Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:50 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,175,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
the whole state is one school district, but it's divided into complex areas overseen by local superintendents, and then further into individual complexes. Kaua'i has only one complex area, the rest have two or more. The complex area on Maui that includes Hana also includes Moloka'i and Lana'i (the islands).

I would also indicate that you are coming down together and both looking for jobs. I would definitely contact all schools in which you have an interest. You may not/will not hear from every one of them, and some have less turnover (meaning no job openings). Personalize it to the area/school.

Re: subbing: if you are willing to drive to various schools in N Kona and Waimea areas, you will have better chances, for sure. Teachers generally ask the subs they like to sub before putting it into the system, in order to ensure it is picked up by their first choice (you ask, they say yes, you put it into the system and indicate the sub has already taken the job). That leaves the open jobs as fewer on the online system. Popular subs get the most jobs. It will likely take a bit to become a choice sub, but there are teachers who just put jobs in and don't care who picks up. Follow the plans, leave a nice note that gives the teacher info about what happened, leave your name and contact information, and you will likely get called if the teacher liked it. Hopefully you will get a job and you will have a steady teaching income.

Not a ton of public K-8 schools in the area you are looking, so I'd hate to limit yourself only to those situations, although there are many with the elementary and middle in very close proximity. You didn't mention (or at least I don't remember reading), but I'm assuming you'd also be interested in Waikoloa schools? In between Waimea and Kealakehe, distance-wise.
Thanks. It's been awhile. When I lived each island was independent yet included. So all of Maui fell under same super.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 10:50 PM

114 posts, read 148,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
If I'm not mistaken the whole island is a district. I'm in my tenth year and I don't think there is s problem emailing multiple principals. We introduced ourselves in email as teaching couple.

Hi. Our names are x and y. We are a teaching couple. Then a little more detail.
When I interviewed I was asked what would keep me from taking job. My answer was no job offer for my spouse.

I personally wouldn't recommend one income.
Yes, we are hoping for two incomes but are also trying to be flexible with one of us being hired & the other one of us subbing until we find a full-time position. However, there's only so much that we can plan before we just have to wing it.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post

I would also indicate that you are coming down together and both looking for jobs. I would definitely contact all schools in which you have an interest. You may not/will not hear from every one of them, and some have less turnover (meaning no job openings). Personalize it to the area/school.

Re: subbing: if you are willing to drive to various schools in N Kona and Waimea areas, you will have better chances, for sure. Teachers generally ask the subs they like to sub before putting it into the system, in order to ensure it is picked up by their first choice (you ask, they say yes, you put it into the system and indicate the sub has already taken the job). That leaves the open jobs as fewer on the online system. Popular subs get the most jobs. It will likely take a bit to become a choice sub, but there are teachers who just put jobs in and don't care who picks up. Follow the plans, leave a nice note that gives the teacher info about what happened, leave your name and contact information, and you will likely get called if the teacher liked it. Hopefully you will get a job and you will have a steady teaching income.

Not a ton of public K-8 schools in the area you are looking, so I'd hate to limit yourself only to those situations, although there are many with the elementary and middle in very close proximity. You didn't mention (or at least I don't remember reading), but I'm assuming you'd also be interested in Waikoloa schools? In between Waimea and Kealakehe, distance-wise.
Yes, we are going to prioritize schools that have elementary & middle/high close by, as well as k-8 buildings. We also think the Hamakua area is beautiful but it seems like most of the schools there (other than the ones close to Waimea which we are already considering) are in Hilo & I don't think we're interested in being in Hilo unless its very north Hilo (in which case it might not even be Hilo at that point...) We are absolutely interested in Waikoloa.

I've been bookmarking schools to apply to & so far we have: Waikoloa, Kohala & Kealakehe (as well as Waimea Elementary for him).

When emailing K-8 buildings, should we email together? Like both of us in one email? Or should we send separate emails that reference each other? I'm thinking the latter (so we aren't viewed as an amalgam).

Old 01-02-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
Yes, we are going to prioritize schools that have elementary & middle/high close by, as well as k-8 buildings. We also think the Hamakua area is beautiful but it seems like most of the schools there (other than the ones close to Waimea which we are already considering) are in Hilo & I don't think we're interested in being in Hilo unless its very north Hilo (in which case it might not even be Hilo at that point...) We are absolutely interested in Waikoloa.

I've been bookmarking schools to apply to & so far we have: Waikoloa, Kohala & Kealakehe (as well as Waimea Elementary for him).

When emailing K-8 buildings, should we email together? Like both of us in one email? Or should we send separate emails that reference each other? I'm thinking the latter (so we aren't viewed as an amalgam).
If it's one principal send one email. Attach both resumes or cover letters.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:22 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Honokaa is an elementary/high school, too. Laupahoehoe might be interesting, it's got a really small student body and a lovely school building. I think they've gone to charter, but it's within easy commute from Honokaa/Waimea. Pauuilo school, too, although they're just elementary, I think.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions! I've been compiling a list & so far this is what I'm checking out. My boyfriend will be checking out any Elementary counterparts to these schools. Anything you guys know about these particular schools would be greatly appreciated! Also, any differences between teaching public & charter or private? I've only taught public & think I want to stay public, but am open.

Public:
--Honokaa H&I
--Kohala High
--Kohala Middle
--Waikola E&M
--Kealakehe High (bit far away... near Kailua-Kona)
--Kealakehe Intermediate (bit far away... near Kailua-Kona)

Private/Charter:
--Laupahoehoe K-12 (near North Hilo)
--Pauuilo (south of Honokaa)
--Waimea Middle Public Conversion Charter School (6-8)

Old 01-02-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all the suggestions! I've been compiling a list & so far this is what I'm checking out. My boyfriend will be checking out any Elementary counterparts to these schools. Anything you guys know about these particular schools would be greatly appreciated! Also, any differences between teaching public & charter or private? I've only taught public & think I want to stay public, but am open.

Public:
--Honokaa H&I
--Kohala High
--Kohala Middle
--Waikola E&M
--Kealakehe High (bit far away... near Kailua-Kona)
--Kealakehe Intermediate (bit far away... near Kailua-Kona)

Private/Charter:
--Laupahoehoe K-12 (near North Hilo)
--Pauuilo (south of Honokaa)
--Waimea Middle Public Conversion Charter School (6-8)
Typically private school pay is significantly worse than public.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Typically private school pay is significantly worse than public.
Really? For some reason I assumed it would be higher but obviously lacking in the "security" factor of tenure. Then again, I've never really considered teaching private so I don't know a lot about it. I'd prefer to be in a public school & I'm hoping Kohala or Honokaa are interested! Of course Waimea & Waikoloa seems ideal but those are great too.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:27 PM

473 posts, read 797,575 times
Quote:
Really? For some reason I assumed it would be higher but obviously lacking in the "security" factor of tenure. Then again, I've never really considered teaching private so I don't know a lot about it. I'd prefer to be in a public school & I'm hoping Kohala or Honokaa are interested! Of course Waimea & Waikoloa seems ideal but those are great too.
I think that is pretty normal nationwide for private schools to pay less. The trade off is some prefer the work environment of a private school versus public.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
I think that is pretty normal nationwide for private schools to pay less. The trade off is some prefer the work environment of a private school versus public.
Yeah I can see that perspective as well-- perhaps more space with curriculum & not having to adhere to the same policies that make public education difficult at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii