U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 03:55 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,825,938 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of integrating some Spam recipes into my diet. I remember eating Spam as a kid but haven't eaten it in years.

First, is the low-fat Spam "lite" worth eating? It seems that the traditional Spam is so "fatty" or is that just my perception?

I've wanted to make spam musubi for some time now if I can get the hang of the vinegar rice preparation.

Can anybody give me some easy Hawaiian recipes to try that have Spam as an ingredient?

TIA!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 04:24 PM

850 posts, read 4,129,275 times
Spam, History of Spam, Spam Musubi Recipe, History of Spam Musubi

when i owned my local/japanese take out restaurant, we didn't flavor the rice like for sushi. we used a "teri" style recipe for the spam. fried it all up until it carmelized. placed it on the rice and wrapped with nori. we also did it by rolling the rice in furikake first then placed the spam on top and then the nori.

local recipe: spam and cabbage cut into bite size pieces. add a little shoyu and water and cook until cabbage is softened and spam is heated through. spam and onions with tomato sauce. same preparation as the first recipe. but, add the tomato sauce and water. no shoyu.

um. why do you want to add SPAM to your diet? too much fat, 'rocco.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:01 PM

In simple terms: it is making my mouth water!

You know what really made me crave spam? ...I was watching the TV show on the Food Network called Diners, Drive-ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. He was doing a bit on a Hawaiian "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant somewhere in Washington state. A guy from Molokaii opened this place where he served traditional Hawaiian favorites. They showed him making Spam musubi, "the Hawaiian hamburger" as Guy put it, and it looked SO good!

I've been craving it ever since.

Spam seems so inexpensive and simple to prepare so I thought I'd do a few dishes ...IF, the low-fat "lite" Spam is acceptable. Yeah, I'm sure the regular, traditional variety IS too fatty ...and salty; especially when a lot of the dishes call for shoyu.

I thought maybe I'd try your suggestions, kani, but you really think it's too unhealthy to be worth it, though?

Thanks so much for the links and the recipes. I don't know ...it still sounds so good for some odd reason.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:12 PM

love guy's shows!!! 'rocco, let's put it this way, your doctor, heart and arteries won't thank you! if you really need a SPAM fix, do the musubi recipe. or maybe fry it up and have it with eggs for breakfast. people even do a spam/egg musubi. how do you mainlanders serve it up? you don't have to do the "teri" style either. just do it plain on the rice with the nori.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:30 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,676 posts, read 6,820,055 times
When I was a kid, the only thing my dad knew how to cook was Spam, open the can, slice em up, put em in the fry pan, done deal. Now I think I have to go get some, and some Hanalei Poi, Lomi Salmon, bit Tako Poki, yep, I'm outta here....Thanks for the temptation........

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Oh Jungjohann, now I'm craving Lomi salmon. I never did understand what you folks see in poi, though. And what's tako poki?

What I remember Spam from as a kid was taking it on hiking trips with the boy scouts. We used to fry it with potatoes over an open fire or smash it all up with scrambled eggs in the morning for breakfast. One dad even used to make a hash out of it by dicing it finely with diced potatoes and onions.

So my favorites of a nice, greasy loco moco and a few cans of Spam with rice and nori are not going to be too kind on my heart and arteries let alone my blood pressure, right? I might as well indulge in your other Island favorite of slow-roasted tourist over an open pit. Do you baste these unfortunate morsels with shoyu and ginger?

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-09-2008 at 10:14 PM..

Old 02-09-2008, 08:59 PM

tako poke is poke with octopus instead of some sort of other protein. i.e. tofu, ahi or crab. POI! POI! POI! you either love it or leave it. i can eat the whole bag myself. yum. "mama's in the kitchen cooking dinna real nice, beef stew on da stove, lomi salmon on da ice. we eat an we drink an we sing all day, kanikapila in da 'ole hawaiian way. on de island, we do it island style, from da mountain to da ocean, from da windward to da leeward side. go gramma's house on da weeken clean yahd cuz, if we no go gramma gotta work hahd. you know my gramma she like da POI real sowah, i love my gramma evry minute evry owah......"

actually, the campfire SPAM recipes sound pretty good. and, the "teri" style slow-roasted tourist? well, i'll pass on that and the loco moco, too! if you really must have "teri" anything, don't forget to add sugar, sherry, garlic and green onions to 'rocco's recipe. eh, sometimes i substitute scotch instead of the sherry. a little sip on the side makes it taste even better! oh, and, some people add mirin to the recipe.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:13 PM

Oh, I'm up for tako poke, then! I love octopus! Isn't there a good Japanese dish with miso and taco? For some reason that sticks in my mind as being so good.

Your teri sauce sounds good, kani. Can you bottle some up and send it to me?

I tried to make some teri marinade once and used honey instead of sugar and it turned out pretty good. Somebody told me to use maple syrup with shoyu, ginger, garlic, and mirin. I haven't tried that one yet.

So what part of the tourist is most tender and flavorful?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:40 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,553,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Da wallet.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Oh, I'm up for tako poke, then! I love octopus! Isn't there a good Japanese dish with miso and taco? For some reason that sticks in my mind as being so good.

Your teri sauce sounds good, kani. Can you bottle some up and send it to me?

I tried to make some teri marinade once and used honey instead of sugar and it turned out pretty good. Somebody told me to use maple syrup with shoyu, ginger, garlic, and mirin. I haven't tried that one yet.

miso sauce for sald dressing or tako: 2tbsp miso 2tsp sugar 2tsp vinegar 1tsp peanut butter 1tsp water. yum!

sorry, no can do on sending the bottled teri sauce. yes, i've heard of substituting the sugar with honey. maple syrup? i don't know?!

the most tender part of the tourists is their? don't want to go there. so will agree with hank. the most flavorful? well, i'll have to think on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii