U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2006, 02:39 PM

27 posts, read 130,366 times

Advertisements

I am interested in finding alternative ways to getmy dogs to Hawaii other than shipping them in cargo of a plane. Way too many horror stories for me to consider that. ( relative works for an airline so I hear the truth)

Anyway, does anyone know of alternatives and prices?

My dogs weigh 55# each and they are 9 yrs old.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 11:32 PM

10 posts, read 78,803 times
A canoe? Or... you could call Matson and ask them. But I'd think 5 hours in an airplane would be less tramatic than 7 days on a container ship. Or you could rent a private Jet.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:27 PM

27 posts, read 130,366 times
Default Dogs in cargo

Thanks for the reply. The cargo is not even an option. I have a family member who works for a major carrier (management) and even he says don't do it.

There are so many problems and deaths that the government actually makes them now tell how many die. They aren't made to hold any higher standards, they just have to report how many expire per flight.

The cargo's are not pressurized as much as the cabin which is why sometime you get your luggage and your shampoo explodes, etc. It's not condusive for animals.

Anyway, thanks I was just hoping someone knew of another option.

A cruise ship that they could be accessed by me would be great That was what I was hoping for. I wasn't thinking of Matson.

Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:55 AM

29,844 posts, read 49,467,343 times
There is actually a plane FOR animals, but it costs mucho bucks... here's the info, if you want to find out more: http://www.companionair.com/

I personally understand your fears, since I'm extremely nervous at the thought of flying my babies (1 dog & 2 cats currently)... they can't transport a suitcase without breaking something, so who knows what they do to animals. My old cat Gizmo actually flew a few times, from SF - Philadephia and back, and also to Oregon. She had to go in cargo for the return cross-country trip, but was able to go on the plane with me for the outgoing flight. She survived the trips, but gawd was I a nervous wreck!! Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose...

P.S. I'm not sure about the specifics, but you can bring them on the plane if they're certified as therapy or "helper" dogs... one lady on a reality show got her Weimaraner certified, with - I think - having an anxiety disorder that he helped with. Don't know if you want to buck the rules like that, but it's something to think about!

EDIT: I just looked through the companion air site, and they don't have any flights scheduled yet. They're also quite a bit cheaper than I'd thought, so maybe I'll keep them in mind for future plans.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:56 AM

29,844 posts, read 49,467,343 times
Oh, and regarding the cruise ship idea, I think there are boats that allow animals... it's possible they'd have to be kenneled the whole trip, but that's probably better than flying them! I'll let you know if I find any info on that.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 8,510 times
don't forget about the quarintine laws regarding animals. They may still need to get quarintined once the get here. be sure to check.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 PM

53 posts, read 463,010 times
I think that companion flight is just someone to do the shipping paperwork for you. Your Dog still goes in cargo. I may be wrong but I looked into that before. As far as the quarantine goes,they no longer are as long as you do the 80 tons of paper work before and then they are only held at the airport for around 4 hrs.

In regards to the ship...there was one ship that took dogs but the deal is it is round trip and you have to get back on the ship to go to the original departing area and the dogs are not allowed off the ship. So that is out. I've looked into that also.

I was wondering if anyone knows about private jets? I mean I am not sure how many animals they could fly but maybe a bunch of people could split the air fare.

There has to be another option out there.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:23 PM

14,499 posts, read 25,616,749 times
Lightbulb FYI- Cunard lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrockglass View Post
Thanks for the reply. The cargo is not even an option. I have a family member who works for a major carrier (management) and even he says don't do it.

There are so many problems and deaths that the government actually makes them now tell how many die. They aren't made to hold any higher standards, they just have to report how many expire per flight.

The cargo's are not pressurized as much as the cabin which is why sometime you get your luggage and your shampoo explodes, etc. It's not condusive for animals.

Anyway, thanks I was just hoping someone knew of another option.

A cruise ship that they could be accessed by me would be great That was what I was hoping for. I wasn't thinking of Matson.

Thanks again.
I was able to even keep my dog in the room on Cunard cruise- you may be able to use them- saw that show also about the airline cargo- temperatures so high the animal asphyxiates. Hope this helps.

sunny

Old 01-27-2007, 12:57 AM

13 posts, read 157,130 times
Just to calm the fears we had 2 cats flown over oct 2005 with no problems and no quarantine, but we did all the paperwork and paid all the fees (followed the rules) ... it did mean a lot of time with vets before we shipped the cats and a few phone calls to the state office to make sure we had all the proper paperwork and probably cost us $1,000 each to get them here but it all went smooth.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 PM

7 posts, read 40,471 times
Default flying pets

We flew our family pet out here in December of 2003 without any problems. We had to wait until just the right time of year to fly her out because she is an Olde English Bulldog and they are extremely sensitive to temperatures. It couldn't be freezing & couldn't be over 70 degrees. She flew from KC to Honolulu just fine.

I guess you'll have to decide what's more important - leaving your beloved pet behind knowing he/she'll be safe or taking a chance (which, most like your pet will be fine) and having him or her out here with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii