Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:47 PM

19 posts, read 21,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
Baiting fish hooks?
Scrubbing surf boards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 08:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Apparently an unusual response, I never wanted to move to Hawai'i. My husband had job opportunities potentially in Kona or Colorado. I was really rooting for Colorado. We stayed in Kona longer than we've ever lived anywhere else.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
So many people post 'moving to Hawaii' threads on here, probably more than any other place. So I'm curious. What are the reasons you have considered or toyed with the idea of moving to Hawaii, or why did you move?
20 years as an expat in Asia...I like the ethnic Asian feel that permeates Hawaii...and I wouldn't mind being back somewhere on U.S. Soil (although I question that with the healthcare, high prices, car culture, etc.)

But, culturally, I find Hawaii to be quite agreeable.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:08 PM

97 posts, read 139,002 times
I grew up in a majority minority city and I like the diversity of Hawaii; the climate makes my hair and skin very happy; cliche coming - I feel at home when I am there and have found a community I love; before buying, visited ~10 times including times when I have had to work while there so I am not purely vacation-jaded; i love the weather, the people, the scenery, the laid-back pace, the casual lifestyle, spending more time outside, no triple digits...

Old 06-14-2017, 09:26 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
I had a few friends move out to Oahu from Seattle to escape the traffic and higher real estate there (yes you heard that right, it's a madhouse in Seattle *for now*).

Oh and of course the seemingly never-ending rain and horrible populous up there as well.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
I had a few friends move out to Oahu from Seattle to escape the traffic
They must've been really disappointed

Old 06-14-2017, 09:38 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
My daughter was stationed in Honolulu for 3 years working at Trippler. I had two 3 week trips out from the east coast to visit her, and both times stayed exclusively on Oahu.

I had always "dreamed" of living in Hawaii. The two longer trips out there gave me a good flavor of the island. And we didn't just hang around Waikiki Beach and play tourist. My daughter knew the island. We went up 93 to Kaena Point State Park. It was a beautiful quiet end of the road beach. Locals were spearfishing, and there was tons of space on the beach. Lanikai Beach was also awesome. And I personally loved Waikiki and it's iconic feel. Climbed Koko Head and Diamond Head. I could easily keep Hawaii in my dreams. But that's where it will stay.

I could not be stuck in a place that I can drive around the entire mass of land in less than a day. It takes 20+ hours to drive from Boston to Daytona. I could not live in a geographically confined space with only boats or airplanes to get me out of Dodge. Yet, to date I could and would move to the dutch side of St Maarten permanently. That's a different dream where geographical confinement is part of the dream...owning a beach bar and living there is another part.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:16 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They must've been really disappointed
It's bad on Oahu, no doubt, but trust me when I say it's nothing like Seattle or LA.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:53 AM

79 posts, read 231,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
It's bad on Oahu, no doubt, but trust me when I say it's nothing like Seattle or LA.
Got to agree here. Came from LA recently and I was so so happy to be back in Oahu Traffic!!!! And the uh constant road rage in LA left much to be desired. I see why they are number 1 for vehicle violence! Yet another reason why I love HAWAII!!!

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/think-...ays-new-study/

Extreme Road Rage Epidemic: Los Angeles is the No. 1 City in America for Vehicle Violence. | Manibog.com

Old 06-20-2017, 04:22 PM

268 posts, read 383,433 times
I've been throughout the Caribbean and other tropical climates (Palau, Australia, Hawaii) and knew this was the climate for me. I despise frigid weather. The people are generally more friendly and I like the pace of life. It's very relaxed and low key, relatively speaking.
Attached Thumbnails
For those who have never lived in Hawaii before, what makes you want to move there?-fullsizerender.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii