Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:54 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,824,488 times

Advertisements

I am taking a trip to Maui next week and flying in January 18th. The forecast on weather.com says it will be windy (20-35 mph winds) Thursday through Sunday. I have looked up different locations around the island on weather.com and it is basically the same thing-windy.

Accuweather is a little better as far as winds, but still is looking windy on Friday of next week.

I have heard that those forecast sites aren't accurate for Hawaii, but was wondering if this was actually true. Also, since its more than 8 days away, things could definitely change, but was wondering your experiences with those sites and what the best weather site might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
It's normally windy EVERY DAY... After noon, the trades start doing their thing, blowing from the NE. As far as long range forecasting goes, the BIGGEST storm to ever hit Maui was never even predicted, and Darby, one of last years hurricanes, was supposed to hit the Islands, but veered away. Sooo, long story short, let us know how the weather is when you get here, because, that's how it will be. To add, you can be in Hana, and be rained on ALL DAY LONG, or, you can be in Kaanapali, same day, and never see a drop....

Perhaps a drop from a,,, uuurrrpppp,,, scuze me, Mai Tai

Word of caution, watch out for those little umbrellas

Old 01-09-2017, 08:28 PM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
On Oahu it can be raining in Manoa Valley and sunny and clear at Ala Moana Park and Waikiki. Physically separated by only perhaps 2.5 miles as the tour helicopter fly's. No worries, if you get wet you usually dry off quickly...and the trade winds helps with the drying process. I know this is a fact because I line dry the laundry...rain or shine.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:15 AM

306 posts, read 336,433 times
I take it with a grain of salt. On Kauai, when I check the weather it says it's going to rain every day almost all the time. Does it? Yes..but almost only for 5 minutes and than it's blue skies for the rest of the day. Of course, weather varies drastically on the island too. South side can be completely sunny while it rains on the east side, and vice versa.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I am taking a trip to Maui next week and flying in January 18th. The forecast on weather.com says it will be windy (20-35 mph winds) Thursday through Sunday. I have looked up different locations around the island on weather.com and it is basically the same thing-windy.
Where on Maui? Some areas can be quite windy, others are rarely windy. Weather is typically quite local in the islands. That said, this is a good weather site: University of Hawaii Meteorology: Bulletins

You will need to scroll way down to find your area of Maui, as it's second to last before Big Island.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Where on Maui? Some areas can be quite windy, others are rarely windy. Weather is typically quite local in the islands. That said, this is a good weather site: University of Hawaii Meteorology: Bulletins

You will need to scroll way down to find your area of Maui, as it's second to last before Big Island.
It will be in Kihei. It says it will be windy there then when I look at other areas it says windy there also.

Thanks for that link, I will have a look.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 5,016 times
Around this time, the islands experience some cooling down, wind, rain.. I was in Maui around this time last year, intermittent rain and wind that would come and go, and then, sunshine. So, I wouldn't worry too much about weather.com would say, unless a big storm is in the radar. It's whale season, and from experience, Maui is best for whale watching January to February.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
It will be in Kihei. It says it will be windy there then when I look at other areas it says windy there also.

Thanks for that link, I will have a look.

IT'S THE TRADEWINDS!!!!! READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!!!! EVERY DAY, IT'S TRADEWINDS!!!!! Normally hitting shore Kihei side slightly after noon.

Don't be one mile, offshore of Kamaole 1 on a SUP AFTER noon.

Period.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
IT'S THE TRADEWINDS!!!!! READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!!!! EVERY DAY, IT'S TRADEWINDS!!!!! Normally hitting shore Kihei side slightly after noon.

Don't be one mile, offshore of Kamaole 1 on a SUP AFTER noon.

Period.

Thus endeth the lesson.
I know that, but many of the other days (prior to next week) only say 7-10 mph. Big difference between 20-30 mph.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I know that, but many of the other days (prior to next week) only say 7-10 mph. Big difference between 20-30 mph.
As someone who has LIVED in Kihei, for slightly over two months now, I can ASSURE you of the following. Seven to ten mph winds, in Kihei, are normally nothing more than the result of convective heating/cooling. You take a very large rock, put it into the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and the winds will follow the warmer surface. Daytime, winds rise over the mountain, Haleakala, because it's warmer than the surrounding ocean. Nighttime is the opposite, winds come down from the mountain, to fill in the void left from warmer air rising over the ocean. Trades are normally the high side of the teens EVERY DAY. With gusts into the twenties. Without those daily trades, it would be downright miserable over here.
HOWEVER, if, during your stay, it should start to blow Konas, you might want to consider investing in an umbrella.

With, or without, the,,, uurrrrpppp, scuze me, pineapple slice and cherry

But, if you want to worry about the weather, go for it

And don't forget to worry about the you know whats......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii