Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:55 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
This realtor has been on the evening news complaining that his name is being used in conjunction with rental scams.
Be VERY skeptical!
Don't just be skeptical - the exact unit is in this news story.

Local realtor claims scammers used his name to lure renters into - Honolulu, Hawaii news, sports & weather - KITV Channel 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 12:01 PM

960 posts, read 1,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
I did get some responses. One was from this ad: https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/6270286655.html
The view looks gorgeous and priced very nicely. The dude emailed me back quickly and wanted to know my name and occupation and move in date. Then he said the unit is not available until the date before I plan to move because he has a honemooner couple who wanted "complete privacy" and that if I want to I can reserve it by paying 1st month rent and down payment and I can get this apartment.

The 2nd email had some mildly odd punctuation errors that could be innocent.

I am a bit skeptical but keeping an open mind.
Just knowing the location and seeing the unit photo's you can pretty much tell it is a scam. The rent is too low for that unit size, location and view.

Also, anyone who says the unit can't be shown until the day before you move in and wants you to "reserve" the unit now, without seeing it first, by paying first month rent and deposit is likely just scamming you.

You could always work with a property management management company and they will know for sure what's legit and what is not. Captain Cook Real Estate is one such company that handles rental units.
There are other's as well.

At least they can save you from scams.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 PM

518 posts, read 764,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I thought you were trying to live by Ala Moana?
I've been keeping an open mind and since I do have a rental car for 6 months duration I am open to a bit of commuting...IF it means a great unit with great view, spacious and at great price. Too bad it looks like that specific ad is a scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
This realtor has been on the evening news complaining that his name is being used in conjunction with rental scams.
Be VERY skeptical!
DANG! I knew it sounded very suspicious. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Wow wow wow. Scary stuff.

I'm going to immediately report this to CL and potentially send this information to the local Honolulu PD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Just knowing the location and seeing the unit photo's you can pretty much tell it is a scam. The rent is too low for that unit size, location and view.

Also, anyone who says the unit can't be shown until the day before you move in and wants you to "reserve" the unit now, without seeing it first, by paying first month rent and deposit is likely just scamming you.

You could always work with a property management management company and they will know for sure what's legit and what is not. Captain Cook Real Estate is one such company that handles rental units.
There are other's as well.

At least they can save you from scams.
Thanks for the referral!

I'm going to see 2 units this afternoon and both seem to be associated with realty companies so that makes it more legitimate!

Old 08-22-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I've been keeping an open mind and since I do have a rental car for 6 months duration I am open to a bit of commuting...IF it means a great unit with great view, spacious and at great price. Too bad it looks like that specific ad is a scam.

DANG! I knew it sounded very suspicious. Thanks

Wow wow wow. Scary stuff.

I'm going to immediately report this to CL and potentially send this information to the local Honolulu PD?

Thanks for the referral!

I'm going to see 2 units this afternoon and both seem to be associated with realty companies so that makes it more legitimate!
Once you get a unit and move in, come back and give us an update: what you ended up finding, how you found it, and what the experience was like.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Once you get a unit and move in, come back and give us an update: what you ended up finding, how you found it, and what the experience was like.
Haha yup!

Saw 2 units and neither one I felt a good vibe from.

1 unit is a 2BR in Waikiki with mountain/canal views. Older building, older appliance, no lanai, the owner is a couple fro Cali that has multiple condos and they come to Hawaii several times a year to care for the condos and do minor vacationing. The interior is currently being remodeled so it's a big messy looking. Says be ready by weekend.

Another unit is a 1BR in Admiral Thomas building in the Makiki area. Still fairly close and is potentially walkable to things in Ala Moana/Waikiki but probably may need a car. View is amazing, the unit is on 24th floor facing south shore and you can see the ocean but beacuse the building is a bit up north, you can see the shoreline being interrupted with many other high rises. But the height is very nice. Interior is much more modern/nicer and well appointed and the washer/dryer is newer too.

The downside to the Admiral Thomas unit is the real estate agent seemed a bit off....older asian lady holding a green folder in hand greeted me at the door. Asked some questions about my occupation and then let me in to see the place. Gave fairly generic answers and did not speak much at all while we were touring the building. Usually real estate persons are eager to talk your ear off about all the wonderful features and specs of the unit...but not this one. The whole thing ended in less than 10min as I just walked around, took pics, and asked some questions. It's also weird since her email lists an office address but she just met at the condo and also when I google mapped her "office address" it turned up some bank/strip mall store area.....so a bit weird. Conroy Realty LLC is the company name. So after hearing about potential scammers from work colleagues, I'm slightly skeptical.

Got another showing lined up for thursday for a 2 bedroom with incredible views and slightly more expensive and the guy seems like a legit real estate agent.

3 other places already said they rented them out OR they require 1 year lease (I can only do 6 months).

It seems that bargain units are those that are legit, and has ocean views with modern amenities and relatively spacious AND can do 6mo or month to month....if they are around $3000/mo then they go fast.

Units that are closer to $2000 are either smaller, far away, no view, and older or if its too good to be true its a scam (like I personally experienced).

Units that are jaw dropping gorgeous (un-obstructed ocean front view in a large high floor modern unit) are easily running in the $4500+/mo range

Old 08-25-2017, 10:55 AM

Good resources/tips in just the few days I've been condo searching here.

Great websites for looking over buildings/map of the Honolulu area: HIcondos.com Breaks down neighborhoods by region and then lists each building on a map that's clickable and shows unit plans, views from units (broken down by number so you know what view you get if you know the unit number) and other info on the building.

Hicentral.com is a quite reputable site used by HI realtors to advertise homes/condos. Has more listings than CL/Zillow and can sort by building. It's not very good at sorting "furnished" or lease terms (simply due to likely realtor preference) but it's very useful if you sort by price and building/region.

CL is trust worthy as long as you confirm the listing on other more reputable sites like Hotpads/Zillow/HiCentral. Some CL seems legit if you call and its an owner that is renting out a basement or something.

Honolulu seems to be experiencing a boom of high rise buildings. I see cranes and construction nearly everywhere I go, including right outside my hotel window. This is likely not surprising and much more experienced/local Hawaiians can expand on this trend than me obviously. But with this said, newer buildings tend to be closer to the ocean/coastline for that coveted "unobstructed" ocean/beach views.

For example the Nauru tower is quite new and has gorgeous views in its units overlooking the pacific/beaches and just across the street from the beach/ocean essentially. And these units have prices to match. For these condos, I've been seen prices in the $4000-$5000+++/mo range and with 1 year leases as well.

Waikiki area has been recommended to me to completely avoid as it is a heavily crowded area for tourists and thus may have lot of late night noise due to lots of people who live here who don't have to get up in the morning.

I'm actually specifically avoiding Waikiki areas now.

Diamond Head seems more private/secluded, not as many high rises but units availability are also fairly limited.

Here's the great map on Hicondos.com. Very useful (thanks for a fellow CD poster who PM'ed me)

Old 08-28-2017, 08:23 PM

206 posts, read 186,942 times
They just built a condo rental building in my area of Hawaii Kai a few years ago. I know they still have units available for rent within your range. Its about 20 mins from town, but Hawaii Kai is one of the nicer areas on the island. You can check out their website here:

7000 Hawaii Kai Drive - A unique rental apartment complex in Hawaii Kai

Old 09-11-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
They just built a condo rental building in my area of Hawaii Kai a few years ago. I know they still have units available for rent within your range. Its about 20 mins from town, but Hawaii Kai is one of the nicer areas on the island. You can check out their website here:

7000 Hawaii Kai Drive - A unique rental apartment complex in Hawaii Kai
Great thanks!! Looked at few of those and it seems some are income-controlled and due to timing won't be able to get into those as I already saw many units near my work and decided on one so thanks again though!

And thanks to all who have contributed immensely to this thread and it has helped me quite a bit. It's been 3 weeks now and I still feel like a tourist (mainly probably due to my stay at a hotel still) but will be moving into my condo rental tomorrow!!!

The process for looking for condos to me was similar to how I looked for cars. First you need to setup a budget and a few Must-Haves. For me it was a washer/dryer in unit and of course it had to be furnished. (Ocean views were a plus!). ANd of course location. If you can help it it's nice to drive around and stay in a hotel/vacation rental for a bit to feel out the different neighborhoods and depending on work location as well. H-1 coming into Downtown/Ala Moana/Waikiki area from the west (east bound H1) seems incredibly congested and conversely in the rush hour the direction is reversed to keep that in mind.

The key though is to look often and look daily using several websites. I obviously don't have local connections so that's out...if you have them great. For example I just learned that a coworker's daughter works in a realtor's office.

My strategy is basically daily search (actually about 3-4 times a day) of 3 major sites: HiCentral.com (seems to be a fairly official looking realty listing site for sales and rentals, very legit), Craigslist (watch out for scammers of course), and Zillow.com.

And send out as many feelers/emails/calls as you can and keep everything in a word document/excel of unit #s and compare features/prices.

One thing is for sure though....it is expensive! For anyone who is planning to move out here, look at those sites and get a sense of how much rent is before coming in. And at minimum secure A job before coming.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Great thanks!! Looked at few of those and it seems some are income-controlled and due to timing won't be able to get into those as I already saw many units near my work and decided on one so thanks again though!

And thanks to all who have contributed immensely to this thread and it has helped me quite a bit. It's been 3 weeks now and I still feel like a tourist (mainly probably due to my stay at a hotel still) but will be moving into my condo rental tomorrow!!!

The process for looking for condos to me was similar to how I looked for cars. First you need to setup a budget and a few Must-Haves. For me it was a washer/dryer in unit and of course it had to be furnished. (Ocean views were a plus!). ANd of course location. If you can help it it's nice to drive around and stay in a hotel/vacation rental for a bit to feel out the different neighborhoods and depending on work location as well. H-1 coming into Downtown/Ala Moana/Waikiki area from the west (east bound H1) seems incredibly congested and conversely in the rush hour the direction is reversed to keep that in mind.

The key though is to look often and look daily using several websites. I obviously don't have local connections so that's out...if you have them great. For example I just learned that a coworker's daughter works in a realtor's office.

My strategy is basically daily search (actually about 3-4 times a day) of 3 major sites: HiCentral.com (seems to be a fairly official looking realty listing site for sales and rentals, very legit), Craigslist (watch out for scammers of course), and Zillow.com.

And send out as many feelers/emails/calls as you can and keep everything in a word document/excel of unit #s and compare features/prices.

One thing is for sure though....it is expensive! For anyone who is planning to move out here, look at those sites and get a sense of how much rent is before coming in. And at minimum secure A job before coming.
Congrats on finding the place and thanks for coming back often to share the experience with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: