33 posts, read 157,063 times
Yeah, you might not find answers here. How about calling one or two schools on Maui or the Big Island, explain what you are doing, and ask if anyone has some time to talk with you. Choosing between islands is difficult as everyone has an opinion, if you know what I mean. I've lived on the Big Island and now live on Maui, but am thinking of moving to Oahu. All the islands are rural, and a bit parochial if you are from the west or north east. Big Island and Kauai probably more so than Maui, and Maui more so than Oahu. But I don't think you will find a huge gulf between them in terms of most aspects of living in Hawaii. Happy hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii