Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 06:38 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
I'm sorry of course this is my issue alone. It's just every time I hear bashing of anything local or Native Hawaiian my neck muscles tighten because often I envision a outsider trying to give me there religion or trying to say there ways from where they come from are better then enveryone else's because we need to enlighten the unenlighten. I know I need to work in this.
Facts are facts and numbers never lie..... I'm just glad I avoided the publics on Oahu, what a joke they are.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:55 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Facts are facts and numbers never lie..... I'm just glad I avoided the publics on Oahu, what a joke they are.
Numbers may not lie, but the interpretation of those 'numbers' can become fairly loose at times.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Wow - no wonder they need a lot of substitutes. Shocking (not really)

Report: Teacher absenteeism a widespread problem in Hawaii - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

"Education Week reported that 75 percent of Hawaii's teachers are out of school more than ten days each year, or about three times the national average.

"Teachers here are given 18 days a school year for sick leave and may convert up to 6 of those for personal or professional leave."

"Experts say education suffers when teachers are out for even a week of school days."

"You can measure learning loss when a teacher is out of the classroom for as little as five days a year," said Kate Walsh, president for the National Council for Teacher Quality."

Old 06-28-2016, 09:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
I was surprised when I discovered teachers here get 18 sick days per year. Toward the end of my career in California we finally got an eleventh sick day per year. I retired with 200+ sick days left over and get extra retirement for them. Meanwhile, 18 is exactly 10% of the school year. No doubt those extra days were given instead of pay increases and a vicious cycle was created. Teachers can't live on the crappy pay here so they take days off to work at other jobs. The State needs to buy back some of those sick days with pay increases to keep teachers in the classrooms. I'm not sure it would lead to higher test scores (a different can of worms) but it would reduce the use of sick time.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:45 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Unless you are a coal miner or deal with toxic waste 18 sick days is ridiculous.

Go to a PTO plan DOE (although 2 months off in Summer seems like a good deal).

Old 06-29-2016, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 9,380 times
This topic is kinda odd. It shows the lack of consistency in doctrine by those who are making decisions for our island home, ohanas and keiki. Big money isn't here on the islands to better us folks. I agree the current public school system is a joke here for so many reasons besides the lack of general desire for a good education by its students. Its a joke because the same people who complain about the quality of education in public schools don't want to pay a reasonable wage for our teachers. These people complain about waste, corruption in the education system and in response, today and in the recent past the DOE has closed schools to save money even against the wishes of communities or for values outside of saving money.

What i hate about this issue is the hypocrisy of it. When has wasteful spending or the ideal of saving money ever been an issue on our island home when it comes to big money development or progress? Wish we had the same "progress" attitude for our keiki as we do for seeing HART happen.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:41 PM

788 posts, read 512,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiAtHeart View Post
This topic is kinda odd. It shows the lack of consistency in doctrine by those who are making decisions for our island home, ohanas and keiki. Big money isn't here on the islands to better us folks. I agree the current public school system is a joke here for so many reasons besides the lack of general desire for a good education by its students. Its a joke because the same people who complain about the quality of education in public schools don't want to pay a reasonable wage for our teachers. These people complain about waste, corruption in the education system and in response, today and in the recent past the DOE has closed schools to save money even against the wishes of communities or for values outside of saving money.

What i hate about this issue is the hypocrisy of it. When has wasteful spending or the ideal of saving money ever been an issue on our island home when it comes to big money development or progress? Wish we had the same "progress" attitude for our keiki as we do for seeing HART happen.
I suspect you could increase education by 50 or 100%, and the quality of the result wouldn't improve appreciably. It is speculation, obviously, but that is MHO.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:20 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiAtHeart View Post

Aloha HBH! How are things on the left coast?

Old 06-29-2016, 11:35 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Aloha HBH! How are things on the left coast?
Is that really necessary? People can change the way they communicate. I think it's time to move on.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 PM

182 posts, read 356,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
ACT/SAT scores can make or break you getting into a good school or a bad school. It is also a measurement against your peers. So what that means is Hawaii students don't stack up against their peers - it is what it is.
ACT/SAT scores are around the 4th thing colleges look at when evaluating applications. They first look at your class standing - are you in the top 10% 5% 1%?

Next, they look at what classes you have taken and how you did in them. Lots of honors and AP classes? Good. You might have a 4.0 GPA, but if all you've taken are regular classes, or band or drama, or took AP classes but did poorly, you're not going to stack up well against those who did take the harder classes and did well. They also look at if you took the AP exams and if you passed.

Next up is the essay. What does it say about you? Can you clearly express why So-And-So College would be a good match for you? What will you bring to the college?

And now they look at your test scores. Usually the higher scores correlate well with the above factors, and if two applicants are evenly matched, they might take the one with the higher test scores. But not necessarily. All test scores show is what you know on one day.

After this typically come the extra-curricular activities. Colleges are looking for focus, not a laundry list of every club possible, and they're looking for leadership positions (club officer, team captain or co-captain).

Then of course each college is trying to create a good "mix" of students. Or they might need more students who are interested in majoring in Russian or some other subject. It's very subjective and differs from college to college. And a student from Hawai'i may be more desirable in the mix than yet another student from Florida or Ohio or Connecticut, even if those other students have higher test scores.

People have gotten all wrapped up in test scores as the be-all to end-all. They're not; rather they're just one part of the package. And colleges know about the school you're coming from - they know whether it's a prestigious private school or a competitive public school or a low-income urban school or a small rural school and evaluate your application and transcript accordingly. An application from Punahou or Iolani is evaluated differently than one coming from a high school on Kaua'i or the Big Island. The private school student isn't necessarily going to get the nod over the public school student.

People who drop their kids off at school and expect the school to teach their kids EVERYTHING are in for a rude surprise. It can't be done - students who succeed, whether in public or private school, get a lot of help and support at home, from elementary through high school. Their parents have high expectations for their children and help them succeed - they don't expect the school to do it all, and they don't rely on the school's reputation to take care of things. They know when their children need extra help, they encourage their children to work harder and be challenged rather than going for the easy A. They help their children focus their interests rather than trying to have them doing everything.

Lots of kids from Hawai'i go to "good" colleges. But "good" schools are hard for all students to get into, and are unaffordable for all except the 1%, no matter where they're from or which high school they went to or what their test scores are. Lots more students here (and their parents) prefer to stay close to home, or go to an affordable school, or one on the west coast when they're choosing a college, just like other kids all over the U.S. prefer to in-state or choose a school closer to home or one that's more affordable. And, college isn't for everyone anyway; there's nothing wrong with pursuing a vocational career, or choosing to delay college for one to a few years.

Last edited by ChezAloha; 07-06-2016 at 12:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii