Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 09:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,301,995 times

Advertisements

Would you say that Honolulu/Hawaii has a 'Literary' Culture? And if so, where?

I don't naturally think of one, but the Islands do attract writers, such as Twain, etc. There does seem to be writers coming out of Hawaii as well.

Would you say that Hawaii/Honolulu has a Literary Culture? Is it interested in having one? Does it have one, but doesn't realize it? Is it supportive of one? Does it not necessarily have the culture for it?

Not just for writers coming out of Hawaii, but how about bookstores, radio shows, or media culture that would support and advertise for it?

Thoughts...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 09:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Would you say that Honolulu/Hawaii has a 'Literary' Culture?
Personal opinion - not really.

And I doubt the Hawaii Public School system is producing many of the future Mark Twain's of the world.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:01 AM

451 posts, read 415,740 times
Quote:
Thoughts...?

If there is one, I haven't found it, although to be honest, I haven't been looking very hard. It would seem that today's literary culture has degraded to text messaging, and that is not just a Hawaii thing. It is a world-wide phenomenon.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:01 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,795,926 times
Since Hawaiian did not have a written version of the language (it's an oral culture) there has only been 200 years for a literature to develop.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:34 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,277,660 times
Quote:

I don't naturally think of one, but the Islands do attract writers, such as Twain, etc. There does seem to be writers coming out of Hawaii as well.

Would you say that Hawaii/Honolulu has a Literary Culture? Is it interested in having one? Does it have one, but doesn't realize it? Is it supportive of one? Does it not necessarily have the culture for it?

Not just for writers coming out of Hawaii, but how about bookstores, radio shows, or media culture that would support and advertise for it?

Thoughts...?
Yes.

There are plenty of writers' workshops, retreats, and conferences, such as these…
The 2017 Hawai’i Writers’ Retreat » Kahini
https://campmokuleia.com/retreats/writers/2017-program/
Kauai Writers Festival - Kauai Writers Conference
https://hawaii.scbwi.org/events/2017...al-conference/

A few independent bookstores and retailers…
Na Mea Hawaii
Basically Books
Kona Stories Book Store

Literary journals...
Bamboo Ridge Press - Journal of Hawai'i Literature and Arts
Hawaiʻi Review
MĀNOA -- A Pacific Journal of International Writing
Hawaiʻi Pacific Review

A non-profit organization…
Pacific Writers Connection

And, writers with ties to Hawaiʻi, such as...
Chris McKinney
Lois-Ann Yamanaka
Eric Chock
Kiana Davenport
Kauʻi Hart Hemmings
Nora Okja Keller
Tara Bray Smith

Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,209,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Personal opinion - not really.

And I doubt the Hawaii Public School system is producing many of the future Mark Twain's of the world.
/thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
And, writers with ties to Hawaiʻi, such as...
Chris McKinney
Lois-Ann Yamanaka
Eric Chock
Kiana Davenport
Kauʻi Hart Hemmings
Nora Okja Keller
Tara Bray Smith
I've read a couple Chris McKinney books, and I REALLY liked them. But, he has some critics when I've viewed amazon, but I suppose what writer doesn't. I really like his work though.

Lois-Ann Yamanaka is an author I've been wanting to read, but when I look at her book jackets, the stories never quite appeal to me.

I'll have to check out the others!

Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I've read a couple Chris McKinney books, and I REALLY liked them. But, he has some critics when I've viewed amazon, but I suppose what writer doesn't. I really like his work though.

Lois-Ann Yamanaka is an author I've been wanting to read, but when I look at her book jackets, the stories never quite appeal to me.

I'll have to check out the others!
Overall, I like Chris McKinney's books also; however, I haven't read his latest one, "Yakudoshi: Age of Calamity."

As for Lois-Ann Yamanaka, I've known her for over 20 years. Nowadays, she's more focused on producing a new generation of writers at her Naʻau Learning Center, instead of authoring books. Here's a link to it…
Naʻau Learning Center

Here are a few more writers with ties to Hawaiʻi that I forgot about…
Mark Panek
Rodney Morales
Gary Pak
Shawna Yang Ryan
Eric Paul Shaffer
Cathy Song
Kirby Wright

Old 06-10-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Overall, I like Chris McKinney's books also; however, I haven't read his latest one, "Yakudoshi: Age of Calamity."

As for Lois-Ann Yamanaka, I've known her for over 20 years. Nowadays, she's more focused on producing a new generation of writers at her Naʻau Learning Center, instead of authoring books. Here's a link to it…
Naʻau Learning Center

Here are a few more writers with ties to Hawaiʻi that I forgot about…
Mark Panek
Rodney Morales
Gary Pak
Shawna Yang Ryan
Eric Paul Shaffer
Cathy Song
Kirby Wright
I ordered Eli Davis' "When You're Down in Honolulu" recently. Looks self-published by Createspace, but also looks like a good read. Published this year, 2017.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I ordered Eli Davis' "When You're Down in Honolulu" recently. Looks self-published by Createspace, but also looks like a good read. Published this year, 2017.
I'll have to add that one to my summer reading list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: