Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone, have a few questions about relocating to the islands from California...

My name's Miles, I'm an underwater photographer/filmmaker and am hoping to move over to the islands following graduation this winter. I don't like the pace of life on the mainland (it seems as if people say they're more relaxed than they actually are, even in Santa Barbara) and I need to be able to go out in the water a lot or I stop functioning.

I'm not worried about adjusting to the lifestyle there, I've moved every four years with my family and I prefer slowing things down, smiling a lot and the weather that Hawaii receives.

I'm twenty-one and want to be somewhere with people that I can go out on the water diving, filming, play some music, surf, drink some beers that kind of thing and when I talk to my friends out there the only info they give me is "you'll love everything here." which is promising but I want to get some thoughts on areas I may like. From what my friends have told me I wouldn't like Oahu as much as Maui because there are more buildings and city, and that Maui has a good mix of people and landscape. I thought about Country but being that the waves are 20 feet from November to February I wouldn't be able to do much diving...

I'm grateful for everything that comes in my life and I'm a really positive person, spiritual in a non-religious way and love sharing things with people. I have a small business with a friend of mine that doesn't matter where I live. I want to live in Hawaii so that I can be closer to the water and have a beautiful place to come home to from traveling on the oceans.

I know I didn't ask a specific question but I think there will be someone on here that may be able to help me out with some info on places to look into.

Thanks those of you who read this

Miles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Start by reading this thread, along with the many links to other, pertinent threads:

Hawaii : City by City / Island by Island & Answers to Your Relocation Questions

Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
It sounds like you might like the Puna district, although it has more of "water access areas" than beaches. But you'd be in the water instead of on the beach and there's probably more to see in sandy/rocky areas than just sand areas. The Puna area is less expensive to live in than Maui, too. Hilo has a dive shop or two and there's a group of folks who get together and go diving on Sundays. I think they are on the PunaWeb forum.

How about traveling around the islands for a bit first then decide where to settle? Your decision will be more water based than most folks.

If you left your stuff on the mainland in numbered boxes and you had the inventory list with you here, you'd be able to ask someone to send you which boxes you needed once you found the area you wanted to be in. That would save you having to mail everything before knowing what you needed as well as before you knew where to send it.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:34 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Exclamation Maui

Aloha...
You should seriously consider Maui. Total thumbs-down on Puna. Even though
the Big Island has it's positive attributes (lived there two years and personally couldn't find any) it is pretty isolated and extremely restricted as far as opportunity. Maui is happening, beaches galore and any opportunity you wish to pursue. Maui is extremely more progressive and educated as a whole. Use google maps and 'drive' around a bit. You'll like it here.
K

Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,992 times
Conventional Wisdom says that the snorkeling/diving is best on Kauai and the Big Island. Here are some underwater photos taken on Kauai:

Picasa Web Albums - sue - 2010 Kauai un...

Old 10-24-2010, 11:52 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,305,354 times
You might want to consider the Kohala coast of the Big Island. I know a few divers who seem to be pretty content with the options. Puako, Kawaihae Harbor and then, of course, drives to Kona.

Search Craigslist for rentals in Kawaihae Village (a little hot there at the lower elevation, but easy access to North Hawaii beaches), or look a little further up in Waimea/Kamuela. This area is by far my favorite part of the Big Island. Small town, but quite sophisticated...for a small town. Plus, it gets nice and cool at night, so it's a good balance to the hot, dry days at the coast.

If you want to connect with a couple of Big Island divers, Google search 'Hawaiian Sea Monkey' and 'The Right Blue' to see what others are up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii