Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:28 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times

Advertisements

Good job and thanks for the report!

Have you gotten everything out of the boxes yet?

We've still got boxes under the house from when we moved to this house several years ago. I'm sure it's all good stuff in those boxes, but by now there's probably centipedes, too. Eewe! We didn't even move that far, probably all of about three miles, but those boxes are still down there lurking around somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 11:55 AM

36 posts, read 102,024 times
Hi Rain Monkey,

I checked my quote and the 20' Matson container was actually $6109. It was dropped at my home in San Diego. After we packed it the driver came back and it was trucked to Long Beach (LA). It then was loaded onto the boat to Oahu then finally to Kauai. The $6109 is only to the port on Kauai. We then paid another driver to drop the container at our storage unit so we could unload it. I think that was about $175.

Aloha!

Old 08-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Hi Hotzcatz,

Haha! No, we haven't got everything out of the boxes yet. We've unpacked and organized our 13 checked bags, that was stuff we wanted access to right away. But, most of everything else is in our storage units. Yep, we got 2 storage units. Space is limited in our condo and with four kids it got filled fast! I joke with the kids that we're trendy with our "tiny house living".

Aloha Hotzcatz, I always enjoy your posts!

Old 08-27-2017, 08:00 PM

Aloha SunnySideUpS, thanks for the kind words! *blush*

Four kids and only a twenty foot container, you did good! Hopefully they will be helpful when it comes time to getting things out of boxes.

I'm not a personal fan of storage units, it seems to me that once they've been filled they rarely get emptied out and go away. The more space allotted to 'stuff' the more 'stuff' will appear to fill the space. Plus the more 'stuff' the more time you gotta spend keeping it organized and then there's less time for swimming and other fun things.

Hopefully with four kids, though, there will be lots of time for fun things. They're always a good excuse to go out and do fun things. Not that as one of those adults you'd mind going to the beach, but it doesn't happen as often unless you've got enthusiastic helpers.

What's been the best thing about Kauai so far now that you've gotten your container unpacked?

Old 08-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Aloha,

The best thing about Kauai for us since unpacking the container is the slow pace of life. There is so much to love about Kauai! The clean air, the beautiful green mountains, sandy beaches and clear water. The people of Kauai are friendly and reflect the beauty of the island. If you read my old posts you'll know that it was a long awaited dream. We feel blessed to be living here.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:53 PM

451 posts, read 411,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySideUpS View Post
Hi Rain Monkey,

I checked my quote and the 20' Matson container was actually $6109. It was dropped at my home in San Diego. After we packed it the driver came back and it was trucked to Long Beach (LA). It then was loaded onto the boat to Oahu then finally to Kauai. The $6109 is only to the port on Kauai. We then paid another driver to drop the container at our storage unit so we could unload it. I think that was about $175.

Aloha!

Thanks for the reply, Sunnyside. It is beneficial for folks considering a potential move to know the container cost. Unfortunately due to the horrendous flooding and yet unrealized damage to the Texas
gulf coast, we might find the price of refined petroleum products escalating higher with a subsequent escalation in near future shipping costs.

As a side note, I only hope and wish the best for those folks in south Texas and Louisiana who are in the
midst of dealing with very real danger as well as what may be realized as profound personal tragedy.
My heart truly goes out to them all.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 PM

I heard once that Hawaii's oil doesn't come from the mainland. Which means you'd expect we'd be exempt from any price rises, but we will see how that goes. Still, the ships go from the mainland thru here and loop around, so I suppose they get some of their fuel from the mainland at what will be higher prices.

As SunnySideUpS has mentioned, the slower life here is a great thing and I'd guess a lot of the reason for things to be slower here is our distance from the mainland. As well as everywhere else.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I heard once that Hawaii's oil doesn't come from the mainland. Which means you'd expect we'd be exempt from any price rises, but we will see how that goes.
That is true. Oil generally doesn't come from the mainland. That's actually not a good thing with currency fluctuations and the US is the #3 oil producer in the world.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:54 PM

451 posts, read 411,723 times
Last evening, I sat here on a hillside above Honolulu with thunder shaking our home and lightening flashing. The rain fell in torrents, and our cell phones lit up with flash flood warnings. I thought about those tough and resilient neighbors of ours living on the gulf coast of Texas and Louisiana, and I realized that there is an unspoken degree of proximity that could be realized between what they are currently suffering and what we in Hawaii could face in the future. I wish all of them the best.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 479 times
Do you happen to have a picture of the ramp you built?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: