Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 01:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
but it will never develop like SF.
SF is great for biking - unless you live in hill areas like Pacific Heights/Nob Hill - otherwise relatively easy to ride from the ballpark - over the Golden Gate - to Sausalito - and then on to Tiburon (where one must ride to Sam's on the Waterfront for food/drinks).

Probably the best place to ride is San Diego - predictable weather - low humidity.....

So far in this thread - it would appear the only ones commuting by bike to the urban core is Pj - and 3 coworkers.....Sounds like a long way from the 10% goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 01:55 PM

48,278 posts, read 34,402,478 times
If you build it they will come...... I still think it hold merit.

I know guys who kayak to work. I wouldn't do that either.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2016, 02:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
Quote:
If you build it they will come...... I still think it hold merit.
Like rail?

Old 06-27-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Like rail?
My opinion on rail is known, but that doesn't stop me from hoping it won't be a complete mess.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:55 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,083,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
SF is great for biking - unless you live in hill areas like Pacific Heights/Nob Hill - otherwise relatively easy to ride from the ballpark - over the Golden Gate - to Sausalito - and then on to Tiburon (where one must ride to Sam's on the Waterfront for food/drinks).

Probably the best place to ride is San Diego - predictable weather - low humidity.....

So far in this thread - it would appear the only ones commuting by bike to the urban core is Pj - and 3 coworkers.....Sounds like a long way from the 10% goal.
SF is great for biking because they have ample infrastructure to provide safe places for cyclists to ride. If SF had the same weather conditions and topography as Honolulu, they would experience much greater ridership numbers.

You grossly exaggerate the humidity levels here in Honolulu. Our humidity is mild (even during the worst times of the year) compared to other places that experience higher bike ridership numbers.

We don't even make the top 100 cities (population >50,000)

//www.city-data.com/top2/c485.html

And from a state perspective, we are in the BOTTOM 5 STATES (number 47 out of 51)

U.S. Average Humidity State Rank

Both Los Angeles and San Diego are "sweatier" than Honolulu (we don't even make the list) -

Top 10 sweatiest cities in America

As a year-round average, I find the temperature here in Honolulu the best for cycling anywhere in the US. PERIOD. Nothing can even come close.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
All y'all need to dump the bicycles and cars and trucks! Buy a Harley! Win-win. Plus then you can all get a cool tat (yes pj we are all aware of your view of tats - no need to reiterate). Beer bellies are encouraged!

Plus, for the guys, you get to ride with a smokin' hot biker chick on the back. For the ladies you can either ride your own or be the smokin' hot biker chick.

YMMV
Lived here my entire life and have yet to see a single smokin' hot biker chick on the back of a Harley.

But maybe it's because they all have tats.

I kid. I kid.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I was answering as IF I lived in the core, basically on weather alone.

Of course I'm not going to commute from Ewa. Though I DO like riding recreationally here!! Flat roads and beaches close by and tons of bike lanes. /lol

I do think we should develop the ability to bike within the core, but it will never develop like SF.
Never say never. I do think it's possible to have similar infrastructure here. We just need more politicians that see the long term benefits of that particular infrastructure since it's not well-received by most of the public.

I do agree that not everyone is cut out for cycling commuting. I have a personal aversion to "helmet hair" myself (but people are working on this - http://www.hovding.com/). Even with my most rosiest and best-case projection, 9 out of 10 people in the core will not ever commute by bicycle to work. So based on the participation rate (and opinions) on this forum, that's about right.

Last edited by pj737; 06-27-2016 at 05:25 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 05:04 PM

The feel of humidity has a lot to do with the dew point also, it's a combination of those factors.

My hair requires a weatherman.

The greater the volume of the hair, the greater the general discomfort from weather humidity.

The hair don't lie.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:37 PM

959 posts, read 1,202,041 times
If the infrastructure was good enough from Waikiki to Chinatown, with safe places to park, I bet you would even see bike rental businesses for tourist use. Even getting a % of tourist cars off the road in the Urban core may open the roads a bit and open some parking spaces around town. Like at the mall, china town, ala moana beach park, etc.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
If the infrastructure was good enough from Waikiki to Chinatown, with safe places to park, I bet you would even see bike rental businesses for tourist use. Even getting a % of tourist cars off the road in the Urban core may open the roads a bit and open some parking spaces around town. Like at the mall, china town, ala moana beach park, etc.
Yup. A lot of the cyclists you see in or within a couple miles of Waikiki are Japanese tourists. Most tourists actually come from cities with massively better cycling infrastructure; they probably wonder why it's so lacking here.

If the infrastructure is realized, parking and storage options will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: