Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times

Advertisements

I think you would adapt well if...you can't string a complete sentence together and have no problem with a community of individuals who are unable to as well or...A. Can speak English but pretend not to...B. Have no goals other than to make life hell for those of a 'lighter hue'...C. Live for violence...there ya go...that's my take on whether or not you could adapt... after 7 years, I couldn't. I tried but I truly needed to have a civilized conversation with someone other than my dog.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 09:18 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
I feel your bile rising. Sorry you feel that way, but I've been here for most of the time since 1989. I can understand Pidgin quite well, but seldom speak it. I'm not sure about the second statement ,maybe you're thin skinned? Violence is everywhere.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I think you would adapt well if...you can't string a complete sentence together and have no problem with a community of individuals who are unable to as well or...A. Can speak English but pretend not to...B. Have no goals other than to make life hell for those of a 'lighter hue'...C. Live for violence...there ya go...that's my take on whether or not you could adapt... after 7 years, I couldn't. I tried but I truly needed to have a civilized conversation with someone other than my dog.
Koale
I'm just curious -- where did you live? Who was in your circle of acquaintances and friends?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
I feel your bile rising. Sorry you feel that way, but I've been here for most of the time since 1989. I can understand Pidgin quite well, but seldom speak it. I'm not sure about the second statement ,maybe you're thin skinned? Violence is everywhere.
OK, so that lead to an interesting thought. How bad is crime in Hawaii. I happened to check one site that gives a rating scale of 1 to 100 with 100 being the safest and Honolulu is sitting at 7. What is up with that? I had not even considered crime on the Islands. Are their safer cities in the state?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How bad is crime in Hawaii. I happened to check one site that gives a rating scale of 1 to 100 with 100 being the safest and Honolulu is sitting at 7. What is up with that? I had not even considered crime on the Islands.
Which site is that?

We are on a multi-year run of record tourism, with most of them on Oahu - if it wasn't safe, they wouldn't flock here.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Which site is that?

We are on a multi-year run of record tourism, with most of them on Oahu - if it wasn't safe, they wouldn't flock here.
City Data has a thing about posting competing sites. I am not sure if Neighborhood Scout is a competing site but the site gave Honolulu a low score of 7. To compare where I live in California we have a 35, with the higher number the better number. Now I don't know of anyone that is heading over to Hawaii because they want to visit Honolulu. I can think of a lot of other places in Hawaii that I would want to visit.

I also understand that things may have changed and I have no idea where they are getting the information from.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
City Data has a thing about posting competing sites. I am not sure if Neighborhood Scout is a competing site but the site gave Honolulu a low score of 7. To compare where I live in California we have a 35, with the higher number the better number. Now I don't know of anyone that is heading over to Hawaii because they want to visit Honolulu. I can think of a lot of other places in Hawaii that I would want to visit.

I also understand that things may have changed and I have no idea where they are getting the information from.
Oxnard gets a 35 and Honolulu a 7? Oxnard should get a 7 on the name alone. Something's amiss with their data.

Aloh,,,, uuuurrrrppp, scuze me, la.

Maybe they collect their Hawaii data in Honolulu, and assess it here on Maui, waayyyy out in Haiku, that would explain a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS1vBb4AAZQ

Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
OK, so that lead to an interesting thought. How bad is crime in Hawaii. I happened to check one site that gives a rating scale of 1 to 100 with 100 being the safest and Honolulu is sitting at 7. What is up with that? I had not even considered crime on the Islands. Are their safer cities in the state?

That does not sound right. Hawaii has a lot of theft, but no much random violence (most violence is between parties who know each other).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Oxnard gets a 35 and Honolulu a 7? Oxnard should get a 7 on the name alone. Something's amiss with their data.
Everyone always picking on the name of my city. LOL, Its all good, Johnny Carson did it all the time on his show. Larry Hagmen did it every so often as well, but then that would have been local news since he drove and flew past often when he was traveling between homes in Ojai and Malibu.

For years Oxnard had a bad rep as a gang infested city and that changed over the years. The past few years had seen the city jump up in the running to at one point 17th safest city in the nation for cities of over 200,000. I am not so sure we are still at that level of safety anymore, also the majority of crime is found in lower income areas that still have a gang affiliation. I understand when people say a city has a lot of crime and that crime is contained in specific areas of the city. I doubt that anyone wants to lose the tourist money.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Now I don't know of anyone that is heading over to Hawaii because they want to visit Honolulu. I can think of a lot of other places in Hawaii that I would want to visit.
Most visit Honolulu. In 2015, 8.5 million people visited Hawaii. Of those, 5.3 million visited Oahu (and 4 million of those never left Oahu) versus the next highest visited, Maui- which had 2.5 million visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii