Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 AM

67 posts, read 268,653 times

Advertisements

Is VOG normally bad in Hilo and surrounding areas or is it just kona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM

77 posts, read 287,116 times
Are the tradewinds prevelant in early april?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,284,446 times
We went up to see one of the plumes last week--our first time in the Park in a while. We stayed until it was dark enough to see the glow from the lava lake at the bottom of the plume. See photo at: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/pressreleases/pr09_05_08.html (broken link)

Park website: Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
SO2 Update: NPS: Nature & ScienceĀ» Air Resources Division - Hawai`i Volcanoes NP Current Sulfur Dioxide Conditions

Here is a photo from the parking lot at the viewing area. (The road that used to take you down to the rim is closed now.)

As for predicting where/when an area will be impacted by vog....almost impossible. Generally the trades are blowing it toward the southern part of the island and then it moves up toward Kona. But a shift in the prevailing wind pattern can bring it toward Hilo for a few minutes or even a few hours at at time. If you are planning a vacation, I would suggest staying on the Hamakua coast, the upper Kohala coast (though you will likely see some haze, but a much lower concentration of the elements that make it Vog), in Hilo or along the coast in Puna. No guarantees that you won't see some Vog, but it is less likely than if you stay in Kona. Even Volcano Village seems to be OK most of the time--again, it's about the wind direction and speed.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:06 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,868,943 times
Vog goes where ever it wants and it seems to want to go everywhere.

At the health food stores they have these little ceramic teapot looking things called "neti pots". They are filled with warm salt water and used to irrigate sinuses. I think it was originally a yoga practice of some sort but it helps a lot when the vog gets everything clogged up.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 PM

137 posts, read 254,495 times
I'm practically a vog expert. And I surf and sail so I've been paying attention to the wind for about 6 years now. I lived on the B.I. for 3. Now I live in Honolulu and watch in fear whenever the winds die out.

Basically the volcano is spewing out ALOT more than it used to. When will it stop or slow? Noone knows. Could be tomorrow, could be 1000 years.

It comes out on the south east side. The trades are from the NE. They blow it to the south west of the island. So you wouldn't think the vog would make it to kona town and south kona. But Mauna Loa mountain blocks the trades from hitting the south west side of the island. So onshore convection seabreazes develop 95% of the year. These come from the south west, where the vog is. The south to central kona coast is usually smothered. Depending on the strength of the trades, light ones don't make it through the saddle between the two mountains in the north and then kohala gets a moederate amount of vog too, I would say 1/3 of the time. No trades means hilo is bad, really bad. I left, I can't imagine how anyone can live there anymore. And forget visiting, the other isalnds are usually really clear, so who goes to the BI anymore? I don't know. Now alot of the vog sits there and keeps blowing with the trades. If you fly over you can see it for a couple hundred miles in a SW line. So it's there over the water and when the trades die, southerly or SW'erly winds develop, and this is when Oahu and Maui get hit, but usually only 30-50% of how bad it is in Kona.

Kona used to be beautiful. On a clear day on the slopes of Haleakala you can see blue sky and rocky coast for miles. But most days you can't even breath.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 10-01-2008 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii