Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 03:04 PM

114 posts, read 148,988 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! After lurking on these forums for the past year & absorbing as much information as possible, I thought I’d post one of my own.

To start, we are aware of many of the problems Hawaii faces, such as high cost of living, job availability, challenging teaching environment, & that moving to Hawaii is going to be an intense life-changing process. In other words, we are aware that it isn’t all sunshine & rainbows. With that said, we are hardworking, optimistic people who feel that this is the right choice.

A little background information: I am currently teaching in New York. My boyfriend is a certified Elementary & Special Education teacher 1-6. We are currently in the process of applying for our provisional Hawaiian certification. Because of the district-wide education system, we are trying to narrow down which islands to apply to. Currently, we are considering Maui and the Big Island & leaning towards Maui. Oahu seems a bit hectic and city-centered from what I’ve read, but if I am mistaken, I’d love to know more.

We prefer a laid-back nature-centered lifestyle, but we also don’t want to be isolated (hence our apprehension with Big Island.) We don’t really like cities—it’s fun to visit once in awhile, but we don’t want to live in the center of traffic/noise/bustle. At the same time, we don’t want to live miles and miles away from anything but a waterfall. We love swimming and snorkeling and would love to be near a beach that is relatively calm. However, we are also open to being a bit inland (because of price & also weather). Weather-wise, we prefer a slightly cooler/wetter climate that stays out of the 90s when possible. Both of us are coming from Western NY (dreary, snowy, icy, very cold very often) & don’t do well in humid 95 degree weather. 70s & 80’s is great & fine.

We are vegan and health-conscious so access to farmers markets and (relatively) cheap produce is a priority for us— we are aware of the price difference because of importing from the mainland but we want to eat locally whenever possible. We also would like to be around some like minded people— we are open to making friends with all kinds of backgrounds, but it would be nice to have some vegan food options when going out to eat. We aren’t big partiers, so bars & such aren’t a priority, but we would like to be around young professionals in their 20s & want to make friends and be social. We aren’t smokers & would prefer not to hang out with those who smoke excessively.

We want to be able to garden & would like to live in a studio or one-bedroom apartment that sits on a small piece of land, if possible. Of course, that may be something we work towards. In the meantime, we can settle & live well below our means. We are looking into Paia, Maui, Northern Upcountry, Maui & Hilo on the Big Island. Of course, where we live will depend on if (where!) we get hired. We are hoping to come this summer (2016) to visit & tour around a bit, as well as hopefully interview for positions & are researching places to stay short-term. I’m a planner, but it is difficult to plan anything without a job secured & I am under the impression that all education hiring is done on-island & that mainland hires are not taken seriously because of people who come on a whim; I’d like to get whatever is plannable planned. In the meantime, any suggestions or advice about what places suit our lifestyle or tips for teachers would be wonderful!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-10-2018 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: Removed identifying information at OP request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 08:53 PM

10,642 posts, read 7,852,000 times
You're on target so far with those two.

It may be necessary to broaden the search a bit, given the job opportunities that come up, if you want to avoid a lengthy commute.
Keaau and Pahoa on the Big Island are worthy of consideration, I believe. Though mostly rural in nature, there's a plentiful population of younger, working class people to be found in Puna. Also, it's not too far from Hilo.
You may also want to look at the Waimea area on the Big Island.

The only real city in the islands is Honolulu, so if you occasionally want what only a big community can offer, maybe look at some areas on Oahu. I've never been to Kaneohe, but it sounds pretty good. Windward, so cooler with more rainfall, plus nice beaches.

Wailuku and Kahului on Maui might be OK too.
I always thought that the Iao valley would be a cool place to live. In the jungle, but just minutes from the urban center of Maui.

Anywhere you land, I think you will find plenty of people with similar life style interests.
Good luck with your search.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:50 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,608,751 times
Puna is rural in nature but has just as many people as Hilo, the largest town on island. Most everyone has a yard/garden, and real estate is cheap. (we do have a volcano). Check out the Charter schools on the island, there are 2 in Pahoa.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Keaau and Pahoa on the Big Island are worthy of consideration, I believe. Though mostly rural in nature, there's a plentiful population of younger, working class people to be found in Puna. Also, it's not too far from Hilo.
You may also want to look at the Waimea area on the Big Island.

The only real city in the islands is Honolulu, so if you occasionally want what only a big community can offer, maybe look at some areas on Oahu. I've never been to Kaneohe, but it sounds pretty good. Windward, so cooler with more rainfall, plus nice beaches.

Wailuku and Kahului on Maui might be OK too.
I always thought that the Iao valley would be a cool place to live. In the jungle, but just minutes from the urban center of Maui.
Thanks for the insight!

We're open to a broad search but are still figuring out which places we should't look into. Do you feel that there are places that really don't fit with my description? I was under the impression that upcountry Maui might have a similar lifestyle to Hilo on the Big Island... is that correct? I'm also concerned that Hilo (& other places on that side of the Big Island) doesn't have nice beaches. I'd like to swim fairly often so a beach that isn't rocky is a priority.

For the cooler/more humid parts... is the humidity nice, or is it a stiflingly hot peeling-my-clothes-off-my-skin humidity?

Old 12-08-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Puna is rural in nature but has just as many people as Hilo, the largest town on island. Most everyone has a yard/garden, and real estate is cheap. (we do have a volcano). Check out the Charter schools on the island, there are 2 in Pahoa.
The volcano thing is a bit worrying...real estate (or anything) being inexpensive on Hawaii feels like it's too good to be true & in this case, I think it is. Is the rain in Hilo unmanageable? I read that it rains 275/365 day of the year-- that seems like a lot.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:58 AM

10,642 posts, read 7,852,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
The volcano thing is a bit worrying...real estate (or anything) being inexpensive on Hawaii feels like it's too good to be true & in this case, I think it is. Is the rain in Hilo unmanageable? I read that it rains 275/365 day of the year-- that seems like a lot.
The district is divided into volcano hazard zones, indicating the relative likeliness of lava flows. Pretty much all of Puna and Hilo are in zones 1 through 3. I would (and did) avoid zones 1 and 2, but of course it's all a "crap shoot".
Just a bit north of Hilo, heading up the Hamakua coast, the volcano hazard is practically nil because the dormant volcano Mauna Kea blocks flows from active volcano Mauna Loa. Mauna Loa is the scary one, from my perspective. It almost reached Hilo in the 80s. Kilauea is the active volcano that's threatening most of Puna.

Regarding the rain, yes I think it's manageable. But then, I'm from a part of Alaska that sees a lot more cloud cover and frequent rains than even Hilo. Occasionally you can get some incessant rain stretches. I've measured 60 inches in one month a couple times, and an inch or two a day for two week spells is not uncommon.

More common though, are occasional showers throughout the day, or just night time and early morning trade showers. So, the stats for the day may show it rained 3/4 of an inch, but in fact it was partly cloudy for 99% of the day.

IMO, it's usually raining either too little or too much in Puna, with too little being dominant. Not lately though....

Last edited by Arktikos; 12-08-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 12-08-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
The district is divided into volcano hazard zones, indicating the relative likeliness of lava flows. Pretty much all of Puna and Hilo are in zones 1 through 3. I would (and did) avoid zones 1 and 2, but of course it's all a "crap shoot".
Just a bit north of Hilo, heading up the Hamakua coast, the volcano hazard is practically nil because the dormant volcano Mauna Kea blocks flows from active volcano Mauna Loa. Mauna Loa is the scary one, from my perspective. It almost reached Hilo in the 80s. Kilauea is the active volcano that's threatening most of Puna.
Glad to hear about the rain. Where I'm from, we get many many inches of snow, so I don't think I'd mind warm rain. North of Hilo is beginning to sound good... does zone 3 & up cost much more than zones 1-2? I assume those zone 1-2 houses/apartments are what people reference when talking about how the Big Island is cheaper than Maui & other islands. I know Hawaii in general is expensive, so I don't expect to be living in the lap of luxury on (hopefully) two teacher salaries--trying to have realistic expectations.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:52 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,565,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
Thanks for the insight!

We're open to a broad search but are still figuring out which places we should't look into. Do you feel that there are places that really don't fit with my description? I was under the impression that upcountry Maui might have a similar lifestyle to Hilo on the Big Island... is that correct? I'm also concerned that Hilo (& other places on that side of the Big Island) doesn't have nice beaches. I'd like to swim fairly often so a beach that isn't rocky is a priority.

For the cooler/more humid parts... is the humidity nice, or is it a stiflingly hot peeling-my-clothes-off-my-skin humidity?
Rent prices in upcountry Maui are exorbitantly higher than Hilo. Those 2 communities are completely different. Furthermore, unless you got a teaching job upcountry, the commute down and up Haleakala Hwy. will easily cost you $20 a day burning gas, and burning brake pads, per vehicle.
Get ready to dish out $1800 starters for an upcountry Maui studio. And don't think you can have family visit you and stay with you free, you'll pay $80 a night for an overnight guest. That's if you magically even got a place without at least 2 years residency, and beat the 100+ other applicants to even be considered for a place. Most places get rented by word of mouth, and never,ever have hit the rental market.

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. Maui isn't a place to just get here and 'check it out' You absolutely need a precise game plan, have all your ducks lined up, and even then you will need MINIMUM $100,000 CASH. And that is not for a down on a house, you will burn thru that without even earmarking it for anything specific. That's reality on Maui, finding a beach to swim on will be the last thing on your mind.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Rent prices in upcountry Maui are exorbitantly higher than Hilo. Those 2 communities are completely different. Furthermore, unless you got a teaching job upcountry, the commute down and up Haleakala Hwy. will easily cost you $20 a day burning gas, and burning brake pads, per vehicle.
Get ready to dish out $1800 starters for an upcountry Maui studio. And don't think you can have family visit you and stay with you free, you'll pay $80 a night for an overnight guest. That's if you magically even got a place without at least 2 years residency, and beat the 100+ other applicants to even be considered for a place. Most places get rented by word of mouth, and never,ever have hit the rental market.

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. Maui isn't a place to just get here and 'check it out' You absolutely need a precise game plan, have all your ducks lined up, and even then you will need MINIMUM $100,000 CASH. And that is not for a down on a house, you will burn thru that without even earmarking it for anything specific. That's reality on Maui, finding a beach to swim on will be the last thing on your mind.
Thank you for the perspective! I appreciate realism the more I learn, the better choices I can make regarding this move. I'd still like to be relatively close to a nice beach-- & by nice, I mean not rocky or insanely crowded, since I am going to be in Hawaii & being in the water is a part of why I desire to live there. I'm leaning towards Hilo/Puna, but am concerned about volcanic activity. I'm interested in Kona as well-- but I've heard Kona is much much more expensive & touristy. Would you say the Big Island (particularly Hilo/Puna) is more inexpensive/easier to find reasonable housing on than Maui? I know nothing in Hawaii is truly inexpensive, but in comparison?

Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,095,275 times
Waimea on the Big Island may work for you. Cooler temperatures yet an easy drive to the nice sandy beaches. DOE schools, charter schools as well as Hawaii Prep. Lots of other upper level educated folks what with the observatory and medical personnel in the area. Housing is a bit more expensive than Puna, but should be quite manageable on a two teacher household income. With the right house and lifestyle, it's even manageable on a one teacher salary. It's cheaper than Maui. Lots of farmer's markets for fresh veggies as well as KTA & Foodland (the local grocery store chains) for fresh veggies, too.

We're in the next town over, Honokaa, which may also work for you, too. Similar to Waimea although a bit less expensive, smaller and a bit more rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii