Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,113 times

Advertisements

I am a social worker with experience in working with Adults. Mostly mentally ill and some experience with the homeless population. I was reading about the homeless issues in Hawaii and wanted to know " How feasible is it to apply for a job there doing social work? " Cost of living seems to be a little much for a social worker. Not worried about making friends or dating; I am adaptable to where ever I go. I find a niche. Not sure about working for the military. Currently work for local government but to work for the local government there would be huge pay cut. Social workers on the Hawaii islands let me know what you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 11:43 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Hawaii has some very unique culturally-based problems, most companies and governments are not going to hire someone new to the area unless we develop a huge shortage in that field.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-20-2016, 12:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
If the military has an opening, go for it.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:09 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
Which island? Some are more expensive to live on than others. But it will still probably be kinda tough on a social worker's salary to get by very well. However, will an application from someone living in Balitimore score a job in Hawaii? Giving the job to someone already living in Hawaii would keep one more person from being homeless in Hawaii.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:17 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,888,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Hawaii has some very unique culturally-based problems, most companies and governments are not going to hire someone new to the area unless we develop a huge shortage in that field.

Please elaborate on what some of those culturally-based problems are.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Please elaborate on what some of those culturally-based problems are.

The fact that you are asking is a bad sign.

Are you familiar with family and customs of: Samoa, Tonga, Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese? How about the Micronesians and the federal agreement we have with their country? Which customs provide the biggest problems integrating into our way of life in Hawaii?

Can you explain some of the differences you would find with local families compared to their mainland counterparts?

Can you provide a brief explanation of the problem with amount of homeless we have in Hawaii and what you think would help. Please differentiate between homeless families and singles.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:24 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,740 times
What I see being said is you are not from here and could not understand from a standpoint of experience what our people go through.

The fact that many of our health care jobs are being dolled out to mainland, and foreign people (due to some of our larger facilities would rather pay for experienced people rather than local raw talent) is another issue.

The fact that many of the armed force's spouses score the bigger jobs due to experience, is yet another issue.

Also; the fact that if you have money, and can come over and have experience, and would take a job away from a local person with less experience, is yet another issue.

All the cultural stuff takes time to learn, but not impossible. I think that some of the replies that have been made are just a way of protecting our place.

Good luck to you...

Old 03-22-2016, 07:03 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,888,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The fact that you are asking is a bad sign.

Are you familiar with family and customs of: Samoa, Tonga, Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese? How about the Micronesians and the federal agreement we have with their country? Which customs provide the biggest problems integrating into our way of life in Hawaii?

Can you explain some of the differences you would find with local families compared to their mainland counterparts?

Can you provide a brief explanation of the problem with amount of homeless we have in Hawaii and what you think would help. Please differentiate between homeless families and singles.
I'm not sure why you would think that. I'm not looking to relocate or employment at least not so in the near future but only to better understand the dynamics.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'm not sure why you would think that. I'm not looking to relocate or employment at least not so in the near future but only to better understand the dynamics.
If I were some sort of social worker moving to AZ, and someone said there are a lot of cultural issues there.... I would understand that Indian and Hispanic cultures would be a strong influence.

To be so completely unaware of any, is a bad sign. Just sayin'.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:10 AM

688 posts, read 1,100,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Also; the fact that if you have money, and can come over and have experience, and would take a job away from a local person with less experience, is yet another issue.
Nobody is "taking a job away" from anyone. Especially not from someone with less experience. What makes this an "issue"?

Employers fill jobs with people who have the credentials and experience required. Especially in health care and related social work fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii