Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:32 PM

151 posts, read 195,183 times

Advertisements

The HI protestors r offshoots of Black Lives Matter. Grubby, smelly, people paid to protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 01:19 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaWeenie View Post
The HI protestors r offshoots of Black Lives Matter. Grubby, smelly, people paid to protest.

Well they seem to be growing in numbers every day.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:21 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaWeenie View Post

They pay no one; they come with their blood, and their passion, for a wrong that was done to the Kingdom of Hawaii.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:02 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
I'm not sure if protesting telescopes is true to the essence and spirit of Hawaii, though. The Kingdom of Hawaii was a very progressive place and the people were very good navigators and very interested in stars. Iolani Palace had electricity long before the White House. At one point, under the Hawaiian Kings, Hawaii had effectively 100% literacy. I can't imagine that a progressive and forward looking people would not want telescopes. I'd think that if Kamehameha was given a chance at a telescope he'd take it over for himself, not try to get rid of it. Look what Kamehameha did with cannon, it may have been better if he'd had a telescope instead. I'm surprised they don't ask for some telescope time in exchange for letting them be built there.

Personally, I don't think it's the telescope or even the mountain itself that folks are getting upset about, it's more of a symbol for upset about the takeover of the Hawaiian kingdom. Which was more of a mishmash than a takeover, really, from what I understand. When the merchants in Honolulu got the military ship in the harbor to take over the palace, Lilioukalani wrote a letter of protest to Washington asking them to make their soldiers behave. I mean, really! Don't write a letter, boot the buggas out! But, I wasn't there so I don't really know. But generally a sovereign nation can protect itself, can't it? And Kamehameha took over by force so maybe that's what was usual then or something. But, I wasn't there, so I don't know.

Some folks have conjectured that it was a takeover because Lilioukalani was trying to reassert some of the rights of the crown that Kalakaua had given away to the merchant people during his reign. I don't know what the dynamics of the situation were, but it would take more than one military ship to take over the Hawaiian Kingdom so someone other than that one ship must have wanted it to happen. Some folks say Lilioukalani told everyone not to fight since she didn't want anyone to get hurt. I also don't know what else was going on at that time, either, there may or may not have been a smallpox epidemic or something. It was also a time of upset in Washington, DC since a president had just been shot or some such, I think. Well, old history and getting older by the minute.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:56 PM

35 posts, read 48,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
See other thread where woman JUST moved her 4 days ago, and got a job.
Well, in that case I suppose their is no nepotism in Hawaii then :/

Old 05-10-2016, 05:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP_Since_79 View Post
Well, in that case I suppose their is no nepotism in Hawaii then :/
There is nepotism everywhere, and yes, probably more so in Hawaii. In a society where you know a lot of people, you want to continue that where you can.

Nepotism isn't bad as long as the person meets the quals and is a good employee.

In 15 years I never turned in a resume despite changing jobs every 3-5 years. People who worked with me, wanted to hire me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-10-2016, 07:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nepotism isn't bad as long as the person meets the quals and is a good employee.
This is probably the not so good kind:

Ahakuelo, 55, was the business manager and financial secretary for Local 1260, representing more than 3,200 electrical workers. He was placed on administrative leave Friday, pending an investigation into the union’s finances.

Ahakuelo earned $201,712 in 2015, while his wife Marilyn, director of community services, was paid $105,119, according to the union’s most recent annual financial report filed with the U.S. Department of Labor. Ahakuelo’s son, Brandon, the union’s chief of staff, was paid $143,274. Executive assistant Neiani Ahakuelo, Brian’s daughter-in-law, received $77,656, the filing shows.

IBEW Local 1260 leader retires amid investigation into finances | Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
LOL. I was just reading that. Yeah, that's the bad kind.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-13-2016, 02:22 PM

102 posts, read 118,480 times
Another form of nepotism is cronyism. The great example is the "lightrail" The project was initially projected to cost $4.6 billion, but that number now is $6.7 billion, forcing the city in January to approve a five-year extension of a general excise tax surcharge to help cover the overrun. The train, which will take passengers from this city in western Oahu to the edge of Waikiki, is at least two years behind schedule, set for opening at the end of 2021. Recent poll numbers

Civil Beat Poll: Only 16 Percent Of Voters Feel Good About Honolulu Rail - Civil Beat News

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/21/us...ggle.html?_r=0

Its amazing how people are shocked over the price? Dont people know that this is normal form past projects like this?

Old 05-13-2016, 02:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
Another form of nepotism is cronyism.

The great example is the "lightrail" The project was initially projected to cost $4.6 billion, but that number now is $6.7 billion, forcing the city in January to approve a five-year extension of a general excise tax surcharge to help cover the overrun.
I see - do you even know what cronyism and nepotism are?

The example you gave has nothing to do with cronyism or nepotism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii